• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

PFL Taking Over

I don't understand why mindlessly shitting on the UFC 24/7 is such a badge of honour to some on here.

The UFC has its faults, as anything does. Yet its still the no. 1 MMA org by a very, very, very long way.
This will squarely land me in the "UFC shill" category for some of the more spirited pure haters out there, but I get giggles when they spout off about UFC and how all these places are going to take over, while totally disregarding the fact that if not for UFC and the years of work they did with state regulators, this shit would still be illegal in many places.

They literally talk about how UFC is killing the sport while totally ignoring the ways UFC paved the way for these other, newer orgs.

Yeah, UFC needs to do better in a lot of places, but denying them being the reason the shit is what it is today is hate driven, head-in-the-sand denial.

Then you have the guy making WWE/WCW comparisons but getting the players totally backwards, lulz.

Just like EagleFC did last year

<{UberTS}>

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but a prominent Russian MMA promotion dies after Russia messes up massively?

My spidey senses are tingling: guess the gravy train from the higher ups ran dry.

It’s like this Brother Boz. When someone says they enjoy the fights they watch and have no problem with the UFC that’s kinda like they’re fucking opinion. I suppose you watching the exact same shit and coming on sherdog to cry about it makes you feel better than people who have no savior complex. In that regard I wont bust your bubble while you are out here getting these braindead zombies to see the light I’m looking at you like you have a dick on your forehead(in a room with several other dickheads like you

UFC shill. I’m imaging you giving Dana a blowjob.

Then you have the guy making WWE/WCW comparisons but getting the players totally backwards, lulz.
The closest MMA comparison you can make to WWE vs WCW was UFC vs Pride, even with Pride actually overtaking and being more popular than the UFC for a period like WCW was.
The other promotions today are more on the level of TNA in the mid 00's and even TNA had ratings in the low 1's on a consistent basis, no MMA promotion apart from UFC can even sniff the success WCW had in the mid to late 90's.

The closest MMA comparison you can make to WWE vs WCW was UFC vs Pride, even with Pride actually overtaking and being more popular than the UFC for a period like WCW was.
The other promotions today are more on the level of TNA in the mid 00's and even TNA had ratings in the low 1's on a consistent basis, no MMA promotion apart from UFC can even sniff the success WCW had in the mid to late 90's.
Agree pretty much fully, but earlier in the thread there was a PFL = WWE and UFC = WCW comparison that is just backwards.

WCW was, vaguely similar to PFL, the newer org, throwing money, control, and freedom at talents, pulling talent away from the more established WWF.

My guess is they aligned the players backwards in that comparison because reality would require acknowledging those same things that made WCW attractive to talents ultimately caused their downfall.

Though I haven’t rented a physical copy of a movie in over a decade, I decided to ride by my local Blockbuster and get the scoop. It is now a shitty overpriced sushi/hibachi place!

pride must have put blockbuster under after being bought by the ufc. Look into it.
<EdgyBrah>

well, the XFL is back up and running today since 2018, so what does that tell you?
here's hoping the PFL can carve out a Bellator-sized niche for itself, or do even better. they gotta start permitting elbows though, at least to the body.
“Back up and running”
If you mean drawing less crowds than high school football games then yup, they’re running full steam ahead.

UFC fan boy. Doesn’t see a bigger picture for mma, and what it could possibly become. Doesn’t see there is an opportunity for it to catch up with other sports and to grow even more. What the UFC is doing now, it will never change.

Yes let’s just listen to Dana White. Who basically only likes strikers hates wrestlers.

Dana doesn’t care for the sport. Only wants to appear to the casuals for entertainment and to make the biggest buck short term. Not willing to invest like the PFL is.

At least you admit you’re too lazy to care. I’ll give you respect to where it’s due. But if you don’t care continue to be a zombie. Your choice. The sport could be a lot better though. And the athletes too.
He likes strikers because fans like strikers you dummy.
And especially casuals, who would grow the sport as you stated, prefer strikers.

It’s not that Dana only does things he likes, he makes most of his decisions by setting up matches that will sell and make more more for the UFC.
Do you like to watch a wrestling match or a slugfest?… I know that you’ll be a hipster and say a technical mma fight while you drink you Blue Ribbon beer but most fans will say slugfest.

Last edited:
PFL/WSOF being around since 2018 and having promoted over 100 events while getting absolutely nowhere makes their prospect as a "industry disruptor" look far worse, not better. UFC isn't even plateauing in the meantime either, they're still growing at rapid pace (3x evaluation since the sale). Shit on Affliction all you want, but you can't deny Affliction: Banned was comparable to any tentpole UFC PPV of its time. What has PFL done during its 5+ year, 100+ event tenure that's remotely comparable?
industry disruptor
plateauing
tentpole

just stfu lol

Only an idiot can't see PFL>Affliction your claims of it going absolutely nowhere are a complete fallacy.

“Back up and running”
If you mean drawing less crowds than high school football games then yup, they’re running full steam ahead.
relative to the UFC, thats about PFL's audience. doesnt mean it cant grow though. they need to work on their pacing of cards. too much time in between fights.

In other words, one promotion spends money on actually promoting and the other doesn't. And you wonder why PFL's gate and ratings are abysmal. PFL's strategy of maximizing fighter pay while minimizing marketing cost, so you end up with a overpaid roster of UFC rejects with nobody paying to watch them is such a genius business move, if the goal is to see how fast you can go under.

industry disruptor
plateauing
tentpole

just stfu lol

Only an idiot can't see PFL>Affliction your claims of it going absolutely nowhere are a complete fallacy.

Affliction: Banned had more star power than PFL and Bellator's rosters combined. 2008 Fedor alone > entire PFL roster including Francis. Snort more hopium please.

UFC has been dying since November 12th, 1993.

PRIDE, IFL, Affliction, Strikeforce, WEC, Bellator, PFL bless.

This. If Pride couldn't keep them at bay, with a MUCH better roster at the time, it should show that it's not JUST about having the best fighters.

It's distribution. UFC beat all those guys out basically because they couldn't get enough people to watch. All it comes down to in the end.

Being better is only a part of it.

The first time I’ve ever heard “Megan Anderson” and “huge star” in the same sentence. Furthermore she’s retired. This fella is truly off his rocker isn’t he?
Perhaps he was referring to her amazonian stature?

Back