Please list any interesting Boxing facts, trivia, legends, stories, etc.

Floyd Patterson was knocked down more than any other modern Heavyweight
champion, 20 times!

"yesterday I was Lying, today I am telling the truth"
Bob Arum's reply to a reporters question.

Longest uninterrupted title reigns

Division Fighter Reign

Heavyweight: Joe Louis 11 years, 7 months

Cruiserweight: Anaclet Wamba 4 years, 10 months

Light Heavyweight: Archie Moore 9 years, 2 months

Super Middleweight: Chong Pal Park 3 years, 6 months

Middleweight: Carlos Monzon 6 years, 9 months

Junior Middleweight: Gianfranco Rosi 5 years, 2 months

Welterweight: Felix Trinidad 8 years, 5 months

Junior Welterweight: Julio Cesar Chavez 4 years, 8 months

Lightweight: Benny Leonard 7 years, 8 months

Junior Lightweight: Flash Elorde 7 years, 3 months

Featherweight: Johnny Kilbane 11 years, 4 months

Jr. Featherweight: Wilfredo Gomez 5 years, 10 months

Bantamweight: Orlando Canizales 6 years, 5 months

Junior Bantamweight: Khaosai Galaxy 7 years, 1 months

Flyweight: Jimmy Wilde 7 years, 4 months

Junior Flyweight: Myung Woo Yuh 6 years. 2 months

Strawweight: Ricardo Lopez 9 years, 8 months

Ever wonder where the phrase "Is it the real McCoy" came from??? Back in
the 1890's Charles "Kid" McCoy was a master at tricking his opponents
into believing he was ill or in difficulty. Consequently people were
never sure wether he was realy hurt, ill or faking. Thus the saying
"Is it the real McCoy" was born

In Newark, New Jersey, in 1942, Timmy Larkin entered the ring intensely focused on his bout with Tommy Cross ... so much so that Larkin took off his robe and found himself standing buck naked in the ring.

lol, that's great. hahahhahaha

* Asleep at the Switch – Or On the Stool: On December 4, 1912, middleweight title claimant Billy Papke defended the title he nebulously claimed after Stanley Ketchel’s death against local favorite George Bernard at the Cirque de Paris in Paris, France. The first six rounds of the scheduled 20 round contest proceeded evenly and uneventfully but when Bernard returned to the corner he promptly fell asleep. His cornermen couldn’t revive him in time to begin the seventh round and Papke was declared the TKO winner via corner retirement.

Bernard claimed afterward that he was drugged, and that explanation rings true given the rough-and-tumble times and lax oversight. One would think a world title challenger would be hyped to the max at the prospect of becoming a champion – and earning the perks that came with that status. Therefore, it would be unthinkable that someone fresh off six rounds of combat would suddenly drift off to dreamland. But drift off he did and to this day it remains the most unique ending to a world title contest.

Lewis vs. McCall 2:

In a bizarre fight, McCall refused to fight in the fourth and fifth rounds, beginning to cry and eventually forcing the referee to stop the fight and award Lewis the victory. The referee for the fight, Mills Lane, stated in an interview after the match, "In the third round, he got in close, and then seemed frustrated, and then he just backed off and put his arms down. . . . I thought he was playing possum but then I saw his lips started to quiver and I thought, 'My God, is he losing it? I wanted to fix the fight for him, but he started crying, so I had to stop the fight'.

By David Lahr: In a case of playing possum gone bad, former contestant on reality TV show “The Contender,” Anthony Bonsante (31-10-3, 18 KOs) was dropped and taken out in the 1st round by undefeated prospected Adonis Stevenson (12-0, 9 KOs) on Friday night at the Gare Windsor Salle des Pas Perdus, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Stevenson, 30 landed a glancing left hand in the opening seconds of the bout, knocking Bonsante flat on the canvas. However, instead of immediately getting up, given the less than powerful shot that he was hit with, Bonsante stayed down, keeping his eyes closed tight until the count of six, at which point he jumped up just as referee Gerry Bolen was stopped that fight at 0:46 of the 1st round.

Bonsante, 37, immediately began arguing with the referee, saying that he had gotten up in time and that he had in fact beaten the count. The referee, however, pointed out that his eyes were closed, and that he had looked hurt, which is obviously why the referee stopped the fight. Bonsante then angrily walked away after saying a few more choice words to the referee. Clearly, Bonsante wasn’t happy with the stoppage, feeling that he had made it up before the 10 count.

However, from the referee’s perspective, Bonsante looked completely unconscious from the punch, and had his eyes closed until he reached the count of six. In many cases, a referee would immediately stop a fight like this with a fighter with their eyes closed. It seemed more than a little strange that Bonsante would be daring enough to risk losing the fight by playing knocked out like this, because he had to know from seeing other fights, that he had a good chance of losing if he did this.

Here is a link to he fight, Skip to the 2.45 mark.

Trebol Movies - Bonsante vs Stevenson KTFO or Possum? videos

Ever wonder where the phrase "Is it the real McCoy" came from??? Back in
the 1890's Charles "Kid" McCoy was a master at tricking his opponents
into believing he was ill or in difficulty. Consequently people were
never sure wether he was realy hurt, ill or faking. Thus the saying
"Is it the real McCoy" was born

That's one story, there are a couple other that I know of:

One was that McCoy, with his slight build caused people who didnt know the boxer well to questions if he was "the real McCoy".

Another is that McCoy had many imitators, and would often have to announce himself as "the real McCoy".

Could be a combination of all of them I guess.

This thread is great.
I hope to see more stuff from Kid Mccoy posted in here.

Stupid boxing anecdote:
They call me 2 shoes,cus i always wear 2 shoes.-unknown boxer

This thread is great.
I hope to see more stuff from Kid Mccoy posted in here.

Stupid boxing anecdote:
They call me 2 shoes,cus i always wear 2 shoes.-unknown boxer

Kid McCoy was also allegedly the first boxer to tell his opponent that his shoe was untied, and then hitting them when they looked down.

Kid McCoy was also allegedly the first boxer to tell his opponent that his shoe was untied, and then hitting them when they looked down.

I know,i ve also heard of him saying he was sick,his hand was broken,then guy was a master manipulator for the age.

I know,i ve also heard of him saying he was sick,his hand was broken,then guy was a master manipulator for the age.

Oh for sure. It's so hard to seperate the fact from the fiction, but that's what makes him such a legend.

Probably a bit of both.
He was just standing around (wearing a Hawiian shirt).
I walked up to him, shook his head, thanked him for alot of great fights and then asked "when are you going after the belt again" and he flipped out on me.
Started marching me down (I'm only 5'8).
I put my hands up saying "no, no, no.... you misunderstood me" and he said,
"put your fuckin hands down, bitch". So I complied.
He said, "I'm tired of fuckers telling me what I need to do" (paraphrased).
"I don't have to prove myself to no one".
He was balling his right fight up and jabbing me in my chest with the index finger on his other hand.

Eventually a security guard ran out and pushed him back.

LOL! That is an awesome story.

Oh for sure. It's so hard to seperate the fact from the fiction, but that's what makes him such a legend.

Id try telling my opponent his shoe is untied,but it doesnt work in mma when most ppl dont wear shoes,maybe ill try it anyway hah.
Maybe i can say ur ankle wraps are untied hmmmm.......

Greb had also sparred a few rds with Dempsey in 1920.
Sparring a few rds in camp ain't the same as fighting a Championship fight in front of 90 thousand people though.
Think I read a quote of Greb's where he said in a real fight, Dempsey would've killed him after a couple of rounds.

Jonny Tapia has been clinically dead on four separate occasions.

LOL! That is an awesome story.

:icon_lol:

I was scared to death.
Such a large group was forming around us too.
When he told me to put my hands down all I said was
"sorry, sir" and immediately put them down.

Think I read a quote of Greb's where he said in a real fight, Dempsey would've killed him after a couple of rounds.

This is true.
I have a guide to boxing history that was published in the 60's and it has a similar caption from Greb.

:icon_lol:

I was scared to death.
Such a large group was forming around us too.
When he told me to put my hands down all I said was
"sorry, sir" and immediately put them down.

If he was a featherweight u would ve swung on him tho......

Id try telling my opponent his shoe is untied,but it doesnt work in mma when most ppl dont wear shoes,maybe ill try it anyway hah.
Maybe i can say ur ankle wraps are untied hmmmm.......

I tried to tell a guy he dropped his pocket once. He just looked confused for a second.

Back