Pinklon Thomas/Mike Tyson...

Emporio Alnino

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Where do you have this fight ranked as far as Mike's top wins?

And if you don't mind tell me what you think Tyson's top 5 wins are.

Mike Tyson doesnt get very much respect around this forum, so you're barking up the wrong tree in my opinion.

In my opinion and in the opinion of many boxing fans Mike Tyson is one of the greatest HW boxers of all time. His career spiraled out of control though, mainly through his own actions. Depression and mental illness is a killer even of legends.

Mike has some nice wins on his record, which is a pretty remarkable record even for a man who may or may not have lost his mind.

With Mike becoming the Undisputed Heavy Weight Champion of the world by beating Berbick, Smith and Tucker all of whom were Champions at the time has to be looked at with some respect. Mike beat an aging Larry Holmes and an undefeated Michael Spinks who was a champion(correct me if Im wrong in a different weight class).

Mike went on to regain two of the belts (WBC and WBA) against Bruno and Seldon in 1996 as well.

I think James Tillis deserves an honorable mention on Mikes win record as well, although he never quite made it to the top of the HW division. To be honest, Im not familiar enough with Thomas and his record to give you my feelings on the subject, I know Mike defended the WBA and WBC titles against him so he had to have been good enough to contend for the title.

Pinklon Thomas was a very good fighter, with a lot of experience, good chin, a strong jab and was not afraid of Tyson. It was a great win, and a brutal KO.

My list is:

Berbick
Biggs
Holmes
Thomas
Tubbs

Tyson's best 5 wins for me were (in order):

1. Spinks
2. Tucker
3. Holmes
4. Berbick
5. Thomas

Flexwave is right in the sense that Tyson bashers are out in force.

This might have allot to do with his personality, his rap sheet, but mostly, I think it

1) Desiree Washington
2) Michael Spinks
3) Tyrell Biggs
4) Robin Givens
5) Larry Holmes

Good list, Tam. Not so sure about Biggs though, great amateurs don't necessarily make great pros, as proven with Tyrell.

For Mike Tyson, it was a huge fight and an even bigger win. Thats what the thread is about, no?

4) Robin Givens

Only number 4?

"Man, I'll never forget that punch. It was when I fought with Robin in Steve's apartment. She really offended me and I went BAM, and she flew backward, hittng every fucking wall in the apartment. That was the best punch I've ever thrown in my fucking life." - said a smiling with pride, Mike Tyson

For Mike Tyson, it was a huge fight and an even bigger win. Thats what the thread is about, no?

It was if you want to focus on getting revenge over Tyrell for a loss in the non paid ranks.

But come on, Biggs had 15 fights against nobodys when he was matched with a much improved killer in Tyson (31-0) at the time. Biggs had done nothing and did nothing his whole pro career, finishing with a record of 30-10.

Maybe at the time, but in hindsight that win wasn't that bigger deal, IMO.

I'd class Abdullaev inside Cotto's biggest wins as well, for the same reason.

Tyson and Biggs never fought as amateurs.

Just looked it up and you appear to be correct. He does hold a win over Lennox Lewis though in the Ams, maybe that's where I got my wires crossed.

But damn, I was sure about that too.

I was sure they did, am I wrong?

Yeah, Tyson fought the likes of Craig Payne, Henry Milligan, and Henry Tillman (x2) in the amateurs, but never Biggs. Biggs was a super-heavy in those ranks, while Tyson stuck to the heavyweight class for the most part (I believe it was after the loss to Payne in the '83 National Golden Gloves when he went down a weight class to 201).

Back