Please critique my Spar

Good job. Maybe keep your right hand a little higher when you close distance to avoid getting caught with wild shots.
I'm not a big fan of deconstructing fighters, because I know some fighters adjust there style pending on there opponent. Seems your partner wasn't as skilled or powerful hence less emphasis on defense.

Great movement in general.You have any fights online?

Good job. Maybe keep your right hand a little higher when you close distance to avoid getting caught with wild shots.
I'm not a big fan of deconstructing fighters, because I know some fighters adjust there style pending on there opponent. Seems your partner wasn't as skilled or powerful hence less emphasis on defense.

Great movement in general.You have any fights online?

Thank you for your comment. No, I don't have any fights as I've only been boxing for 1 year now. I would disagree about my opponent in this case being less-skilled. He actually is a former professional and fought Errol Spence Jr years ago. Again, thanks for the comment and I agree with the right-hand adjustment.

Thank you for your comment. No, I don't have any fights as I've only been boxing for 1 year now. I would disagree about my opponent in this case being less-skilled. He actually is a former professional and fought Errol Spence Jr years ago. Again, thanks for the comment and I agree with the right-hand adjustment.

Thanks for the insight. I guess it was just relaxed controlled sparring. You were more than holding your own against him.

Why are you sparring outside of a ring?

You do realise that when you get backed up or your opponent is backed up, i changes nearly every single aspect of boxing?

Why are you sparring outside of a ring?

You do realise that when you get backed up or your opponent is backed up, i changes nearly every single aspect of boxing?
This is the best we have in my area for boxing. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

You have good timing for your jab but you dont really have any defense when you throw it, try bringing your other hand to your cheek and bring your jabbing hand back to your face immediately after throwing it

you are fast at getting out after throwing the right hand but you are backing straight up with your hands down. hands up, angle off. make opponent turn if he wants to follow you.

You stsnd in front of him and your hands are down too much for a beginner. If he were more proactive, instead of reactive, you'd have some real trouble. Snap your punches more too.

I would try to emulate a boxer with a classic style (with your hands up). Marco Antoio Barrera, Alexis Arguello.

You're getting too cute keeping your lead hand low, one year is not long enough experience to play those games, its a bad habit. Also, when you start mixing it up your balance isn't good which means you're losing focus on footwork on the inside. Always maintain balance. Other than that good job, you looked relaxed out there which is super important.

You're getting too cute keeping your lead hand low, one year is not long enough experience to play those games, its a bad habit. Also, when you start mixing it up your balance isn't good which means you're losing focus on footwork on the inside. Always maintain balance. Other than that good job, you looked relaxed out there which is super important.

Good feedback, I will definitely work on this. My problem is that the gloves I use are so heavy that it burns holding my hands up in front of my face for extended periods of time.

Going to work on this tonight at class!

Thanks

As far as emulating fighters,...you look tall, so i would emulate fighters who used their range and distance well. Larry Holmes, Mikey Garcia, Terrence Crawford, Sugar Ray Leonard.

Watch Mikey Garcia against Zlaticanin,....that is a masterclass in how to box a shorter opponent. nothing fancy, just jab jab, 1-2, pivot.

You looked pretty good, you're in good shape and you're pretty coordinated. But you're clearly more athletic and more skilled than your opponent. At this stage (i'm assuming within or somewhere around your first year), it doesn't show much except that you can keep your composure against someone who isn't on your level. Post a video with someone you're even with, or someone you struggle with. That will highlight your flaws, and people will be better able to help you.

Something you can try: next time you're sparring him, shoot out your first jab expecting him to fire off a jab in return. Maybe he does maybe he doesn't. But when he does (and he will eventually) have your rear hand ready to catch it and as soon as your feel it touch the palm of your glove, fire another jab right back. Doing that will stop him from jumping in like he was doing. A lot of the time you would give up ground when he decided to mount an offense, and like Treelo mentioned earlier you're only having success with that because your movement isn't restricted. In a ring, you'd have wound up with your back on the ropes, but still wanting to keep moving backward (think Danny Jacobs vs. Dmitry Pirog). You did a good job of tying him up at times, but that won't check his aggression. It will only stall it.

If you can, it would probably be a good idea to set up *some kind* of ring, even if it's just a piece of rope tied around 4 posts. If nothing else, put some masking tape in a square or circle on the ground, and spar while always keeping your front foot inside or on the edge the shape. Make it just big enough that you're both just out of reach when the front of your foot is on the line. You can step out early on if it doesn't feel comfortable, but at least you'll know it wasn't the right thing and you'll have some kind of feedback.

You looked pretty good, you're in good shape and you're pretty coordinated. But you're clearly more athletic and more skilled than your opponent. At this stage (i'm assuming within or somewhere around your first year), it doesn't show much except that you can keep your composure against someone who isn't on your level. Post a video with someone you're even with, or someone you struggle with. That will highlight your flaws, and people will be better able to help you.

I'm very appreciative of your comment, but I've got to admit my sparring partner in this video is much better than me. He's a former pro and fought Errol Spence Jr years ago. Definitely going to apply the tips you gave, alot of value there!

Back