People need to rewatch the Rashad v Davis fight, but wont do, because its "boring"

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
filthy_casuals.jpg

Im not even going to pretend Davis didnt get tooled, because he did.

images

Rashad came in with a better gameplan, and had the whole thing in his pocket.

What he didnt do is "SMASH DAVIS".

And its a little bit of an urban myth, that is holding back one of the truly elite top 10 fighters in the ufc, under the age of 30.

3+(2).gif

Rashad gained takedowns off the counter, and off trips. He had a viable striking deterrent and was able to box close and make Davis look ugly.

Rashad and Jones are two different fighters though. Rashad has a lower center of balance and much closer boxing. Davis gameplan stunk frankly, trying to come at a guy like that from the outside. But the fact he wasnt finished and the fact Rashad never once shot on him for a takedown, just shows the level of dumbfuck, associated with the retrospective telling of a fight no one wants to subject themselves to again.

Indeed rashad only won the takedown battle 3/2, with all 3 coming off the clinch.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/01/evans-vs-davis-official-ufc-statistics.html

As for the striking battle, Rashad won 62/51, which again is a heady margin, but hardly the ass kicking advertised afterwards.

Evans didnt routine Davis, he tooled him with a much better gameplan.

10_Evans_Davis_08.jpg

He didnt win a war of attrition, as much as he dominated a war of margins.

If Davis does get his title shot, and he does get Jones down, i expect him to finish him. Weve never really seen Jones off his back, but no one wants to be under Phil Davis and we know this.

He has some way to go, but its about time he got the same break people give Gus, for his loss to Phil.

If he hadnt lost this one, hed be unbeaten, and Rashad could well be the worst of match ups for him currently out there.

Were people saying that Rashad smashed Davis?

I thought people expected Davis to win and were surprised at how little he was able to do to Rashad; it was a pretty one-sided fight.

Do you have examples of people saying Rashad smashed him?

To me it Showcased Rashad edge in experience and with out a doubt made Davis better

Bla bla bla

Davis is average and would get tooled by Jones, Gus (now), Glover

on this semantic spectrum

beat..............controlled............dominated..............destroyed

TS thinks it's................................here

not......................................................................here

any questions?

well, that one was easy /thread

Are people allowed to improve?

Do people also get worse?

Rashad got worse since then and lost to Lil Nog.
Davis improved since then and defeated Machida.

Davis is just hitting his stride now.
Just being around the guy makes other fighters better. He learned Gus how to defend TD's and even take down fighters who had never been taken down before.

any questions?

People have used this fight to talk shit about everything from Davis striking to his wrestling. He scored one less takedown and 10 less significant strikes.

Rashad won each of the rounds, but this was no ass whuppin.

Can't beat rashad yet he's gonna finish Jones?

Cant beat Machida but hes going to beat Davis.
Cant beat Lil Nog, but hes going to beat Phil Davis...

Welcome to MMAths.

Besides, Jones came a jab away from losing to someone Davis finished in Gus.

Davis was simply just step behind Rashad at very crucial moments. Take the first round. Davis was walking away with the round until Rashad caught that kick.

For me this fight was Davis being too green at the time. If they fought again, I think we would see a much different fight.

any questions?

Not really, considering what you said was poorly expressed and barely made any sense. If your point is that TS is only arguing the severity in which Rashad beat Davis and not the outcome itself I'd say that's self-evident and doesn't mean very much.

Back to the topic, though what you say is true I think he is still worse in every aspect than Jones, whereas say, Gus was better at boxing and used it almost perfectly. Davis would have to come in at his best and with a perfect gameplan and execute it flawlessly, and he still would likely lose. imo

People have used this fight to talk shit about everything from Davis striking to his wrestling. He scored one less takedown and 10 less significant strikes.

Rashad won each of the rounds, but this was no ass whuppin.

Cant beat Machida but hes going to beat Davis.
Cant beat Lil Nog, but hes going to beat Phil Davis...

Welcome to MMAths.

Besides, Jones came a jab away from losing to someone Davis finished in Gus.

shrug. not begin as good as Rashad is a mighty big umbrella.

but he's not as good as Rashad. and yes, Rashad was in total control the whole fight but did not SMASH him.

alas, you're the first person i saw describe it with that term - the definition of straw man. good job.

He was also put in a crucifix multiple times:

rashad-evans-biting-into-phil-davis-bulge-mounted-cross-ufc-ultimate-fights-e1351015995676.jpg

It was a very, very decisive victory for Rashad.

What stood out to me the most was that Davis clearly knew he had to finish the fight in round 4 or 5 and did not take any risks whatsoever in order to do it. He was content to coast to a decision loss standing outside on the feet.

Why bring this fight up now? Guy with more experience beat guy with less experience, stop the presses.

shrug. not begin as good as Rashad is a mighty big umbrella.

but he's not as good as Rashad. and yes, Rashad was in total control the whole fight but did not SMASH him.

alas, you're the first person i saw describe it with that term - the definition of straw man. good job.

Lol. What a load of waffle. Rashad isnt as good as Nog or Machida, who Davis beat.

Pettis isnt as good as Guide in your brain...