Pliny Petes Official XFL Chat Thread 2023 Season Edition

It is true.

What's your theory on why the XFL has half the opening weekend ratings it did in 2020?
Maybe nobody knew it was on. You didn't seem to know. You wanted to start the official XFL thread, but you didn't get around to it until the first game was almost over. Literally nobody in New York or LA would give a shit if they had an XFL team. USFL and AAAAAAF also had better ratings than this version of XFL and neither of those ligs had a NY or LA team.

Maybe nobody knew it was on. You didn't seem to know. You wanted to start the official XFL thread, but you didn't get around to it until the first game was almost over. Literally nobody in New York or LA would give a shit if they had an XFL team. USFL and AAAAAAF also had better ratings than this version of XFL and neither of those ligs had a NY or LA team.
I knew about the games. I just forgot to post until after I was already watching. Good to know you are paying attention.

Of course they are not going to know that the game is on if no team is in their market (and therefore not covered by local sports reports). All you need is people to tune in to watch, and considering NYC and LA have greater area populations that dwarf most other U.S. cities, the potential for numbers to tune in for those games is significant. People did watch XFL games in the NYC and LA markets in 2020, and I bet those cities represented a significant chunk of advertising revenue for the league.

The reason the NFL didn't have any teams in LA for years is because there was no good stadium option. The moment LA got a new stadium, two NFL teams moved right into LA because that is where the money is. It doesn't matter so much if attendance is weak at games. It matters if people are watching on television.

I knew about the games. I just forgot to post until after I was already watching. Good to know you are paying attention.

Of course they are not going to know that the game is on if no team is in their market (and therefore not covered by local sports reports). All you need is people to tune in to watch, and considering NYC and LA have greater area populations that dwarf most other U.S. cities, the potential for numbers to tune in for those games is significant. People did watch XFL games in the NYC and LA markets in 2020, and I bet those cities represented a significant chunk of advertising revenue for the league.

The reason the NFL didn't have any teams in LA for years is because there was no good stadium option. The moment LA got a new stadium, two NFL teams moved right into LA because that is where the money is. It doesn't matter so much if attendance is weak at games. It matters if people are watching on television.
The NY team did get decent TV ratings, but the problem was that nobody in NY or LA gave a shit enough to actually go to the games. Here is an article on why they didn't go back to NY.

The Sunday afternoon 2/9 Guardians-Vipers game averaged a 2.1 rating and 3.39 million viewers—the largest audience for a non-NFL pro football game since Week 6 of the original XFL in 2001 (3.67 million).

However, ratings aside, the Guardians’ attendance figures were modest at best. In only two home games, New York averaged 14,875 fans per game. Second to last in the XFL in 2020, only ahead of LA (13,124)

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/the-rock-comments-on-the-xfls-decision-to-pass-on-new-york/

The production seems to be better this game. McCarron with some good throws out there. They just need to be caught. lol

The NY team did get decent TV ratings, but the problem was that nobody in NY or LA gave a shit enough to actually go to the games. Here is an article on why they didn't go back to NY.

The Sunday afternoon 2/9 Guardians-Vipers game averaged a 2.1 rating and 3.39 million viewers—the largest audience for a non-NFL pro football game since Week 6 of the original XFL in 2001 (3.67 million).

However, ratings aside, the Guardians’ attendance figures were modest at best. In only two home games, New York averaged 14,875 fans per game. Second to last in the XFL in 2020, only ahead of LA (13,124)

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/the-rock-comments-on-the-xfls-decision-to-pass-on-new-york/
I don't understand why you think attendance in the stadiums is that relevant though. It represents a small fraction of the league's revenue. By far, the biggest source of revenue is from advertisers on television broadcasts. If your league isn't making money off of advertising revenue, your league will not survive. And, if you are not advertising to viewers in New York and LA, the money you get from advertising revenue is far, far less (in large part due to the fact that most people in those markets won't watch if they don't have a team).

I am 100% correct on this.

I don't understand why you think attendance in the stadiums is that relevant though. It represents a small fraction of the league's revenue. By far, the biggest source of revenue is from advertisers on television broadcasts. If your league isn't making money off of advertising revenue, your league will not survive. And, if you are not advertising to viewers in New York and LA, the money you get from advertising revenue is far, far less (in large part due to the fact that most people in those markets won't watch if they don't have a team).

I am 100% correct on this.
No you aren't. If having teams in those cities were such a no brainer money maker they would have put teams there. They literally said economics was the reason they didn't have a team in NY. That and the fact they were playing in a real pro stadium that looked like shit on TV because they couldn't fill 1/8th of the place. Why do you even try to disagree with The Rock?

No you aren't. If having teams in those cities were such a no brainer money maker they would have put teams there. They literally said economics was the reason they didn't have a team in NY. That and the fact they were playing in a real pro stadium that looked like shit on TV because they couldn't fill 1/8th of the place. Why do you even try to disagree with The Rock?

I am. These experts probably didn't expect their ratings to get cut in half either.

I am. These experts probably didn't expect their ratings to get cut in half either.
You have provided nothing to back up any of what you say. Your only argument is big city=more people=more money.

That was a pretty fun game, so far this league is delivering on the X in excitement
Good job, Dwayne

St. Louis has been clutch in the final minutes of the 4th quarter in their first two games. It was a fun game to watch

AJ Mac came off great in that post-game interview. Very gracious

You have provided nothing to back up any of what you say. Your only argument is big city=more people=more money.
That is simplified, but it isn't wrong. If you are capable of mathematics, you can figure it out. Are you disputing that New York and LA don't generate the most revenue?

New York is the largest media market in the world and LA is the second largest media market in the country. It's the reason why all long established sports leagues have teams based in New York and LA (often more than one franchise). What other cities in the U.S. have more than one major professional team in the same league? There is a reason for that...

That is simplified, but it isn't wrong. If you are capable of mathematics, you can figure it out. Are you disputing that New York and LA don't generate the most revenue?

New York is the largest media market in the world and LA is the second largest media market in the country. It's the reason why all long established sports leagues have teams based in New York and LA (often more than one franchise). What other cities in the U.S. have more than one major professional team in the same league? There is a reason for that...
Chicago has two baseball teams.

XFL isn't a long established sports league. They tried NY/LA and it didn't work for them economically so they didn't return. Now please stop with this, it is getting out of hand.

Chicago has two baseball teams.
Good call. Chicago is the third largest media market in the country. New York and LA both have 2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, and 2 NBA teams. I wonder why.
XFL isn't a long established sports league. They tried NY/LA and it didn't work for them economically so they didn't return. Now please stop with this, it is getting out of hand.
And there is a good chance they won't be if they cannot lay roots in the two largest media markets in the country. Just wait and see what the XFL ratings look like during march madness this season.

Out of hand? You can stop any time.

Good call. Chicago is the third largest media market in the country. New York and LA both have 2 NFL teams, 2 MLB teams, and 2 NBA teams. I wonder why.
They only care about 2 teams in LA. New York’s NFL teams don’t even play in NYC. Plus all the teams in those cities, have a long history and are world famous. So you can’t expect those same cities to care about a startup league. Which is why they focused on smaller markets, since fans there are more likely to care about the team and attend games.

Back