Media Petr Yan wrestling camp in Dagestan (updated 27-09-2020)

Wrestling camp is over. Petr Yan went to Grozny (today on of Russia's most beautiful cities) with Taisumov.

Flying home tomorrow.

I'm looking forward seeing the results of this training camp against Aljo later this year.

Do you think this fight will be announced soon?

Big exclusive footage of Yans training.

A new interview with Yan out today, gonna be translating it later today.

EDIT: Look through all pages, I kept posting stuff there since I'm limited to "5 pieces of media per post". More footage further on. These new post-update Sherdog rules suck!

Petr Yan training in Zelimkhan Huseinov's (in the middle) gym in Khasavyurt, Dagestan. Huseinov multiple time world champion for Russia and Azerbaijan. Right now the head coach of Azerbaijan wrestling national team.

Petr Yan met up with Mairbek Taisumov

"Wrestling training continues. In 2017 I came here for wrestling training. It's good for you to return to this kind of "ghetto" 3 years later... It smells of sweat and blood, the smell of hard work."

First week of wrestling camp over.

Sterling getting KTFO by Yan.

WAR Yan!
-------------------
EDIT:
On that same channel as videos below, found an interview with Yan from the gym + some training footage.

We are happy to welcome you in Dagestan. How did you end up in this training camp?

- I got to know coach Zelimkhan in 2017 in Thailand where he was preparing Mairbek Taisumov for a fight. After that in 2017 I came he twice for training camps ahead of Magomed Magomedov rematch. (those of you sherddogers who haven't seen those two fights, it's a must watch!).
Now I got opportunity to return here.

Knowing the result of that fight, your last trip to Dagestan was good for you.

- I think it's good to come here because Dagestan has strong wrestling. I like to train in this gym in particular since I was welcomed here and I like the approach of the head coach Zelimkhan. All the guys are helpful and friendly here.

Yes, I wanted to ask you why you came here of all places. It's a very small and basic gym. There are plenty of bigger and better gyms to train.

- You know, I'm not that good of a wrestler to go to the elite wrestling gyms where national team guys train. In this gyms there is very good pool of good wrestlers and very serious position. The main thing about gyms like this is the atmosphere, when you enter you smell the sweat and the blood and it motivates you to work.

(the interview asks about what sights he seen in Dagestan, Dagestan food etc. I skipped that.)

Do you plan to move up in weight?

- No I gotta do a couple of title defuses and then we'll see, so no such plans yet.

So this is the first phase of preparation for your next fight?

- I wouldn't call this the first phase. This is just to leave home, abstract from everything and start of training process. First I'm here to work on my wrestling, next phase will be to mix in grappling and submissions to train on submission defence.

Do you get recognised on the streets?

- Yes, kids stop me a lot on the street. I have 10 people every morning waiting for me outside of the hotel wanting to take a picture. I understand that I'm a role model for the kids, so I never refuse to take a photo with children.

Your next opponent is Sterling if I understand correctly. What do you know about him, what are his strongest attributes?

- It's not completely decided but it will probably be Sterling. I personally want him to be my next opponent. He's one of the top contenders that really deserves a title shot, so first and foremost I would like to beat him and then see what comes next.

Sterling strongest attributes are jui jitsu, wrestling and his physical attributes. But we'll wrestle with him, we'll see.

Which of you former opponents does he resemble the most stylistically?

-He's not really like anyone of my former opponents. Maybe a bit like Magomed Magomedov, in that he just like Magomed goes for a single leg after he throws a couple of punches. Back when I fought Magomed I didn't really know how to counter that, but now if he tries that he'll eat a knee to the face.

Would you say that Magomed Magomedov fight was the toughest of your career? Maybe Rivera fight was tough too.

-I wouldn't say so. The first fight with Magomedov was just a brawl, I didn't really have any game plan or tactic for that fight. I did a lot of unnecessary that maybe cost me the win. I think that the rematch was a really serious and important fight because the belt and my career development was on the line. I would also say one of the most important fights of my career was the title fight against Jose Aldo. I had some serious moral pressure... to fight an opponent like that, fight for the UFC title. That was my toughest fight in terms of what was on the line and level of responsibility.

You and Khabib were both on the tournament in Moscow in memory of his father Abdulmanap. I saw your picture together. Did you speak with him and what did you talk about?

- Yes we met. He congratulated me on the victory and I gave my condolences to him. We didn't speak so much more other than that.

What is your prediction for Khabib vs Gaethje?

- I would say 60% against 40% in favour of Khabib. I think it will come down to cardio and endurance and Khabib is better prepared in that aspect than Gaethje. He will outwork Gaethje and I think you'll see Gaethje gassing after second or maybe even after first round.

How realistic is your fight with Henry Cejudo?

- I don't know, he's resting or running, if he comes back maybe we'll fight.

Where will you continue your camp?

- I'll be here for some time, will be waiting for the news about my next fight. After that I will return home to Yekaterinburg and continue preparations there and then we'll see.

You have 2 sons, do you see a future for them in MMA?

- I don't know what will happen in 15-18 years when they are adults. But they need too at least reach master of sport level in some kind of martial art. That's a must.

is Azerbaijan separate from Russia in the olympics and world wrestling, if he's in Dagestan (Russia) how can he be coach for Azerbaijan? or am i missing something here?

is Azerbaijan separate from Russia in the olympics and world wrestling, if he's in Dagestan (Russia) how can he be coach for Azerbaijan? or am i missing something here?

Coach is Dagestani who's hired as coach of Azerbaijan.

Everything looks like it was photographed on a prison yard.

Azerbaijan is a separate country, also in the Caucasus region, former Soviet Republic, also very good in wrestling. Azerbaijan borders Russia and you can get to Dagestan on car in about 3.5 hours, so it's close. Also, culturally, it's not too off, so for a coach to go to Dagestan and work there, no big deal really.

But those guys In his gym... are those his Azerbaijan guys or are those mostly Dagestani guys that will wrestle for Russia?

He has both Azerbaijan guys and Russia guys, most Azerbaijan guys are really Dagestani guys who did not qualify for Russia :D.

Much like with the gaethje and khabib fight, it's not yan's wrestling that I'm worried about—it's his BJJ. Sterling is a very good wrestler, but he's an even better BJJ guy.

Much like with the gaethje and khabib fight, it's not yan's wrestling that I'm worried about—it's his BJJ. Sterling is a very good wrestler, but he's an even better BJJ guy.
Can sterling get Yan on the ground though?

He has very good TDD and sub defence.

He has both Azerbaijan guys and Russia guys, most Azerbaijan guys are really Dagestani guys who did not qualify for Russia :D.
that's really not true though, Azerbaijan has a lot of local talent, wrestling is #1 or #2 sport in popularity there as well.

Back