Media Petr Yan wrestling camp in Dagestan (updated 27-09-2020)

Wait is that Merab Somethingshvili there, too? That dude is also from the Caucasus and is relentless. Does not get talked about enough but he is going to go places, IMO.
think merab is georgian, and yeah he's looking good as a fighter for the future.

@shoorik1987 I watched the fights. Thanks again for linking them! My thoughts/analysis/commentary under the spoiler tag.

First Fight
  • Round 1: Tough first round for Yan. He was never really "in it" at any point. Eats a head kick immediately and then spends most of the fight getting wrestled and put on his back. That said, he did a good job of remaining composed, controlling his opponent's posture to keep him from landing GnP, and also fought off the submission attempt after Magomed took his back. I don't know if ACB operates under similar scoring criteria to the Unified Rules, but I would be comfortable scoring that as a 10-8 for Magomed.
  • Round 2: Despite all the adversity Petr faced off the bat, he actually came out stronger in this round. He landed a good flurry on the feet before Magomed took him down again. This time Yan was able to scramble and lock up a kimura grip. He even briefly had Magomed in a crucifix position of all things. Great trip get back to his feet, but he makes a mistake I think in trying to engage rather than creating space to try and work his striking, allowing Magomedov to take him down again after Petr briefly threatened a guillotine. However, Yan immediately reversed the position with a sweep and came surprisingly close to snatching up an armbar. Magomed defends that, so Yan briefly threatens what looks like a triangle choke only to turn it into a belly-down armbar. This is a really cool sequence that showcases Yan's game off his back, which I didn't realize he had. Even though he doesn't get the sub, it allows him to escape from the bottom (and presumably looks good to the judges). The rest of the round is largely uneventful, both guys (who are clearly fatigued from the grappling, understandably) taking turns pushing one another up against the cage and trading shots in the clinch. I would say Yan gets the better of the exchange with his knees and a really nice sweep he lands that dumps Magomedov on the mat. I would say 10-9 Yan overall.
  • Round 3: Yan comes out aggressive, backing Magomed up in the striking. Even after being knocked down (or slipping? it's hard to tell), he gets right back up and doesn't let his opponent off the hook. It pays off as Petr throws a spinning kick to Magomed's body, forcing him to drop his guard after which Petr immediately follows up by landing a flush left hand that knocks Mago down and rocks him badly. Yan even gives him some knees from the Thai clinch as he's getting back up and trying to recover before picking him up and slamming him up and delivering even more strikes in the clinch. Sprawls easily when Magomed shoots on him before achieving mount and attempting an armbar. Despite being compromised, it's still clear Magomed is better on the mats as he escapes and achieves a body triangle (Maia-style human backpack) after a series of scrambles. He lands some strikes while trying to set up the RNC with Yan defending admirably until the round ends. Tough one to score -- Yan getting a near-finish on the feet makes me think a 10-8 in his favor is warranted. Conversely, Magomed having the edge in the grappling department and controlling him on the ground for the entire second half of the round might be enough to reduce it to a 10-9.
  • Round 4: Some back-and-forth striking exchanges, maybe with the slightest of edges toward Yan. Magomed shoots and briefly controls Petr before things get back to the feet, only to secure a better TD later on that leads to him landing some GnP from Yan's guard for most of the round while looking to pass. Again, Petr does a decent job of preventing this while minimizing the damage he receives on the bottom. Yan attempts a triangle toward the end of the round, but I can't tell how close it was to being locked in when the horn sounded. 10-9 Magomedov.
  • Round 5: Magomed immediately starts the final round by pushing Yan to the fence and getting a brief takedown, only for Petr to pop back up and escape. Yan sprawls out of the next TD and lands a good punch combination finished off by a kick, followed by clinching with Magomed to work his knees yet again. His Muay Thai looks really sharp this fight. Magomed dives for another shot and once again Petr defends well, punishing him with strikes while he's on the ground and getting back up. However, he gets a little overconfident here and looks to clinch with Magomedov who pulls off a frankly beautiful head-and-arm throw. He had spent the entire fight up to this point attempting lower-body shots, realized Yan had his number and was going to continue to spraw-and-brawl him, and gave him a different look that he hadn't yet seen which also exploited Petr's willingness to engage in the clinch. From here it's a bunch of back-and-forth scrambles on the ground, each guy looking like they have it in the bag until they get swept only to sweep the other in turn. Yan attempts multiple submissions off his back, but Magomedov manages to defend until they stand up and strike to the end of the round. Another tough one to score: Yan dominated the early standup, but Magomed changed the momentum with that throw and was controlling most of the grappling exchanges. Even so, I would argue that he didn't do that much damage on the ground while Yan attempted multiple submissions, some of which actually looked close. I'm actually going to say 10-9 Yan on this one.
Final score -- again, looking at this through the lens of Unified Rules, not knowing how they do things in ACB -- I came up with either a 47-47 draw, or 47-46 Yan. Depends entirely on whether you think Round 3 was worthy of a 10-8.

Rematch
  • Round 1: Holy shit it's Big John. Okay, looking beyond that. I think Petr isn't the only one who's improved in his time off. Magomed's technique and footwork striking looks more varied a lot crisper than their first match. All the same, Yan is able to cut him off at every turn and force him to circle the cage. Yan shows off his improved wrestling immediately by fighting off the first TD attempt, after which the two clinch against the cage for a bit with Magomed being the aggressor. Petr ends up dumping him with a sweep like he did in the first fight, landing a knee to his head as he's getting up. A bit more striking with Petr controlling the tempo and Magomedov tries again to force the TD, pushing Yan against the cage only for him to angle out. The two engage on the feet and Magomed actually sits Yan down briefly by hitting him while he was spinning. Yan returns with some knees in the clinch, only to eat two flush elbows in return from Magomedov. The two strike largely uneventfully for the rest of the round, with Yan landing a late TD and coming close to taking Magomed's back before the latter scrambles away. Not sure how to score this one, but I'm actually leaning toward Magomed due to him controlling Petr against the fence and landing those significant strikes that he did. Yan's biggest moments were really two TDs he didn't get to do anything with, a body kick, and some knees. I'll say 10-9 Magomedov, albeit narrowly.
  • Round 2: The two trade on the feet and in the clinch, neither really having the upper hand before Magomedov pushes Yan to the cage and tries to snatch up a single-leg. Despite getting wheel-barrowed and punched during this sequence, Yan's TDD remains on-point and he pops right back up. He even turns the clinch around on Magomed to land a knee to the body for his trouble before disengaging, followed by a punch combination that sends him diving for another shot. Still no dice. Magomed tries a body lock and still can't control Petr for the TD. Yan spends some time at the fence before fighting the hands and escaping, landing a backwards elbow to Magomedov's head temple on the way out. The two engage and Magomed lands a solid body kick followed by a left straight to Yan's head, but this time it's actually Petr who takes him down with a hip throw of all things before securing the Thai plum and delivering a knee to the midsection. Magomedov spends the rest of the round pushing Yan against the fence, occasionally delivering shots. Yan briefly escapes and lands a single-leg of his own, but Magomed gets immediately back to his feet before the round ends. I feel this was Magomed's round. I think Petr had quite a few significant strikes (possibly more than Magomed), but Magomed had more control time and landed a few decent strikes of his own (I mean Usman wins fights like this all the time). I'll say 10-9 Magomedov.
  • Round 3: Petr comes out strong with the boxing and immediately backs Magomedov up with some stinging punches to the head. He fires back with wild strikes (looping overhands, a flying knee), but doesn't land anything of note and has his TDs defended by Yan who keeps piecing him up steadily in the standup while controlling the center of the cage. Magomedov manages to force Petr back into what's becoming a now-familiar position with his back to the cage, but still Yan defends the takedowns and lands some elbows before picking Magomed up on his shoulder, carrying him to the center of the cage and doing a good old WWE-style slam. Gotta love it. Yan spends the rest of the round picking Magomedov apart on the feet and in the clinch while defending his takedown attempts and not letting himself get held against the fence. Magomed lands a couple of decent shots (an uppercut to Yan's jaw during a clinch break, for instance), but even so it's usually at the same time Petr is landing a shot of his own. Yan actually ends the round having taken him down and is in top position. Obviously Yan's round. Potentially a 10-8 no less.
  • Round 4: Same story as the beginning of the last. Yan establishes dominance early in the striking department, with Magomed's only recourse being repeatedly going to the well with that snap kick to the body of his, along with some leg kicks later on. Other than that, Petr walks him down and lands a variety of strikes at will, both in and out of the clinch. He actually shoots a double-leg on Magomedov and gets yet another slam (albeit not as dramatic as the first), though it nearly comes at a cost as he almost falls prey to a guillotine. He fights the hands and slips out before working some GnP in Magomed's guard and gets yet another slam, this time ending up in side control before threatening a back-take. Controls the rest of the grappling exchange until they both end up on their feet again with less than a minute to go. Nothing much happens for the rest of the round, except for Yan sprawling out of yet another last-minute shot by Magomedov. 10-8 Yan.
  • Round 5: Magomedov looks like has a fire lit under him. He comes out and has some early success with his body kicks, a head punch, and even a well-timed spinning backfist. Yan forces the clinch and lands a short elbow to the temple. Yan pushes Magomedov briefly to the cage this time, still the aggressor, before initiating the clinch. Magomed makes an ill-advised attempt to reach down for a single-leg while in the Thai plum. Petr sees this and expertly torques his neck, off-balancing Magomed, sending him careening off to toward the fence when Yan releases the clinch. As he's recovering his balance, Yan lands a left cross flush on Magomed's jaw that rocks him very badly before immediately grabbing hold of him to deliver an upward knee to his dome as he's doubled over. Prior to this exchange, I would argue Magomed was winning the round, but this would have knocked a lot of guys out cold. Yan looks like he briefly considers a takedown, but reconsiders. The two clinch against the cage briefly until returning to the center of the cage. Magomedov still looks compromised and it shows in the ensuing striking exchanges as Petr walks him down and land a number of strikes before dumping him with a foot sweep, hitting him with another knee to the head as he gets back to his feet (Magomedov could really benefit from technical get-ups...) I'd probably score the final round a 10-9 for Yan. The only thing keeping it from being a 10-8 in my mind is the success Magomed was having on the feet early, though I admit it's very close. I think a 10-8 would be a valid score.
So final score for the rematch if I'm conservative about Rounds 3 and 5 would be 48-46 Yan. If I gave him 10-8s for both of those (which I think there's a decent case for), you end up with a 48-44. And new...

While I have you here @shoorik1987, what can you tell me about Magomedov as far as his base/background/etc.? I assume it's some kind of grappling. Is he Dagestani? I tried looking him up but I couldn't find much beyond his record. It doesn't help that there's apparently been a number of famous Russian athletes with the same name.

Yan is becoming one of my favorite fighters in the UFC. I always wanted to see a good boxing based prospect like Yan, someone who never became an established pro-boxer but had good experience in the sport and transitioned over. We had a few guys with boxing backgrounds before in the UFC but at best they seemed like regional tough guys like Marcus Davis and he transitioned late in his career.

Yan is on another level, he won a national title in a country of over 140 million which has a deep culture and infrastructure for amateur combat sports and transition to MMA at age 20 with seven years of boxing experience and like 70-80 bouts or something like that. He's nuts, you can really see how his boxing background sets him apart but you can also see he's not one of those guys who tries to represent his style, he's really a competitor who takes to all facets with his kicking and elbow game. Heck he even takes guys down every once in a while and will pound on them if he can get top position. A pet peeve of mine are guys who are too dedicated to the striking aspect and never go for takedowns or never capitalize on a knock down by taking top position, Yan does not do that which I love.

I actually really like Sterling and think he has a good shot here but I am on the Yan bandwagon. No BW champ has ever defended the UFC belt more than twice in a row, I want to see Yan become the first.

Man the more I watch Yan fight and read/hear his interviews the more I like the guy. He's training with the best in every area, master of sports in boxing, wrestling in dagestan, Muay Thai in thailand... That's a true champ mentality. Plus he's humble and likeable. That's a fighter I can be a fan of

These posts both sum up my thoughts perfectly. I like Sterling a lot, too and I think he has a solid chance at an upset, but... my pick will be firmly on Yan along with me rooting for him. The guy is quite the talent and easy to like both in and out of the cage.

@shoorik1987 I watched the fights. Thanks again for linking them! My thoughts/analysis/commentary under the spoiler tag.

First Fight
  • Round 1: Tough first round for Yan. He was never really "in it" at any point. Eats a head kick immediately and then spends most of the fight getting wrestled and put on his back. That said, he did a good job of remaining composed, controlling his opponent's posture to keep him from landing GnP, and also fought off the submission attempt after Magomed took his back. I don't know if ACB operates under similar scoring criteria to the Unified Rules, but I would be comfortable scoring that as a 10-8 for Magomed.
  • Round 2: Despite all the adversity Petr faced off the bat, he actually came out stronger in this round. He landed a good flurry on the feet before Magomed took him down again. This time Yan was able to scramble and lock up a kimura grip. He even briefly had Magomed in a crucifix position of all things. Great trip get back to his feet, but he makes a mistake I think in trying to engage rather than creating space to try and work his striking, allowing Magomedov to take him down again after Petr briefly threatened a guillotine. However, Yan immediately reversed the position with a sweep and came surprisingly close to snatching up an armbar. Magomed defends that, so Yan briefly threatens what looks like a triangle choke only to turn it into a belly-down armbar. This is a really cool sequence that showcases Yan's game off his back, which I didn't realize he had. Even though he doesn't get the sub, it allows him to escape from the bottom (and presumably looks good to the judges). The rest of the round is largely uneventful, both guys (who are clearly fatigued from the grappling, understandably) taking turns pushing one another up against the cage and trading shots in the clinch. I would say Yan gets the better of the exchange with his knees and a really nice sweep he lands that dumps Magomedov on the mat. I would say 10-9 Yan overall.
  • Round 3: Yan comes out aggressive, backing Magomed up in the striking. Even after being knocked down (or slipping? it's hard to tell), he gets right back up and doesn't let his opponent off the hook. It pays off as Petr throws a spinning kick to Magomed's body, forcing him to drop his guard after which Petr immediately follows up by landing a flush left hand that knocks Mago down and rocks him badly. Yan even gives him some knees from the Thai clinch as he's getting back up and trying to recover before picking him up and slamming him up and delivering even more strikes in the clinch. Sprawls easily when Magomed shoots on him before achieving mount and attempting an armbar. Despite being compromised, it's still clear Magomed is better on the mats as he escapes and achieves a body triangle (Maia-style human backpack) after a series of scrambles. He lands some strikes while trying to set up the RNC with Yan defending admirably until the round ends. Tough one to score -- Yan getting a near-finish on the feet makes me think a 10-8 in his favor is warranted. Conversely, Magomed having the edge in the grappling department and controlling him on the ground for the entire second half of the round might be enough to reduce it to a 10-9.
  • Round 4: Some back-and-forth striking exchanges, maybe with the slightest of edges toward Yan. Magomed shoots and briefly controls Petr before things get back to the feet, only to secure a better TD later on that leads to him landing some GnP from Yan's guard for most of the round while looking to pass. Again, Petr does a decent job of preventing this while minimizing the damage he receives on the bottom. Yan attempts a triangle toward the end of the round, but I can't tell how close it was to being locked in when the horn sounded. 10-9 Magomedov.
  • Round 5: Magomed immediately starts the final round by pushing Yan to the fence and getting a brief takedown, only for Petr to pop back up and escape. Yan sprawls out of the next TD and lands a good punch combination finished off by a kick, followed by clinching with Magomed to work his knees yet again. His Muay Thai looks really sharp this fight. Magomed dives for another shot and once again Petr defends well, punishing him with strikes while he's on the ground and getting back up. However, he gets a little overconfident here and looks to clinch with Magomedov who pulls off a frankly beautiful head-and-arm throw. He had spent the entire fight up to this point attempting lower-body shots, realized Yan had his number and was going to continue to spraw-and-brawl him, and gave him a different look that he hadn't yet seen which also exploited Petr's willingness to engage in the clinch. From here it's a bunch of back-and-forth scrambles on the ground, each guy looking like they have it in the bag until they get swept only to sweep the other in turn. Yan attempts multiple submissions off his back, but Magomedov manages to defend until they stand up and strike to the end of the round. Another tough one to score: Yan dominated the early standup, but Magomed changed the momentum with that throw and was controlling most of the grappling exchanges. Even so, I would argue that he didn't do that much damage on the ground while Yan attempted multiple submissions, some of which actually looked close. I'm actually going to say 10-9 Yan on this one.
Final score -- again, looking at this through the lens of Unified Rules, not knowing how they do things in ACB -- I came up with either a 47-47 draw, or 47-46 Yan. Depends entirely on whether you think Round 3 was worthy of a 10-8.

Rematch
  • Round 1: Holy shit it's Big John. Okay, looking beyond that. I think Petr isn't the only one who's improved in his time off. Magomed's technique and footwork striking looks more varied a lot crisper than their first match. All the same, Yan is able to cut him off at every turn and force him to circle the cage. Yan shows off his improved wrestling immediately by fighting off the first TD attempt, after which the two clinch against the cage for a bit with Magomed being the aggressor. Petr ends up dumping him with a sweep like he did in the first fight, landing a knee to his head as he's getting up. A bit more striking with Petr controlling the tempo and Magomedov tries again to force the TD, pushing Yan against the cage only for him to angle out. The two engage on the feet and Magomed actually sits Yan down briefly by hitting him while he was spinning. Yan returns with some knees in the clinch, only to eat two flush elbows in return from Magomedov. The two strike largely uneventfully for the rest of the round, with Yan landing a late TD and coming close to taking Magomed's back before the latter scrambles away. Not sure how to score this one, but I'm actually leaning toward Magomed due to him controlling Petr against the fence and landing those significant strikes that he did. Yan's biggest moments were really two TDs he didn't get to do anything with, a body kick, and some knees. I'll say 10-9 Magomedov, albeit narrowly.
  • Round 2: The two trade on the feet and in the clinch, neither really having the upper hand before Magomedov pushes Yan to the cage and tries to snatch up a single-leg. Despite getting wheel-barrowed and punched during this sequence, Yan's TDD remains on-point and he pops right back up. He even turns the clinch around on Magomed to land a knee to the body for his trouble before disengaging, followed by a punch combination that sends him diving for another shot. Still no dice. Magomed tries a body lock and still can't control Petr for the TD. Yan spends some time at the fence before fighting the hands and escaping, landing a backwards elbow to Magomedov's head temple on the way out. The two engage and Magomed lands a solid body kick followed by a left straight to Yan's head, but this time it's actually Petr who takes him down with a hip throw of all things before securing the Thai plum and delivering a knee to the midsection. Magomedov spends the rest of the round pushing Yan against the fence, occasionally delivering shots. Yan briefly escapes and lands a single-leg of his own, but Magomed gets immediately back to his feet before the round ends. I feel this was Magomed's round. I think Petr had quite a few significant strikes (possibly more than Magomed), but Magomed had more control time and landed a few decent strikes of his own (I mean Usman wins fights like this all the time). I'll say 10-9 Magomedov.
  • Round 3: Petr comes out strong with the boxing and immediately backs Magomedov up with some stinging punches to the head. He fires back with wild strikes (looping overhands, a flying knee), but doesn't land anything of note and has his TDs defended by Yan who keeps piecing him up steadily in the standup while controlling the center of the cage. Magomedov manages to force Petr back into what's becoming a now-familiar position with his back to the cage, but still Yan defends the takedowns and lands some elbows before picking Magomed up on his shoulder, carrying him to the center of the cage and doing a good old WWE-style slam. Gotta love it. Yan spends the rest of the round picking Magomedov apart on the feet and in the clinch while defending his takedown attempts and not letting himself get held against the fence. Magomed lands a couple of decent shots (an uppercut to Yan's jaw during a clinch break, for instance), but even so it's usually at the same time Petr is landing a shot of his own. Yan actually ends the round having taken him down and is in top position. Obviously Yan's round. Potentially a 10-8 no less.
  • Round 4: Same story as the beginning of the last. Yan establishes dominance early in the striking department, with Magomed's only recourse being repeatedly going to the well with that snap kick to the body of his, along with some leg kicks later on. Other than that, Petr walks him down and lands a variety of strikes at will, both in and out of the clinch. He actually shoots a double-leg on Magomedov and gets yet another slam (albeit not as dramatic as the first), though it nearly comes at a cost as he almost falls prey to a guillotine. He fights the hands and slips out before working some GnP in Magomed's guard and gets yet another slam, this time ending up in side control before threatening a back-take. Controls the rest of the grappling exchange until they both end up on their feet again with less than a minute to go. Nothing much happens for the rest of the round, except for Yan sprawling out of yet another last-minute shot by Magomedov. 10-8 Yan.
  • Round 5: Magomedov looks like has a fire lit under him. He comes out and has some early success with his body kicks, a head punch, and even a well-timed spinning backfist. Yan forces the clinch and lands a short elbow to the temple. Yan pushes Magomedov briefly to the cage this time, still the aggressor, before initiating the clinch. Magomed makes an ill-advised attempt to reach down for a single-leg while in the Thai plum. Petr sees this and expertly torques his neck, off-balancing Magomed, sending him careening off to toward the fence when Yan releases the clinch. As he's recovering his balance, Yan lands a left cross flush on Magomed's jaw that rocks him very badly before immediately grabbing hold of him to deliver an upward knee to his dome as he's doubled over. Prior to this exchange, I would argue Magomed was winning the round, but this would have knocked a lot of guys out cold. Yan looks like he briefly considers a takedown, but reconsiders. The two clinch against the cage briefly until returning to the center of the cage. Magomedov still looks compromised and it shows in the ensuing striking exchanges as Petr walks him down and land a number of strikes before dumping him with a foot sweep, hitting him with another knee to the head as he gets back to his feet (Magomedov could really benefit from technical get-ups...) I'd probably score the final round a 10-9 for Yan. The only thing keeping it from being a 10-8 in my mind is the success Magomed was having on the feet early, though I admit it's very close. I think a 10-8 would be a valid score.
So final score for the rematch if I'm conservative about Rounds 3 and 5 would be 48-46 Yan. If I gave him 10-8s for both of those (which I think there's a decent case for), you end up with a 48-44. And new...

While I have you here @shoorik1987, what can you tell me about Magomedov as far as his base/background/etc.? I assume it's some kind of grappling. Is he Dagestani? I tried looking him up but I couldn't find much beyond his record. It doesn't help that there's apparently been a number of famous Russian athletes with the same name.

These posts both sum up my thoughts perfectly. I like Sterling a lot, too and I think he has a solid chance at an upset, but... my pick will be firmly on Yan along with me rooting for him. The guy is quite the talent and easy to like both in and out of the cage.

Very nice and detailed analysis.

Yan lost first fight, but you wouldn't understand commentary. They made the call that Yan did an illegal headbut so they took 1 point and he lost a split decision in the end because of it. It was BS decision since they were grappling in the clinch and it was completely accidental. The ACB president came out on stage after the fight and said that he thinks Yan won. Because of BS judging they called in big John for rematch.

You can clearly see the work he's done on his wrestling between fights. In first fight he didn't look good on the ground and got stuck there in several rounds. The second fights he was at times initiating the TDs.

About Magomedov. His background is Wushu-Sanda, Kung-Fu. He and Zabit are team mates and went to the same Wushu-Sanda boarding school for "troubled youth". It's a closed boarding school in Dagestan mountains that Zabit describes being almost like a prison, where the kids study and train martial arts 3 times a day. Made a post a while back, look it up if you're interested, called "Zabit went to Kung-Fu boarding school" or something along those lines. It's a Zabit interview that I translated along with videos from that school that actually has it's own YouTube channel which I also link to.

If you search through my posts and type "Zabit boarding school" you should find it.

Last edited:
Very nice and detailed analysis.

Yan lost first fight, but you wouldn't understand commentary. They made the call that Yan did an illegal headbut so they took 1 point and he lost a split decision in the end because of it. It was BS decision since they were grappling in the clinch and it was completely accidental. The ACB president came out on stage after the fight and said that he thinks Yan won. Because of BS judging they called in big John for rematch.

Aaaah, I see. That makes much more sense. The point deduction changes everything and it makes a lot more sense as to why Yan won -- I wasn't sure what the judges saw in the rounds that made them give it to Magomed. I could understand them not giving Yan the 10-8s as I did, but Magomed getting the nod overall seemed strange. I saw the yellow card and meant to ask about it. I didn't realize it signified a point being deducted; I thought it was only a warning or something. That's huge. What a letdown for Petr.

A single incidental clash of heads is not worthy of a point deduction unless you've repeatedly warned the fighter in question about leaping into striking exchanges by leading with his head, for example.

You can clearly see the work he's done on his wrestling between fights. In first fight he didn't look good on the ground and got stuck there in several rounds. The second fights he was at times initiating the TDs.

Absolutely. It was like night and day, honestly. His ability to scramble and his BJJ game (which is another part of his game I now have more respect for) was the only thing that kept him in the first fight. In the second fight not only was he scoring takedowns of his own like you said, but off-hand I can't remember Magomedov scoring a single clean takedown that amounted to anything in the rematch. That's huge. Not to mention that Yan made this improvement in the space of about a year, with a fight in between no less.

About Magomedov. His background is Wushu-Sanda, Kung-Fu. He and Zabit are team mates and went to the same Wushu-Sanda boarding school for "troubled youth". It's a closed boarding school in Dagestan mountains that Zabit describes being almost like a prison, where the kids study and train martial arts 3 times a day. Made a post a while back, look it up if you're interested, called "Zabit went to Kung-Fu boarding school" or something along those lines. It's a Zabit interview that I translated along with videos from that school that actually has it's own YouTube channel which I also link to.

If you search through my posts and type "Zabit boarding school" you should find it.

I found it. I didn't realize the two came up through the same program. I was aware of Zabit growing up in a Sanda boarding school, but I had no idea it was so hardcore. By the looks of it he wasn't far off in describing it as a prison. It literally looks like a walled-off compound in the middle of nowhere...

The Sanda background explains why Magomed's striking is decent and his aptitude for takedowns -- Sanshou allows a wide variety of throws and wrestling techniques. Did he train in freestyle wrestling afterward like Zabit and many other Dagestani youths or did he go straight into MMA?

Did he train in freestyle wrestling afterward like Zabit and many other Dagestani youths or did he go straight into MMA?

I think most boys in Dagestan train wrestling. I'm sure they practice it now when they compete in MMA. Don't think he competed in wrestling though.

Another guy who came through that program is Muslim Salikhov "King of Kung-Fu" who is fighting in UFC.
I would say he's the best Wushu-Sanda guy out 3 of them.

I like how him and Khabib call out the top contenders in their divisions like that. Seems like Russian sports culture is very meritocratic so its only natural for them to notice who really deserves it and who doesn't

Very true. I remember Khabib long saying Ferguson was the fight he needed to have, not Conor......Everyone knew he was right, never mind the UFC’s M.O.

I think most boys in Dagestan train wrestling. I'm sure they practice it now when they compete in MMA. Don't think he competed in wrestling though.

Another guy who came through that program is Muslim Salikhov "King of Kung-Fu" who is fighting in UFC.
I would say he's the best Wushu-Sanda guy out 3 of them.

Agreed, I'm familiar with Muslim and I've been keeping an eye on him now that he seems to be potentially making his way toward a Top 15 slot. He has some very impressive accolades in the striking sports. Didn't look great in his last fight, though I hope he can redeem himself against Silva. I have concerns about his age though, I think that's going to hold him back and keep him from being a real contender in such a grappling-heavy division.

Agreed, I'm familiar with Muslim and I've been keeping an eye on him now that he seems to be potentially making his way toward a Top 15 slot. He has some very impressive accolades in the striking sports. Didn't look great in his last fight, though I hope he can redeem himself against Silva. I have concerns about his age though, I think that's going to hold him back and keep him from being a real contender in such a grappling-heavy division.

Yes with his age, he won't be able to go to the top. His style depends on speed and agility, which are all attributes that decline with age. Unfortunately for us he got into MMA too late.

I heard Peter Yan is huge in Dagestan

Preparation continues. Some nice footage of the very spartan conditions that this gym has.

Yan short interview:

- Dagestan wrestling is number 1 in the world. What's the secret about it? There's no secret, you can see for yourself in this small gym there are 50-60 people, sometimes as much as 70 people training at once. You can see the atmosphere here. Everything is simple, there are not luxuries here. Simple working conditions, simple young guys that all wish to accomplish something. You can see for yourself the type of wars they have on the mats just to get a point. All of this motivates.

Coach Huseinov about Yan:

- When I met him in Thailand he was fighting for the belt in ACB. I saw potential in him because he trained more than everyone. When we were in Thailand he was the last person to leave the gym and he left it all in the gym. He had fire in his eyes, he set a goal for himself and worked hard towards it. To do 7 fights in UFC in 1,5 - 2 years and grab the belt, very few people can achieve that.

Some more footage of Yan's wrestling camp from a local Dagestan news channel, you can already see improvement in his wrestling.

The interview is more of the same as before, Yan praising Dagestan wrestling and says that you can never be satisfied with your level wether it be striking or wrestling and always have to evolve and look for opportunities to improve.

Coach Huseinov says that Yan is progressing and is the best kind of student to have, always works hard and follows instructions.

Found some bonus material

Team Yan vs Team Taisumov play Dagestan basketball :D. (score in the upper left, red = Taisumov, blue = Yan).

Training session with Yan and Taisumov. That's an old school gym. There is some footage in there of Yan and Taisumov wrestling.

UPDATE: 24th september.

Preparation continues. Some nice footage of the very spartan conditions that this gym has.

Yan short interview:

- Dagestan wrestling is number 1 in the world. What's the secret about it? There's no secret, you can see for yourself in this small gym there are 50-60 people, sometimes as much as 70 people training at once. You can see the atmosphere here. Everything is simple, there are not luxuries here. Simple working conditions, simple young guys that all wish to accomplish something. You can see for yourself the type of wars they have on the mats just to get a point. All of this motivates.

Coach Huseinov about Yan:

- When I met him in Thailand he was fighting for the belt in ACB. I saw potential in him because he trained more than everyone. When we were in Thailand he was the last person to leave the gym and he left it all in the gym. He had fire in his eyes, he set a goal for himself and worked hard towards it. To do 7 fights in UFC in 1,5 - 2 years and grab the belt, very few people can achieve that.

used to play a game called 'Rough 21', which resembled how they played

except my friends and I threw punches like the moron kids we were
still fun though

used to play a game called 'Rough 21', which resembled how they played

except my friends and I threw punches like the moron kids we were
still fun though

We used to play this when I was a kid and trained judo. The exact same game, easier to grab hold of people in GI tough.

Petr Yan loosing bet to multiple time European wrestling champion Ibragim Ilyasov.

Bet: He wouldn't be able to take Yan down in 15 seconds or less.

People in the comments and the guys around claiming it was a false start. People demand rematch.

Petr Yan takes revenge for the first loss in the post that I'm quoting in practice. Wrestling a 2 time European wrestling champion.
Petr Yan is a really quick learner, can see him improving with every passing day over there.

Last edited:
The guy who Petr Yan is wrestling in the video above has made a instagram post:

"Rematch with @petr_yan

Petr wrestling is on a high level, he can compete with the best of wrestlers. I was happy to get to know you.

@funkmastermma this night will be hard for you"

The man who Petr is wrestling is Ibragimov Ilyasov

European Champion U23 2018 - Gold
World Military Champion 2017 - Gold
European Championship U23 - Bronze
European Junior Champion 2015 - Gold
European Cadet Champion 2012 - Gold

- You know, I'm not that good of a wrestler to go to the elite wrestling gyms where national team guys train. In this gyms there is very good pool of good wrestlers and very serious position. The main thing about gyms like this is the atmosphere, when you enter you smell the sweat and the blood and it motivates you to work.
- Yes, kids stop me a lot on the street. I have 10 people every morning waiting for me outside of the hotel wanting to take a picture. I understand that I'm a role model for the kids, so I never refuse to take a photo with children.
You have to love Yan.

Back