Pliny Petes Official XFL Chat Thread 2023 Season Edition

And to think that there are actually folks that think that start up leagues like the new USFL and the XFL should have their matches in the middle of every NFL season. Can you believe that?

Over the years, I've actually met folks that have said that these matches "don't count" unless they take place in the middle of every NFL season. When I say that I've met folks, I mean that I've been in the same room with them.

Do they have no idea how powerful and ubiquitous the NFL is? Do they NOT realize that having matches in the middle of every NFL season is probably suicide?
The NCAA, NHL, NBA, and MLB are also powerful and competitive. There is always competition.

The NCAA, NHL, NBA, and MLB are also powerful and competitive. There is always competition.

In a way, there's always competition. That much is true. However, I really don't think that any of these start up leagues should have matches in the middle of every NFL season.

The NFL is way too powerful for that (especially when someone considers the fact that these start up leagues are offering something that's similar to what the NFL is offering).

Welp, according to the Rock the XFL is a passion project of his and Garcia's, and they're not looking to make money off the XFL right now. They just want to provide a place for players to showcase their skills in route to another shot in the NFL. The next season dates and TV are already being secured.

I hope it continues and starts to grow more. Most of the games have been pretty fun to watch.

Welp, according to the Rock the XFL is a passion project of his and Garcia's, and they're not looking to make money off the XFL right now. They just want to provide a place for players to showcase their skills in route to another shot in the NFL. The next season dates and TV are already being secured.

I hope it continues and starts to grow more. Most of the games have been pretty fun to watch.
Yeah, but all investors are only going to be willing to lose so much money for so long. We will see.

The XFL enjoyed a bump in ratings in week 6. Putting games on network television (ABC) instead of ESPN or FX clearly makes a big difference. Final ratings on DC/Houston game are not yet available.

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/breaking-down-xfl-tv-ratings-from-week-six/

XFL2023 Week Six TV Ratings:

Orlando/Seattle (ABC): 1.047M
Vegas/St. Louis (FX): 371,000
Arlington/SA (ABC): 753,000
DC/Houston: N/A ESPN+ numbers not included.

Games were split 50/50 between cable and broadcast networks.

Yeah, but all investors are only going to be willing to lose so much money for so long. We will see.

The XFL enjoyed a bump in ratings in week 6. Putting games on network television (ABC) instead of ESPN or FX clearly makes a big difference. Final ratings on DC/Houston game are not yet available.

https://xflnewsroom.com/news/breaking-down-xfl-tv-ratings-from-week-six/

XFL2023 Week Six TV Ratings:

Orlando/Seattle (ABC): 1.047M
Vegas/St. Louis (FX): 371,000
Arlington/SA (ABC): 753,000
DC/Houston: N/A ESPN+ numbers not included.

Games were split 50/50 between cable and broadcast networks.

I've read that the streaming numbers are doing well, though. Of course, numbers aren't released, but the people in charge were pleased with those numbers.

I've read that the streaming numbers are doing well, though. Of course, numbers aren't released, but the people in charge were pleased with those numbers.
That is good news then. I hope the ratings carry a profit margin (which is not easy to accomplish).

@RedBeard_ I am guessing this made you extremely horny and then crushed your soul when you found out it was only a joke.

Wow, another OT shoot out ending. Pretty cool to see it again in the same weekend.

It looks like ratings are rising again now that March Madness is over:

https://nfldraftdiamonds.com/2023/04/xfl-week-8-tv-ratings/

Week 8 TV Ratings (Average Viewership, per Nielsen)
Saturday: St. Louis-Vegas (ESPN): 868k
Saturday: Orlando-Arlington (ESPN): 679k
Sunday: San Antonio-Houston (ABC): 1.006 million viewers Sunday:
Seattle-DC (ESPN2): 487k (ESPN+ streaming numbers not included)

If you're watching the Houston/Vegas game, are you getting a delay in what shows on the screen from what the announcers say? Do the announcers call the result of a play long before it actually plays out on the screen?

I like the XFL and look forward to their playoffs. One thing I immediately noticed watching this first USFL game is how much better their production is. Looks way better than xfl/espn. Probably explains why they let ufc handle their broadcasting.

I like the XFL and look forward to their playoffs. One thing I immediately noticed watching this first USFL game is how much better their production is. Looks way better than xfl/espn. Probably explains why they let ufc handle their broadcasting.
I don't find the USFL to be any better. In fact, I noticed they have tried to borrow some of the XFL's concepts (e.g., live official's review), but do not execute them as well. Also, it is worth noting that most of these USFL players are guys who could not make XFL rosters.

I don't find the USFL to be any better. In fact, I noticed they have tried to borrow some of the XFL's concepts (e.g., live official's review), but do not execute them as well. Also, it is worth noting that most of these USFL players are guys who could not make XFL rosters.
Im guessing you didnt watch the league last year. Its the opposite and the xfl borrowed alot from what the usfl did last year. A lot of these players are legit like scooby wright and case cookus. I dont care whos better just enjoying more spring football. Fox has a better looking product imo all i was saying.

Back