Philippou is now top ten!!

Pitier of Fools

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
According to the Sherdog rankins, Costa is now a top ten middleweight.

Mark my words, this guy will be getting a title shot before long. He probably won't be able to get by Silva, but everyone else in the division needs to watch out.

lol.

I don't know if he will be getting a title shot any time soon, but I know there are many Anderson fans who will want him at the top of the list alongside Bisping and above Weidman. You can mark my words on them calling for that, real soon.

I think he's going to be knocked off the top 10 very quickly. Not a bad fighter at all, but I just don't think he's top 10 material right now.

Not impressed by him at all. And I usually try to talk up New York fighters.

Rankings don't matter

I think he's going to be knocked off the top 10 very quickly. Not a bad fighter at all, but I just don't think he's top 10 material right now.

I'm just curious: since you don't see him as top 10 material, what areas do you see him as being weak in? It seems to me that he's pretty well rounded with well above average striking.

Five wins in a row is impressive and one including Boetsch. Him vs. Lombard would be a fun fight.

Looked good the other night, but not overly impressive. He's dangerous in the pocket, but i'd like to see more of his bjj game and also develop more of a striking game from the outside (kicks etc)

Not impressed. He lost to Nick Catone, barely beat Jorge Rivera and the Boetsch win was tainted for a number of reasons...not hating, just being realistic here. The guy is solid, even dangerous, but he's top ten in name only at this point.

I'm just curious: since you don't see him as top 10 material, what areas do you see him as being weak in? It seems to me that he's pretty well rounded with well above average striking.

His boxing is above average for sure and his TDD looked very good against Fukuda and McGee. However, his boxing is not at the level where he is knocking people out with ease and I think someone using a gameplan involving lots of kicks will give him trouble. And while his TDD looked very good against non top 10 Fukuda and McGee, I think the top 10 grapplers will get him down and do damage.

I just have a hard time imagining him beating anyone in the top 10. Even in a rematch against Boetsch I would pick Boetsch. And again I'm not trying to say Phillippou is bad or anything like that, I just don't think he's top 10 right now.

I'd take Boetsch in a rematch. Costa has potential though.

Costa deserves it! after his debut loss to Nick Catone he worked his ass off to improve his mistakes and he's won 5 consecutive fights earning that top 10 ranking

Not impressed. He lost to Nick Catone, barely beat Jorge Rivera and the Boetsch win was tainted for a number of reasons...not hating, just being realistic here. The guy is solid, even dangerous, but he's top ten in name only at this point.

Catone was on a weeks notice and just so he could get into the UFC. He was moved from another fight on the same card as Rivera and still beat Rivera who was a solid MW for years.

Phillipou is FullofPoo. Don't believe the hype. He won based on illegal maneuvers.

He's not great, but he's definitely good. Top 10 yes. He's won me some money so he's on my fanlist.

Can't see him beating any of the guys he will now have to face.

meh Boetsch was overrated and he was beating costa. If they rematched Boetsch would win 30-27 rather easily

Back