Please share your opinion on this free-form self defense

I'm a certified self-defense instructor and I approve of this message.
If you're getting mugged by a guy with a knife - give him the money.
If someone with a knife is after you personally - run or get help.
People get stabbed and die every day, blackbelts included.
Any martial art that markets itself as "reliable knife defense" makes me cringe. :(
But say you get surprised and you don't even fully feel the first jabbing of the knife.

most of the stuff you see these guys do in wing chun type things, with all the fast slaps and hits and traps etc. even if it did work, the hits are not very strong, more like slaps, so sure you slapped me in my belly, and bopped me on my head, but the hits arent effective and somehting most boxers would walk through with a simple 123 combo.

most of the stuff you see these guys do in wing chun type things, with all the fast slaps and hits and traps etc. even if it did work, the hits are not very strong, more like slaps, so sure you slapped me in my belly, and bopped me on my head, but the hits arent effective and somehting most boxers would walk through with a simple 123 combo.
Not to mention adrenaline and drugs, wont feel most of those anyways. Lets be real, these situations, you're not fighting against Derek from Accounting, but some nasty fellas.

Not to mention adrenaline and drugs, wont feel most of those anyways. Lets be real, these situations, you're not fighting against Derek from Accounting, but some nasty fellas.

all that slippidy slap to accomplish essentially a jab. They then act is if that "jab" is a kill shot fight ender. its alot like the power rangers, 1 punch or kick and they are out.

all that slippidy slap to accomplish essentially a jab. They then act is if that "jab" is a kill shot fight ender. its alot like the power rangers, 1 punch or kick and they are out.

Power rangers was awesome, every kick landed created a spark. It's like all the baddies were walking flints. They need to fire their Engineering team

Any martial art that markets itself as "reliable knife defense" makes me cringe. :(

100%

same goes for all the womens self defense nonsense out there. Its fantasy, and they provide a false sense of confidence, tricking these women into believing they are going to beat a man up in their high heels and business women suit/skirt, all while never dropping their purse (or breaking a nail).

sorry but its not sexist, its scientific fact across majority of species that males are larger stronger and have more muscle then females. So a man and women of equal size, generally speaking the man will be stronger, its not sexist its true, this is why there are weight classes and men and womens divisions in combat sports, to make things equal.

Can a women beat a man, yes, but generally speaking they will be at a huge disadvantage for the most part.

I am friends with a 5'5" girl who lifts weights and looks like a buff dude, she also is good at muay thai, and a purple belt in BJJ. I am smaller than average man and would have no problem making short work of her.

The goal for these womens self defense scenarios should be situational awareness, weapons, and escape, not some Judo chop bull shit.

women-self-defense-3-1024x682.jpg

sd.jpg

same goes for all the womens self defense nonsense out there. Its fantasy, and they provide a false sense of confidence, tricking these women into believing they are going to beat a man up in their high heels and business women suit/skirt, all while never dropping their purse (or breaking a nail).

sorry but its not sexist, its scientific fact across majority of species that males are larger stronger and have more muscle then females. So a man and women of equal size, generally speaking the man will be stronger, its not sexist its true, this is why there are weight classes and men and womens divisions in combat sports, to make things equal.

Can a women beat a man, yes, but generally speaking they will be at a huge disadvantage for the most part.

I am friends with a 5'5" girl who lifts weights and looks like a buff dude, she also is good at muay thai, and a purple belt in BJJ. I am smaller than average man and would have no problem making short work of her.

The goal for these womens self defense scenarios should be situational awareness, weapons, and escape, not some Judo chop bull shit.

sd.jpg

In truth I have always felt that BJJ is the best form of self defence for women. As while women are less likely to be attacked than men in the streets, they are more likely to be sexually assaulted, so the guard works perfectly. I don't like any of this rake the eyes, strangle them with your handbag strap nonsense.

In truth I have always felt that BJJ is the best form of self defence for women. As while women are less likely to be attacked than men in the streets, they are more likely to be sexually assaulted, so the guard works perfectly. I don't like any of this rake the eyes, strangle them with your handbag strap nonsense.

i think bjj is the best for self defense for man or woman. yeah there is quite a bit of nonsense being taught. Women should be trained with weapons.

Not throwing shade, just curious. Who certifies self-defense instructors?

sd.jpg
My issue with women's self-defense is the mindset they're going in with; Its a fight, and with people with bad intentions. Unless you're willing to break your opponent, it's going to be a long night for you (men included as well). This whole idea of exerting minimal force while keeping the makeup and eye shadow on perfectly is not how this shit works. I swear, its like these women have never seen a chick fight in a schoolyard or the hood. That's what they should be expecting at the minimum, not some can making a lewd comment who folds after a slap and yelling.

But say you get surprised and you don't even fully feel the first jabbing of the knife.
Thats an assassination attempt , like someone sniping you from a roof , nothing you can do about it . Self defense doesnt have to take 10 years of training . " Here comes Brock to kill you !!! " . Hose him with pepper spray and run while he's distracted / has impaired vision . Simpler than all the kung phooey .
#1 "assaulters" set up their attacks . The set ups are anything that will distract you from the attack . Distraction = surprise / you cant see it coming . Thats the secret to how criminals take people out . Examples of set ups - "what time is it ?" - you go to pull out phone ... POW . 1 guy starts with you , his buddy hits you from behind . "Whats 12 x 65 ?" - wut ? = POW . ect . If you can recognize the trap you can step out of it (most of the time) .
#2 Pick 1 or 2 strikes , like an overhand and a knee in the balls . Just work on them . When a shithead tries to set up up , you just hit him or step out and then hit him . Now hes the surprised one . You do to him what he thought he was going to do to you .
Thats the most basic stuff , you can add to it later .

Last edited:
Thats an assassination attempt , like someone sniping you from a roof , nothing you can do about it . Self defense doesnt have to take 10 years of training . " Here comes Brock to kill you !!! " . Hose him with pepper spray and run while he's distracted / has impaired vision . Simpler than all the kung phooey .
#1 "assaulters" set up their attacks . The set ups are anything that will distract you from the attack . Distraction = surprise / you cant see it coming . Thats the secret to how criminals take people out . Examples of set ups - "what time is it ?" - you go to pull out phone ... POW . 1 guy starts with you , his buddy hits you from behind . "Whats 12 x 65 ?" - wut ? = POW . ect . If you can recognize the trap you can step out of it (most of the time) .
#2 Pick 1 or 2 strikes , like an overhand and a knee in the balls . Just work on them . When a shithead tries to set up up , you just hit him or step out and then hit him . Now hes the surprised one . You do to him what he thought he was going to do to you .
Thats the most basic stuff you can add to it later .
I had this all paragraphed . Then when I posted it , it un - paragraphed . Did I Sherdog wrong ?

theres plenty of chicks that can shoot guns well, but man, this video right here, some of this stuff is down right scary/dangerous.....I would blame the men teaching them in most of the clips here. Its like why would you allow her to shoot with such bad form, or such a large caliber gun, etc. I taught my wife how to use my pistol grip pump, she can handle it with bird shot, but now way with buck or slugs.

Attackers don't just stab once and wait for a reaction. If you missed the 1st stab then you missed a dozen. And if you missed a dozen then you're pretty much done.

LOL that 2nd pic is priceless. :D
What to do if assaulted by Greg from accounting?
Oh no, he's approaching with that crappy report again!
Kick him in the stomach!!!
* Bonus points if you're wearing a short skirt and everyone gets to see your panties!

Not throwing shade, just curious. Who certifies self-defense instructors?
Oh various places, just google - there's a ton of schools, courses, classes etc. Most of them are pretty basic, like some physical tests and demos, standard first aid knowledge, some crime stats and the country's legislation concerning self-defense with an exam at the end. Frankly, mine wasn't anything special but at least it's government backed, which means I can now legally run self-defense classes myself. The legislation part was the most interesting for me personally, it's important to know when you can retaliate without the risk of jail time.

Last edited:
You'd make short work of 99% of people though because most people don't know anything about fighting. If a person's good enough to deter most untrained & unarmed men then that's great, whether it's an average sized girl or a small guy or whoever. I think a sport like boxing is very good for self defense for those who might not have a lot of time to invest in a martial art generally, because they'll get sparring and get used to being punched in a potentially shorter space of time than with other martial arts, which will at least build fortitude and grit.

In a knife attack your best form of self defence is to take up sprinting. Knife defences don't work.
The way I see it you only have two options. Run away or attack as violently as possible in an attempt to KO the person. You can't disarm shit and messing around with that will only get you cut up.

theres plenty of chicks that can shoot guns well, but man, this video right here, some of this stuff is down right scary/dangerous.....I would blame the men teaching them in most of the clips here. Its like why would you allow her to shoot with such bad form, or such a large caliber gun, etc. I taught my wife how to use my pistol grip pump, she can handle it with bird shot, but now way with buck or slugs.

So irresponsible. Too many idiots with guns.

Back