Please helpful comments on weight-lifting training method videos inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

gungfudisciple

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I do not believe in extreme strength training for martial arts, but the strength some have achieved is very impressive. I have obtained a link for some free training videos and would like to hear your opinions before I try anything similar. The videos are uploaded to the putfile by a man I only know as dieselweasel, who is the most hardcore strength trainer I have seen.

http://www.putfile.com/dieselweasel

He's....strong? Seriously, what do you want to know?

Strength training is a great asset for martial arts.

Dash_Riprock said:
Oh boy...here we go.

What do you mean? Is this been discussed already? Would it be best to delete the post in that case? Im sorry if I am posting wrong but I dont see what is wrong. Is this guy not very good? He seems like a 150 pound guy lifting almost 500 pounds, that has to be impressive?

To clarify, I am not asking about regular weight lifting, like bench press and regular gym/dumbells kind of stuff. Im asking about this extreme stuff, carrying metal pipes, throwing metal balls, lifting big objects or throwing them.

The link you just posted isn't unorthodox. He's doing one-armed rows, just with kettleballs. And that wasn't a strength training exercise.

Plus, his form is attrocious, he doesn't lock out his deadlifts etc.

Don't do ANYTHING the way Max AKA DieselWeasel does, except believe in yourself. Just know your limits better.

Reidar said:
The link you just posted isn't unorthodox. He's doing one-armed rows, just with kettleballs. And that wasn't a strength training exercise.

Im sorry, but I have never seen this before. He was not rowing, he was tossing the 62 pound steel ball in the air with one hand and catching it with the other by a handle. Is that not for strength? I knew I had a lot to learn but I seem to be farther behind than I thought.

gungfudisciple said:
Im sorry, but I have never seen this before. He was not rowing, he was tossing the 62 pound steel ball in the air with one hand and catching it with the other by a handle. Is that not for strength? I knew I had a lot to learn but I seem to be farther behind than I thought.

That movement is defined as a row.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/onelegdbrow1.jpg

The fact that he's letting go and catching it doesn't change that, nor does using a kettleball.

Strength is defined as the maximum effort your muscles can put out in one go. As such, strength training consists of big heavy compound exercises for 3-5 reps. In other words, low ones. This trains the fast-twitch Type II muscle fibers which powerlifting benefits from.

That was endurance training, given the number of reps he was doing. Letting go at the top is a way to add some explosive movement in, but consequently the weight has to be light.

GFD, I don't like you much. I just want to get this out in the open. There is little doubt in my mind that you're trolling. Evidence: your commends on the he-man thread in P&M, starting your first post with "I do not believe in extreme strength training for martial arts" when you're in the strength and power forum, referencing diesel weasel who has been mocked by everyone and their mother in the strength world for his hideous form and shitty attitude.

Regardless, I will tell you the answers you seek:
- Start lifting heavy. Strength will ONLY aid a martial artist.
- do not lift like DW, you will kill yourself (or at least hurt yourself). His form is atrocious in just about all of his videos, and where it isn't his lifts aren't impressive.
- read the stickies.
- Learn to train your grip. The kettlebell toss and catch is more a grip exercise. Personally I prefer a swing and catch with a KB that has a thicker handle.
- Start lifting heavy, and knock off this "heavy weights will make you slow" horse shit
- quit trolling in my forum. If you are genuinely ignorant, i reccomend you make the effort to read a bit before making an ass out of yourself.

Thread closed. DW videos are not an example to lift by, they are an example of how to wreck your back when your attitude and ego exceed your capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back