Pinky injury Please Help!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Boxir, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Boxir

Boxir White Belt

Hit a double, placed right hand on mat. Pinky on right hand bends at a 45 degree angle to the right at the middle joint. Closed hand, pinky back in place, it can still stretch to the right though :( , i splinted it, and i'm icing it, not sure if medical attention is necessary.

On a lighter note: i tapped out after it occured, and my buddy said Alex! i look over, he holds up his hands, all his fingers are crooked, and he said "ice it".

Not sure how serious it is. Its swollen right now.

2. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Go to the hospital if you're not sure.

3. Boxir

Boxir White Belt

I have full use of it still, i can make a fist and wiggle and bend it in the right ways, just swollen and painful.

4. mr violent

mr violent Orange Belt

i've had something very similar to this happen to me, but with middle/ring fingers, and once with my index. ice at first, then tears. tape it up if you keep training, either by itself or buddy system.

AND

consider seeing a doctor if you're worried about it. mine stayed swollen for a few weeks, and it was pretty crappy. if you can do anything to avoid that, including going to see a doctor to have it checked out and made sure it's nothing overly serious, then i strongly suggest doing that. i know everyone says ''go see a doctor'', but honestly, we can't see what the problem is through the computer screen.

maybe ask your teammates, or coach? they might have seen it before and can giv eyou a better idea.

5. beeran1

beeran1 Purple Belt

I had something similar. Buddy tape it and take some time off if it's really bad. Mine healed fully after a couple of months, but it still looks crooked.

6. Gawd

Gawd Banned Banned

Splint and/or buddy tape if you have full movement. If you don't have a full range of movement, go see a physician.

7. RJ Green

RJ Green Black Belt

take some ibuprofen too. bout 800mg 2x daily.

+1 on ice and buddy split. be sure to keep it above chest level.

if you've got health insurance there's no reason not to visit a GP just to be sure.

but it's a pinkie, you don't really need those.

8. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

False. Pinky is the most important finger for gi grips.

It will be swollen a long time. I recommend seeing a good hand doctor to make sure your tendons and ligaments are still intact. If not a surgeon can reattach them.

9. higgo

higgo White Belt

Go to Doctor and arrange to have a scan done he will also be able to give you a pain killer to bring down the swelling. Then Rest, Ice, Compress & Elevate.