Rewatch Pená doesn't get the respect she deserves for beating Nunes

Peña has a hard nosed approach and it allowed her to press a particular advantage that ANY fighter would have had that night over Nunes.

She basically "Homer Simpson'd " out a win by blocking punches with her face until Nunes got tired.

That isn't exactly the upper echelon of elite martial arts tactics. But hey, a win is a win, ugly or not.

I think she gets about the right amount of respect.

Also wasn't Nunes recently sick at that point and they postponed the bout? I feel like that was a factor too.

Pena is that you? Pena never won anything else of any significance other than a fluky win over a COVID-affected Nunes with bad lungs. It is the holistic picture that counts. Not one single data point.

You want proof? Go look at interviews Pena was doing just before the first fight where she had a insider/mole in ATT telling her Nunes was not even coming to train meaning, Nunes was going to duck in the first fight according to Pena.

Anyone who looks at the difference between round 1 and round 2 can tell Nunes completely checked out in round 2 taking deep breaths and did not want to be there after winning first round. She simply went for broke and started brawling out of desperation. Nunes looked her typical self in the 2nd fight. Nunes domination in the 2nd fight showed, she has proven to be on a different level when she is 100%.

There is nothing before or after to substantiate it was not a fluke other than this blip. She will always be a one-hit wonder while Nunes will always be the GOAT if one looks at the totality of the body of work by both. Nunes beat every single champion and other than this fluky win, what does Pena have?

When Nunes came in proper shape and did not gas out (Nunes won the round 1 in the first fight and gassed out due to poor preparation and COVID), it was not even a competitive fight. It was a brutal beatdown!

There was total domination Nunes had on Pena in the second fight where Nunes knocked her down a record 5 times in 2 rounds? Pena got so desperate that she drove her head into Nunes' right eye and head butted her in round 3 just to slow her demolition down. Still, Nunes still destroyed Pena for another 2 rounds mauling to the point the commentators were begging the fight to be stopped.

If the 2nd fight had been remotely competitive, by Pena's own admissions she wanted to show it was not a fluke and it was a total one sided domination. The fact that she could not even put up a decent fight, clearly proved the first fight was a fluke. Yeah, Nunes could not finish her because Pena has the ability to take insurmountable amount of punishment and still not give up. I giver her that.

Reality is, one judge gave a n unprecedented 50-43 and the other judge gave a 50-44. Nunes had multiple 10-8 rounds on the judges cards. You would have an argument, if Nunes had lost a round 10-9 even if she won overall, but Nunes destroyed Pena in every single round by the numbers. If you know anything about scoring, that is considered a brutal beatdown and also the fight stats say the same thing.

Classic windmill punches in action and the punishment. This happened 5 times in round 1 and round 2 (a record)

Headbutting in action in round 3 where Pena successfully broke Nunes' orbital bone and closed her right eye, but the brutal beatdown continued till the end of the fight. As manipulative as Pena is, post fight she tried to make it sound like she broke Nunes' orbital bone and closed her eye with punches when that was patently false.

View attachment 1061734

So Nunes was desperate after winning the 1st round? Makes sense.

Nunes looked her typical self in the 2nd fight? Can you let me know any other Nunes fight where she spent the entire fight in southpaw, where she isn't nearly as comfortable as she is in orthodox?

Nunes striking was overrated. Pena would slip and jab and hide from the right hand behind her own shoulder or elbow and follow up with an ugly right hand of her own after Nunes would hit the gaurd.

Nunes literally had no answer to Pena moving her head off centerline and jabbing. She had to fight the rematch almost entirely in southpaw exclusively to deal with that slip jab because she didn't have the skill set to adjust in a more economical way.

Watching Nunes switch back to orthodox every time she retreated just to go back to southpaw as soon as she was done back pedaling told us everything we needed to know.

Yes Nunes dominated the rematch. If you watch the styles of the fighters and the tendencies of the fighters it will hold alot more weight than reading headlines and wiki records.

She looked soft and out of shape for the fight. People noticed that before the fight.

She definitely didn't look as physically imposing sure. See one of my above replies that has a bit more rebuttals or counter arguments u might find interesting to reply to.

Pena won can't take it away from her but it's pretty well documented before the fight Nunes was really sick, and shouldn't have fought. Nunes gassed in 1 round. They fought again when Nunes was healthy, and she beat her like Pena was a soccer Mom for 5 rounds.

Pena will always have her Matt Serra moment though.

So Nunes was desperate after winning the 1st round? Makes sense.

A win is a win and Pena won fair and square. No questions there whether it was cardio or not. My fluke analogy is based on what I am only looking at in terms of skills quotient of how repeatable that success was That is where the 2nd fight domination answers all of the questions. Nunes won the first round 10-9. I mean, why is this even a question? Nunes did everything in round 1. She knocked her down in the 1st fight and then took Pena to the ground while mauling her in the round 1 finishing the round on the ground. He cardio has always been an issue even before COVID. She was already gassing hard when the 2nd round began because of the first round grappling took all of her energy. She went for broke with Pena and started brawling as she got weaker and weaker and hence lost especially once she got caught. She had spent too much energy in the first round on the ground with Pena for her weak cardio to handle. Her cardio was sh*t in the first fight because of COVID affected lungs. You can see it in her face as to how dehydrated she looks in the face-off. It is a 100% fact. It was disproven by the 2nd fight where it was not even remotely competitive for 5 rounds.

Nunes looked her typical self in the 2nd fight? Can you let me know any other Nunes fight where she spent the entire fight in southpaw, where she isn't nearly as comfortable as she is in orthodox?
She has a different game plan in every fight. So what? The video below shows how effective it is against a rushing in Pena with her lead hand. Nunes would have dominated, even if Pena came in prepared for an Orthodox stance. That is what the totality of the 2nd fight suggests. Against Holly Holm she said she came in with a game plan of dealing with her rushing in combos that Holly does differently because she was a different fighter. Same thing, with Cyborg or with Ronda Rousey. That is why she dominated the way she did that she always was unpredictable for her opponent when she was well prep'ed. If you somehow think that was a success story that she was switching stances in the fight then so be it. Many fighters fight in both stances and well prepared, she would win the fight anyway she likes. Key is, well prepared.

Nunes striking was overrated. Pena would slip and jab and hide from the right hand behind her own shoulder or elbow and follow up with an ugly right hand of her own after Nunes would hit the gaurd.

Overrated? She beat everyone in the two divisions. Finished the most fearsome striker in the WMMA history. Nunes was given less than 10% chance of winning. She herself admitted she was an MMMA fighter and not a boxer who used whatever means necessary to win the fight. She dominated Pena both on the feet and on the ground to the point it was a glorified sparring match. I posted the video above showing how Nunes kncoked Pena down 5 times in 2 rounds. You look at fight stats, it is not even close between the two. That rushing in windmill punches is the worst MMA striking ever seen.

You clearly did not watch these two videos below

This is Pena's best tactic she used to try to swarm her opponents. Nunes uses orthodox stance smartly to have the lead hand in front to break Pena's rhythm of running towards her opponent while spinning her arms wildly.

Nunes literally had no answer to Pena moving her head off centerline and jabbing. She had to fight the rematch almost entirely in southpaw exclusively to deal with that slip jab because she didn't have the skill set to adjust in a more economical way.

This is not a boxing match. It is MMA. At the end of the day, Nunes DOMINATED Pena in the 2nd fight by any means necessary and only winning matters. Who else has been knocked down 5 times in 2 rounds other than Pena? How many MMA or WMMA fighters defended their title where they won every single round? How many people have scored 50-43 wins on their resume? Nunes took Pena down at will and mauled her on the ground to the point the commentators were begging the ref to stop.

Watching Nunes switch back to orthodox every time she retreated just to go back to southpaw as soon as she was done back pedaling told us everything we needed to know.

That was her game plan. It is literally grasping at straws to find glimmer of hope somewhere. Switching stances or not, it was a one-sided fight. I am looking at the whole 25 minutes as to how it went where it was domination everywhere. Nunes fought about 2 rounds with one eye closed and still dominated.

Yes Nunes dominated the rematch. If you watch the styles of the fighters and the tendencies of the fighters it will hold alot more weight than reading headlines and wiki records.

I don't need to see cherry picked examples. Nothing changes the fact that her path to victory is extremely narrow on any given night and a lucky punch against a well prepared Nunes where Nunes wins 9/10 times. If Pena could have a glimmer of hope somewhere with that jab, I say congratulations to you that she landed something. I am totally good with that. How the swelling on the face due to broken orbital bone on Nunes face because of the headbutt being spun as some sort of a success story for Pena, shows how disingenuous Pena fans are.

I look at the holistic picture. It was not a competitive fight. In relative terms, other champions don't nearly as bad dominate their title defense as Nunes did. I mean even, Islam, Jones and Khabib never had a 50-43 fight. Nunes won every single round. She was dominant in both the striking and got all of the 6 takedowns in the fight. She won 10-8 rounds on two judge's cards. The only thing I can say, Nunes could not finish Pena because Pena has this insurmountable ability to take punishment and not give up. She is literally willing to die in there. That is something I give her full credit for.

Last edited:
A win is a win and Pena won fair and square. No questions there whether it was cardio or not. My fluke analogy is based on what I am only looking at in terms of skills quotient of how repeatable that success was That is where the 2nd fight domination answers all of the questions. Nunes won the first round 10-9. I mean, why is this even a question? Nunes did everything in round 1. She knocked her down in the 1st fight and then took Pena to the ground while mauling her in the round 1 finishing the round on the ground. He cardio has always been an issue even before COVID. She was already gassing hard when the 2nd round began because of the first round grappling took all of her energy. She went for broke with Pena and started brawling as she got weaker and weaker and hence lost especially once she got caught. She had spent too much energy in the first round on the ground with Pena for her weak cardio to handle. Her cardio was sh*t in the first fight because of COVID affected lungs. You can see it in her face as to how dehydrated she looks in the face-off. It is a 100% fact. It was disproven by the 2nd fight where it was not even remotely competitive for 5 rounds.

She has a different game plan in every fight. So what? The video below shows how effective it is against a rushing in Pena with her lead hand. Nunes would have dominated, even if Pena came in prepared for an Orthodox stance. That is what the totality of the 2nd fight suggests. Against Holly Holm she said she came in with a game plan of dealing with her rushing in combos that Holly does differently because she was a different fighter. Same thing, with Cyborg or with Ronda Rousey. That is why she dominated the way she did that she always was unpredictable for her opponent when she was well prep'ed. If you somehow think that was a success story that she was switching stances in the fight then so be it. Many fighters fight in both stances and well prepared, she would win the fight anyway she likes. Key is, well prepared.

Overrated? She beat everyone in the two divisions. Finished the most fearsome striker in the WMMA history. Nunes was given less than 10% chance of winning. She herself admitted she was an MMMA fighter and not a boxer who used whatever means necessary to win the fight. She dominated Pena both on the feet and on the ground to the point it was a glorified sparring match. I posted the video above showing how Nunes kncoked Pena down 5 times in 2 rounds. You look at fight stats, it is not even close between the two. That rushing in windmill punches is the worst MMA striking ever seen.

You clearly did not watch these two videos below

This is Pena's best tactic she used to try to swarm her opponents. Nunes uses orthodox stance smartly to have the lead hand in front to break Pena's rhythm of running towards her opponent while spinning her arms wildly.

This is not a boxing match. It is MMA. At the end of the day, Nunes DOMINATED Pena in the 2nd fight by any means necessary and only winning matters. Who else has been knocked down 5 times in 2 rounds other than Pena? How many MMA or WMMA fighters defended their title where they won every single round? How many people have scored 50-43 wins on their resume? Nunes took Pena down at will and mauled her on the ground to the point the commentators were begging the ref to stop.

That was her game plan. It is literally grasping at straws to find glimmer of hope somewhere. Switching stances or not, it was a one-sided fight. I am looking at the whole 25 minutes as to how it went where it was domination everywhere. Nunes fought about 2 rounds with one eye closed and still dominated.

I don't need to see cherry picked examples. Nothing changes the fact that her path to victory is extremely narrow on any given night and a lucky punch against a well prepared Nunes where Nunes wins 9/10 times. If Pena could have a glimmer of hope somewhere with that jab, I say congratulations to you that she landed something. I am totally good with that. How the swelling on the face due to broken orbital bone on Nunes face because of the headbutt being spun as some sort of a success story for Pena, shows how disingenuous Pena fans are.

I look at the holistic picture. It was not a competitive fight. In relative terms, other champions don't nearly as bad dominate their title defense as Nunes did. I mean even, Islam, Jones and Khabib never had a 50-43 fight. Nunes won every single round. She was dominant in both the striking and got all of the 6 takedowns in the fight. She won 10-8 rounds on two judge's cards. The only thing I can say, Nunes could not finish Pena because Pena has this insurmountable ability to take punishment and not give up. She is literally willing to die in there. That is something I give her full credit for.

I am convinced you're trolling.

Its overshadowed by nunes winning the rematch

I am convinced you're trolling.

Trolling? If you really want to go down the disrespect path, I am convinced either Pena could be this delusional or you are displaying die-hard fanboism of Pena that has no cure. How could I be trolling when I literally talking objective facts with evidence? She got destroyed in the fight as much as you would like to take away from Nunes. Period. Also, Pena has beaten no one of significance other than that fluky win when she was 2-2. Again, I look at the totality of the picture in order to avoid selective arguments. You grasping at straws by marginalizing literally down to one thing that she switched stances while ignoring the totality of the picture, is comical. If just switching the stance made all of the difference then it speaks to how one tricky pony She literally does the same thing over and over again even when she gets cracked hard in her face, which is running towards her opponent with reckless abandon. There are only so many ways even with highest level of skills, one could break that charge. I am sure you think that laughable display of what she calls striking where she runs while spinning her arms wildlly, is masterfull striking. Right?

You can make excuses all you want and grasp at straws, but the fact remains it was not even a fight and the commentators were begging the ref to stop it in the final two rounds. 50-43 is biblical levels of domination. Stop making excuses.

Last edited:
My takeaways:

1 - If you book a fight, you should train and prepare. I don't think Nunes prepared for the 1st fight.

2 - If you punch Nunes hard enough to buzz her good, she will quit and look for an exit.

3 - If you make some bank, you should retire and go have fun.

Trolling? If you really want to go down the disrespect path, I am convinced either Pena could be this delusional or you are displaying die-hard fanboism of Pena that has no cure. How could I be trolling when I literally talking objective facts with evidence? She got destroyed in the fight as much as you would like to take away from Nunes. Period. Also, Pena has beaten no one of significance other than that fluky win when she was 2-2. You grasping at straws by marginalizing literally down to one thing that she switched stances while ignoring the totality of the picture, is comical. She literally runs towards her opponent with reckless abandon. There are only so many ways even with highest level of skills, one could break that charge. I am sure you think that laughable display of what she calls striking where she runs while spinning her arms wildlly, is masterfull striking. Right?

You can make excuses all you want and grasp at straws, but the fact remains it was not even a fight and the commentators were begging the ref to stop it in the final two rounds. 50-43 is biblical levels of domination. Stop making excuses.

Oh my god lol this is wild

Oh my god lol this is wild

ROFL...you are having a meltdown because of how ludicrous and desperate you sound at your attempts to prop up Pena's failures into some sort of a success story. It is one thing to try to amplify Pena's first fight win, but what is wild is how Juliana Pena and her fans try to spin the domination in the 2nd fight into something like a success story?

Never have I ever heard such types of ludicrous rhetoric in a fight that was total domination. All 5 rounds lost, 50-43 on one of the judge's scorecard, record number of knockdowns in a fight, commentators begging for ref to stop the fight, memes all over the internet from that fight and yet, here we are. You either are Pena or you are a die-hard Pena fan to be going to this extent of making excuses. Seriously, dude just stop.

Last edited:
ROFL...you are having a meltdown because of how ludicrous and desperate you sound at your attempts to prop up Pena's failures into some sort of a success story. It is one thing to try to amplify Pena's first fight win, but what is wild is how Juliana Pena and her fans try to spin the domination in the 2nd fight into something like a success story?

Never have I ever heard such types of ludicrous rhetoric in a fight that was total domination. All 5 rounds lost, 50-43 on one of the judge's scorecard, record number of knockdowns in a fight, commentators begging for ref to stop the fight, memes all over the internet from that fight and yet, here we are. You either are Pena or you are a die-hard Pena fan to be going to this extent of making excuses. Seriously, dude just stop.

The irony lol

It’s the Serra vs GSP of WMMA. Amanda beats her 9/10 times and Peña got that 1

Pena had the "off night" against Nunes in the rematch, didn't even looked like she even trained for that fight

Back