Please pick my equipment..new to standup

Aspen

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just need help picking my equipment. I need some sparring gloves for MMA class, and I assume wrist wraps if you advise. I have zero stand up training, and about 8 months of nogi submission training under my belt. Going to start a MMA class next week.

Please list a good pair of gloves that are suitable for training. max $30-35
Wrist wraps?

Any other equip I should get?

Thanks everyone.

EDIT: I apologize for not placing this thread in the proper section. I just now noticed the gear and equipment room.

Well if you raised your max for gloves I would say the fairtex bg1's are the best thing you could get. 14oz, great for training, padwork, bag work, AND sparring. A quality pair of gloves will last you much longer and actually make training more enjoyable.

Just get whatever wristwraps they sell at your gym, unless you want to spend a bit more and get some quickwrap gelwraps. Just be careful because some of them are bulky around the knuckles and will hurt your hands when you wear them with gloves.

You shouldn't try to nab a bargain on gloves, buy some really good (probably expensive) ones. They're worth it. Also wraps are important, otherwise you can hurt your wrist pretty easily.

It really depends on the equipment. The G&E members who have been there for a long time including myself swear by Neil's stuff. Solidly built.

It really depends on the equipment. The G&E members who have been there for a long time including myself swear by Neil's stuff. Solidly built.

Is Neil the guy who owns that KO gear site?

It's frowned upon to have just one pair of gloves for bag/pad work & sparring. Hitting bag/pads condenses the foam, making it harder and not nice for your sparring partner's face. BUT if you must use the same pair than make sure they have more padding over the knuckle than the gloves they normally use in pro fights.

I'm recommending these because you said MMA so that means you need open fingers & they're in your price range:

Top Contender Molded Foam Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

There are lots of little bones in your hand that can break easily after lots of pounding so anchor them to the big bones in your wrist using handwraps. I'm recommending these because standard boxing handwraps won't fit under an MMA glove:

MMA Handwraps from Combatsports.com

If you don't like the color go to Title Boxing or Ringside's websites and check out some Junior sized Mexican Handwraps.

Combat sports IMF tech for MMA sparring?

Fully closed pair for bag work?

Yeah my price was low, let's raise it on up.

just buy some 16 oz. cleto reyes THE BEST boxing gloves ever made

also for your handwraps buy some mexican-style handwarps, that gel wrap bullshit doesn't work as well as a good old fashion handwrap, otherwise, everyone else would use them

It's frowned upon to have just one pair of gloves for bag/pad work & sparring. Hitting bag/pads condenses the foam, making it harder and not nice for your sparring partner's face. BUT if you must use the same pair than make sure they have more padding over the knuckle than the gloves they normally use in pro fights.

I'm recommending these because you said MMA so that means you need open fingers & they're in your price range:

Top Contender Molded Foam Training Gloves from Combatsports.com

There are lots of little bones in your hand that can break easily after lots of pounding so anchor them to the big bones in your wrist using handwraps. I'm recommending these because standard boxing handwraps won't fit under an MMA glove:

MMA Handwraps from Combatsports.com

If you don't like the color go to Title Boxing or Ringside's websites and check out some Junior sized Mexican Handwraps.

Forget about your partner's face, it makes it easier to hurt your hand on their head!

Check out the FAQ in the Gear & Equipment Forum. Its good for what youre asking

I am just confused really..

I am going to buy those IMF sparring gloves, and use those strictly for sparring.

Do I always need to wrap hands when sparring? Some guy at my club said he doesn't, but he is strange about some things.

Do I get those shin guards as well?

A regular boxing glove for kickboxing class/just working on the bag?

I am placing my order by tomorrow. I have 2 hand wraps in my cart so far and the IMG gloves. Shin wraps and guards?

I will do the kickboxing class some mornings for conditioning and the bag work. Never worked on a bag, and never had any formal training in striking, so this should be interesting.

Always wrap your hands.

You'll need decent shinguards, if you're new to standup as you stated. Before your shins get conditioned through training, they're gonna feel like hell if you don't protect them in the beginning.

For heavy bag work, use a good pair of boxing, not MMA style, bag or training gloves. 12-16oz gloves are recommended. You can get an all-around training glove you can use for pads/mitts/heavy bag, and light sparring. For more serious sparring though, get a dedicated 16oz sparring glove.

For MMA sparring, if you need to use MMA gloves, make sure you use the more padded "Shooto" style gloves.

Thanks Cross.

Let me go add more stuff to my cart, this bill is going to be big.

No prob, man. Training ain't cheap, something I had to learn too when I started, unfortunately.

For cheaper but still good quality training gear, check out KOFightGear as Clamp mentioned in the first reply, and CagesideMMA.com for Shooto-style gloves. SSF Gear and Truth also come highly recommended on the G & E boards for those on a budget.

for mma gloves the truth gloves are a good bet

for a boxing glove, I'd say get fairtex if you can afford it.

a pair of shin guards are also needed.

mexican handwraps are my choise for handwraps.

to give you an idea here's a shortlist of my MMA training gear

boxing glove: 14 oz twins boxing gloves
mma glove: combat sports mma training glove

shin pads: nationman shin pads

handwraps: everlast mexican handwraps

hope this helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back