Peruvian Neck-Tie

What they show in that vid is NOT a neck tie. It is just some funky neck crank. A neck tie puts your ass to sleep it does not crank your neck at all.

Or maybe it is and the choke I do has some other name??

I'll find a vid. . .

You're right
I was told to s-grip my hands near his neck so you can hold tight to him while you step over.
While this might put some pressure on the neck, its definitely a choke.

Tyrone Glover put Andy Wang to sleep with one in the finals of the SoCal Pro-Am Invitational, but I can't find it online

I don't really like a tight grip initially for the PNT. I find a loose grip lulls my opponent into a false sense of security, and initiates the choke better (it IS a choke not a crank). I like to "bunny hop" both legs over top if possible, while extending my legs once I hopped over to choke. I also like a more right angle than the one he uses.

It seems like the most sensible way to escape the peruvian neck tie would be kind of a reverse of the armbar escape where you push the leg off your face - you push the leg off the back of your head.

Is this viable?

I have been using the guillotine that Renzo uses with one arm in with no-gi. I can try this too.

So somebody that is good at this technique: In it's correct form, is this a blood choke, a trach choke, a crank, or a combination of sorts?

I was working on this a couple weeks ago with a training partner and we were trying to play around with it to where we were getting mostly a blood choke, but couldn't manage to get the grips quite right to cut off both ateries. How are you gripping your hands are where exactly are you putting everything?

So somebody that is good at this technique: In it's correct form, is this a blood choke, a trach choke, a crank, or a combination of sorts?

I was working on this a couple weeks ago with a training partner and we were trying to play around with it to where we were getting mostly a blood choke, but couldn't manage to get the grips quite right to cut off both ateries. How are you gripping your hands are where exactly are you putting everything?

You don't need to compress both carotids for a blood choke, just one.

You don't need to compress both carotids for a blood choke, just one.

Yeah I know that, but it just seemed a little too slow of a blood choke because once you start putting the pressure on the top of the head with your hamstring and pulling in with your hand grips, then it's just too much pressure on the throat and it turned into more of a trachea crush. Which is why I want to know how people are gripping and where to have it the most effective. I've seen a gable grip used, a guillotine grip, an s-grip, etc.

Yeah I know that, but it just seemed a little too slow of a blood choke because once you start putting the pressure on the top of the head with your hamstring and pulling in with your hand grips, then it's just too much pressure on the throat and it turned into more of a trachea crush. Which is why I want to know how people are gripping and where to have it the most effective. I've seen a gable grip used, a guillotine grip, an s-grip, etc.

The PVT is very fast when applied correctly. The trick is to start with a loose grip, IMO. Here's a video of Ricardo Miglairese - a black belt - doing the PVN:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXGkeHwOF1w&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXGkeHwOF1w&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And here's my student Jesse Grossi, a white belt, doing it in his second match ever!

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" flashvars="" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-8912220146255572101&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

there it is, the "give 'em a leg" concept : grossi baits with the leg, then finishes

What they show in that vid is NOT a neck tie. It is just some funky neck crank. A neck tie puts your ass to sleep it does not crank your neck at all.

Or maybe it is and the choke I do has some other name??

I'll find a vid. . .

the way its done here its more of a crank but if u can figure 4 ur arms or just get ur arms around the carotid u can get the choke

the way its done here its more of a crank but if u can figure 4 ur arms or just get ur arms around the carotid u can get the choke

What the heck are you talking about??? Figure-4 the arms makes it a totally different move (you can't finish the PNT way unless you break your body into two pieces)...

Definitely is not a figure 4 grip.
BTW, Anyone know why it got that name?

iirc it was because tony desouza used it alot and tony is pervian.

Definitely is not a figure 4 grip.
BTW, Anyone know why it got that name?

It was a legal technique in Olympic Wrestling that the Shultz bros used a lot. However, since they choked a lot of people out with it, it became illegal. Tony De Souza learned it from one of their seminars while he lived in California and incorporated into his own grappling system - cholitzu - which is really his "cool" name for BJJ + wrestling (like 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, etc). Since Tony is Peruvian, he nicknamed it the Peruvian neck-tie. A PNT is really slang for a type of execution according to Urban Dictionary, so the term is really a form of dark humor.

What the heck are you talking about??? Figure-4 the arms makes it a totally different move (you can't finish the PNT way unless you break your body into two pieces)...

it becomes more of a darce choke than a true peruvian but it is possible and ur right it is a different move

Back