Physical Manifestation of Death in movies

iu

HELP US OUT

Came across this on Halloween some years ago and thought it was great

Came across this on Halloween some years ago and thought it was great

Sir, that is 1 hour 47 minutes. You got to give us more CLIFFS than that it was great.

Going super old school with a movie most probably don't know, but Fritz Lang's early silent German masterpiece Destiny, also known as Weary Death, is the GOAT in my book. Not only is he creepy, but as the title suggests he's sick of being the garbage man of the universe, he hates seeing people die and what it does to loved ones, but he has a job to do and he'll always do it. The plot is a woman loses her man and tries to plead with Death. He respects her pluck, so he offers her the following: He brings her into a room of candles where each candle represents a life. He points out three candles and says that if she can stop even one from extinguishing then he'll bring her man back. Either that or she has to go into the world and pick a life that she'd be willing to take in exchange for the return of her lover. It's a sweeping adventure story as well as an intimate drama, easily Lang's most underrated film and one of the all-time great silent masterworks.

14001_1_large.jpg

Destiny+1921+-+The+Lives+of+Men.jpg

The Frighteners

8b564d55788cd0cc153dfab474b269797aa79b37.gifv

Technically, though, that's not Death, it's the spirit of a dead serial killer in a Grim Reaper disguise. Fun movie all the same, and it's got one of the weirdest and creepiest characters in film history in the person of Milton Dammers.

421d2d234073045851cbe14abc6b2e02883d29e8.gifv

Reactions: HHJ
A weird one, but if you think about it Emilio Estevez as Billy the kid from the Young Guns movies. The aura of death completely surrounded him. He got almost all his friends killed in situations that could have been avoided, ruthlessly killed all his foes, and any many unfortunate soul that interacted with him and just gave offense.
View attachment 1061778
His blatant lust for death and disregard for his own life while being a charismatic character in the first movie is awesome.
I had that movie on repeat during the VHS era.

Last edited:
Christopher Walken as Gabriel (The Angel of Death) in The Prophecy is another great one.
He's also Death in Click, it's been ages since I watched it but I think it was heavily implied

The soldier from the twilight zone episode with the old lady afraid to open her apartment door to anyone. Always stuck with me.

morte-the-reaper.gif

Last Action Hero - Ian McKellen

Christopher Walken as Gabriel (The Angel of Death) in The Prophecy is another great one.

Haven’t seen it and from what I’ve read about it his character is a villain in the movie but Gabriel the Archangel isn’t the angel of death.

Back