Platform Deadlift?

Dead Left

White Belt
Reaction score
I decided to add some platform lifting into my assistance work, but I may have gone too far. I'm lifting from a six inch platform and adding another few inches by loading the bar with 25s rather than 45s. Now the bar is way the hell down there. My problem is that even though I am exaggerating my hip movement and delaying the knee extension I still feel like I am squatting half of the lift. Is this too low? Am I even helping my DL at this point? What's the ideal height to add to a platform lift? Should I just stand on a couple of plates instead?

Way to low. Start with a small deficit, like 2-3 inches. You should still be able to keep a neutral back position.

I've often seen a 4" deficit tossed around as about the max reasonable to pull from. Beyond that, you're just getting silly and putting yourself in a bad position that will have little carryover to your regular deadlift because it changes the movement so much.

I'm lifting from a six inch platform and adding another few inches by loading the bar with 25s rather than 45s.

When you start a pull from the floor the bar should be touching your shins or very close. Judging by the height of the box and the smaller plates, I don't see how you can get the bar over your feet. You are starting the pull with the weight in from of your toes. This is going to put your back in a very compromised position.

So, I'm retarded. I suspected as much. Thanks for the quick and very helpful replies.

4". Measure it out with your built-in ruler.

Back