Please critique my Spar

I'm very appreciative of your comment, but I've got to admit my sparring partner in this video is much better than me. He's a former pro and fought Errol Spence Jr years ago. Definitely going to apply the tips you gave, alot of value there!

No kidding? What's his name? Is he just very out of practice? His footwork was... well, he kept lifting his back foot completely off the ground to reach you. Not a good thing, you could've knocked his ass out of the air a few times, especially considering he wasn't being responsible with his guard as he did it either (hands down, head forward walking straight at you). He also squared up a lot. And for being the shorter, stalkier guy I can't figure out why he kept straightening his legs in the clinch instead of fighting you for the under position.

No kidding? What's his name? Is he just very out of practice? His footwork was... well, he kept lifting his back foot completely off the ground to reach you. Not a good thing, you could've knocked his ass out of the air a few times, especially considering he wasn't being responsible with his guard as he did it either (hands down, head forward walking straight at you). He also squared up a lot. And for being the shorter, stalkier guy I can't figure out why he kept straightening his legs in the clinch instead of fighting you for the under position.

There're a lot of shitty pro's out there man, just cans setup to lose badly. I'm guessing Errol fought him in his first 4-5 fights and quickly disposed of him.

There're a lot of shitty pro's out there man, just cans setup to lose badly. I'm guessing Errol fought him in his first 4-5 fights and quickly disposed of him.

I was going to give the guy a chance to respond before I called the other fella a cab driver lol.

Lol. He's got Uber written all over him.

Man, that's even worse than being a cab driver. At least cabbies have to get into the union. To be an Uber driver all you need is your moms phone and car.

Richard Andrews, he's a great fighter. Just caught him after he took a break from boxing is all.

Good physical ability and some nice skills, but what are you trying to achieve by posting with the left arm out straight?
Once you went with a light right hand that left you with Both arms out and the other time he hand trapped you and threw a shot that you didn't attempt to counter, despite presumably setting him up?

I'm not being harsh. I just want to know what success you get out of it, that wasn't apparent in this short clip.

Everybody already covered all my comments about dropping that hand, not angling out, and counter jabs

Props for posting it up publicly looking for opinions and critiques!!

Good physical ability and some nice skills, but what are you trying to achieve by posting with the left arm out straight?
Once you went with a light right hand that left you with Both arms out and the other time he hand trapped you and threw a shot that you didn't attempt to counter, despite presumably setting him up?

I'm not being harsh. I just want to know what success you get out of it, that wasn't apparent in this short clip.

No you aren't being harsh, those are valid points. To be completely honest I watched this random video on YouTube about having your lead arm out because it's similar to what Juan Manuel Marquez does. Since then I've just had my arm out just to follow that tutorial I watched. I plan on no longer doing this, standing this way with a heavy 16oz glove on made my arm highly fatigued over the time I was sparring.

Everybody already covered all my comments about dropping that hand, not angling out, and counter jabs

Gotcha going to work on those.

Absolutely, got to get better one way or another. Thank you for commenting.

Absolutely, got to get better one way or another

Repetition until it's habit.

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"

~ Bruce Lee

netflix-star-ratings-thumbs-up-1-480x320.jpg

Also, I've got a question. When you say angling out, how could I not do that without walking into an opponents hook? Wouldn't that setup that shot perfectly?

Also, I've got a question. When you say angling out, how could I not do that without walking into an opponents hook? Wouldn't that setup that shot perfectly?

I think what he means is to not step back in a straight line. I would give the same advice, that when you take a step back, do it at an angle. Also, keep switching up which way you back out to keep your opponent guessing. If you keep stepping out at a 45 degree angle to the right, you could get caught by a seasoned boxer who anticipates it, and steps forward quickly with the lead hook.

Make sure that you bring that back hand back to your chin even when you're stepping back to ensure that you won't get caught with that hook.

Angles in general. Angle to get inside, angles for your slip, .......

Good stuff, a stiffer jab and a pivot hook with some higher defense or more head movement and you can come a long way no doubt!

This is the best we have in my area for boxing. I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

He makes a good point though especially for a boxer like you who seems to rely on keeping a distance.

In a ring you'll have to learn how to survive when cornered on the ropes.

Also are you drilling the basics because you seem to do what a lot of newer boxers do and try to run before you can walk, so many newbies (excuse the term) just don't want to fk with learning the basics, its natural, we were all the same when we were young but do you learn them?

i.e practicing to block with a high guard, parrying, learning to punch from the classic guard with only one hand leaving your guard at a time?

You don't have to fight that way mind, but you should drill it for when you need it.

PS- what height / weight are you?

He makes a good point though especially for a boxer like you who seems to rely on keeping a distance.

In a ring you'll have to learn how to survive when cornered on the ropes.

Also are you drilling the basics because you seem to do what a lot of newer boxers do and try to run before you can walk, so many newbies (excuse the term) just don't want to fk with learning the basics, its natural, we were all the same when we were young but do you learn them?

i.e practicing to block with a high guard, parrying, learning to punch from the classic guard with only one hand leaving your guard at a time?

You don't have to fight that way mind, but you should drill it for when you need it.

PS- what height / weight are you?

How exactly am I trying to run before I walk? Not saying that to be confrontational, I'm just curious so I can fix my flaws.

I agree, those are some skills I need but my problem is the good guys punch so hard at my gym that I can only do parrys and stuff against the lesser skilled fighters. I think that's part of the reason I fight from a distance actually. Eh...

I'm 6'0 and weigh 175.

How exactly am I trying to run before I walk? Not saying that to be confrontational, I'm just curious so I can fix my flaws.

I agree, those are some skills I need but my problem is the good guys punch so hard at my gym that I can only do parrys and stuff against the lesser skilled fighters. I think that's part of the reason I fight from a distance actually. Eh...

I'm 6'0 and weigh 175.

I didn't see much hard punching going on in your videos in fact I was going to comment on the lack of it but I'll take your word for it.

If you were taught and drilled them properly, parry's are to be done at distance, i.e jab range so power doesn't really come into it.

A proper guard is something you need to practice outside of full sparring as it takes being drilled to make sure you don't drop your hands etc under pressure.

As you say you don't do it for certain reasons yet you admit you need to learn it ...... hence the walk before you can run comment, you seem to be agreeing with it so not sure why your questioning why I said it lol?

Also you have the right idea, practice it against the weaker guys first then take it forward with tougher opponents.

Anyway, 6ft at LHW or SMW is a good height and weight to be, when I was younger I was 5'11 and the same weight as you, now I'm a small CW and was when I had my fights.

There's lots of examples of fighters your size, you are taking the right approach to fight from distance imo, just tidy it up a bit and hit with more intent, that will all come with practice and experience.

Looking at your vids again he's catching you because your guard is non-existent.

Everytime he rushes forward he's landing in your face because your not blocking.

You should either guard or parry or not be there, being as easy to hit from a shorter opponent like the way you were will get you clipped in a match.

Your defense needs a lot more slicking up.

I was the same though I only ever used a full guard when I was pinned, other than that I had other methods of avoiding punches.

In my first two fights I was hit clean a total of about 4 times over two fights, 5 at the most but I swear it was only 4.

Back