1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Please list any interesting Boxing facts, trivia, legends, stories, etc.

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Astro Man, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Astro Man

Astro Man Kid Blackie

I consider myself a late blooming boxing enthusiast, particularly when it comes to history, and I'm sure myself and others could benefit from the collective knowledge gained here.

example of the kind of thing I'm looking for:

- Jack Dempsey was reportedly given the beating of his life against Tommy Loughran in a sparring session 12 days before the fight with Tunney.

Tommy Loughran May Forget A Fight, But Not His Workout - 04.23.79 - SI Vault

2. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

Cool avatar.
    And Harry Greb sparred Dempsey too before the Tunney defense, and Dempsey took the worst of it.
    The Dempsey of '26 was no longer the Dempsey of 1919.

Greb, who had fought Tunney 5 times, then correctly predicted to the press that Tunney would defeat the Champ Dempsey. An unpopular prediction as many thought of Dempsey as the man-killer, and that Tunney in comparison was too frail an not good enough to ever whup the rough-hewn Dempsey.

EDIT:
    Greb had also sparred a few rds with Dempsey in 1920.
    Sparring a few rds in camp ain't the same as fighting a Championship fight in front of 90 thousand people though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  3. ThirdPartyView

ThirdPartyView Keeping Jack Dempsey from ducking

Pretty much the same story was given about Harry Greb doing the same thing to Jack Dempsey.

4. Astro Man

Astro Man Kid Blackie

5. MMAmouse

MMAmouse Brown Belt

An interesting story posted on these very boards many years ago (probably bullshit, but a fun read nonetheless):

6. Fisticuffa

Fisticuffa Purple Belt

When Roberto Duran was training to fight Carlos Palomino at Madison Square Garden, he worked out at Howard Albert's gym, an old factory loft in the Garment Center, just a few blocks from the new Garden.

It was summertime, and sweltering, and every Latino worker in the garment area-- and their families-- would go to watch their hero train at lunchtime.

The gym was like a steam room, and jammed cheek-to-jowl with the adoring. . They pressed so close; they barely left Duran enough room to do his floor exercises. And then he went into the ring to shadow box.

Spanning what looked like a crowded subway, you could see chests swell and faces full of pride. Plump mothers holding babies in their arms stood right at the
    ring apron, while their little children looked up saucer-eyed at this god.

In the midst of all of this, somebody in the back--unbelievably! -- kept yelling at Duran in Spanish: "PIPINO CUEVAS WILL KILL YOU!

Duran paid him no mind and continued to shadow box. But the heckler was relentless: "PIPINO CUEVAS WILL KILL YOU! "PIPINO CUEVAS WILL KILL YOU!

Finally, Duran fixed a glare at him, stretched as far over the ropes as he could--just above the glowing faces of mothers and infants--and yanked down his trunks, grabbed his nuts, and roared in Spanish: "PIPINO CUEVAS CAN SUCK MY COCK!

The Side of Fighters You

7. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

One of the worst beatings ever was the savage beating Greb gave to Gene Tunney in their 1st go around.

Tunney somehow lasted the 15 rd distance, but he said the bloodiness of this fight was beyond belief.

You'd wonder why did the 6' Tunney have such a tough time with the much smaller Greb.

[​IMG]

8. enswell****

enswell**** Blue Belt

Mike Tyson had gonorrhea from some hoor when he won the Title from Trevor Berbick in 1986.

9. ThirdPartyView

That's because Greb was both one of the dirtiest fighters ever as well as a volume punching machine that swarmed the shit out of his opponents with lots of punches (which could hurt if he sat on them, which he rarely did; he mainly did that against LHW and HW opponents as they were slower than him so he could more effectively set up KO shots against them). Also, guys tried to headhunt him (as he tended to bull in) but his head rolling meant that they got countered on the inside a lot (I think Benny Leonard told Tunney to attack the body in the later fights because his head was a false target).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  10. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

I almost got my ass kicked by Oliver McCall after the Tyson-Golota fight in 2000, right outside of the Palace in Auburn Hills.

11. ThirdPartyView

What you do? Or was it just a coke binge on his end?

12. MC Paul Barman

MC Paul Barman Gold Belt Platinum Member

Probably a bit of both.
    He was just standing around (wearing a Hawiian shirt).
    I walked up to him, shook his head, thanked him for alot of great fights and then asked "when are you going after the belt again" and he flipped out on me.
    Started marching me down (I'm only 5'8).
    I put my hands up saying "no, no, no.... you misunderstood me" and he said,
    "put your fuckin hands down, bitch". So I complied.
    He said, "I'm tired of fuckers telling me what I need to do" (paraphrased).
    "I don't have to prove myself to no one".
    He was balling his right fight up and jabbing me in my chest with the index finger on his other hand.

Eventually a security guard ran out and pushed him back.

13. Trance

Trance Blue Belt

^ Damn.

I would've been pretty scared myself. Lol.

14. ThirdPartyView

Sounds like he was tweaked as hell, to be honest.

15. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

One of the things I always thought was cool was when Tito fought Oscar. The whole of puerto Rico shut down that day to watch the fight. It was like a holiday to them. The Governor gave everyone PPV and even told the prisons that if the Warden said that the inmates were good for a month he would allow the prisons to watch the fight as well.

That is some respect from your country right there.

16. kingobould***

kingobould*** Purple Belt

SOmething I just found.

Boxing was introduced as an Olympic sport at the 23rd Olympiad in 688 B.C., with the first Olympic winner being Onomastos Smyrnaios.

According to the historian, Dion, the ancients did not value beatings or knockouts in boxing. Rather, the aim was to remain un-injured ("atravmatistos") until the opponent became exhausted and signalled defeat by raising two fingers ("apagorefsi"). One great fighter avoided blows for two days before his opponent gave up.

In Ancient Greek culture, the god, Apollo, was regarded as the inventor and guardian of the sport of boxing.

17. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Here one that pretty cool.

Philly Gym Wars a Myth? - Boxing

18. Director101

Director101 Brown Belt

In our culture, men compete in what we call "Tilluqattau" which is trading punches. Two men would agree to compete while all single women looked with anticipation. One of them would call which side of the stick would be facing up when it has landed and if he got it right, he got the right to throw the first punch.

So the man who lost would turn his head slightly and wait for the punch. POW...he falls down and by this point, the crowd had all become eeriely quiet wondering the poor soul can get back up, they usually do. After about a minute or less of coming back to his senses, it's his turn. Now the other takes a deep breath and does the same thing, he turns his head and waits...BAM, he falls down and this goes on until one of them can't get back up.

The victor would be free to have sex with any or all the single girls who were watch that night and he would have their fathers' blessing. The most hits a person took and ending up winning is 8 but most end after 3-5 punches.

19. ThirdPartyView

Cool story, but I doubt the New England guy and Shannon wouldn't have recognized Greb in the 1920s as he was one of the bigger attractions of the time.

20. Lazy Man

Lazy Man Heavyweight Champion of the World

Which culture is this? Sounds pretty crazy