Rewatch Pená doesn't get the respect she deserves for beating Nunes

Exactö
It was a legit win. It's just that the rematch was a total blowout and the way she flailed and flopped about while getting dropped multiple times was embarrassing.

juliana-pena.gif

This is a fucking professional fighter and was the reigning champ. The UFC wants $80 for you to witness that shit. One of the most embarrassing striking sequences I've ever seen.
I was searching for that sequence, most embarrassing moment maybe, when it comes to a championship fight, in the history of fighting,
Just Ronda tops it

Honestly so many chicks could've beat Nunes that night. It wasn't so much the bombs, but she refused to do any defense afterwards, it was like she was throwing the fight.

Exactö

I was searching for that sequence, most embarrassing moment maybe, when it comes to a championship fight, in the history of fighting,
Just Ronda tops it
It is Matt Riddle level striking, still levels above Ben Askren though.

7.gif

Never got it either

It wasn't even a split decision/robbery or anything, but a legitimate finish, if there was no ref there Pena literally takes Nunes' life, and people pretend it never happened lol
If it was a fight to the death Nunes probably would have trained for it and not came into the fight soft.

It was bad that nunes couldn't handle a slip and jab.
And then like other fights where she has gotten outclassed on the feet she tries taking them to the ground, but pena has a ground game as well.

Pena is a grindr. She has a lot of heart and determination too! I respect her but don’t like her.

It was bad that nunes couldn't handle a slip and jab.
And then like other fights where she has gotten outclassed on the feet she tries taking them to the ground, but pena has a ground game as well.

Pena is that you? Pena never won anything else of any significance other than a fluky win over a COVID-affected Nunes with bad lungs. It is the holistic picture that counts. Not one single data point.

You want proof? Go look at interviews Pena was doing just before the first fight where she had a insider/mole in ATT telling her Nunes was not even coming to train meaning, Nunes was going to duck in the first fight according to Pena.

Anyone who looks at the difference between round 1 and round 2 can tell Nunes completely checked out in round 2 taking deep breaths and did not want to be there after winning first round. She simply went for broke and started brawling out of desperation. Nunes looked her typical self in the 2nd fight. Nunes domination in the 2nd fight showed, she has proven to be on a different level when she is 100%.

There is nothing before or after to substantiate it was not a fluke other than this blip. She will always be a one-hit wonder while Nunes will always be the GOAT if one looks at the totality of the body of work by both. Nunes beat every single champion and other than this fluky win, what does Pena have?

When Nunes came in proper shape and did not gas out (Nunes won the round 1 in the first fight and gassed out due to poor preparation and COVID), it was not even a competitive fight. It was a brutal beatdown!

There was total domination Nunes had on Pena in the second fight where Nunes knocked her down a record 5 times in 2 rounds? Pena got so desperate that she drove her head into Nunes' right eye and head butted her in round 3 just to slow her demolition down. Still, Nunes still destroyed Pena for another 2 rounds mauling to the point the commentators were begging the fight to be stopped.

If the 2nd fight had been remotely competitive, by Pena's own admissions she wanted to show it was not a fluke and it was a total one sided domination. The fact that she could not even put up a decent fight, clearly proved the first fight was a fluke. Yeah, Nunes could not finish her because Pena has the ability to take insurmountable amount of punishment and still not give up. I giver her that.

Reality is, one judge gave a n unprecedented 50-43 and the other judge gave a 50-44. Nunes had multiple 10-8 rounds on the judges cards. You would have an argument, if Nunes had lost a round 10-9 even if she won overall, but Nunes destroyed Pena in every single round by the numbers. If you know anything about scoring, that is considered a brutal beatdown and also the fight stats say the same thing.

Classic windmill punches in action and the punishment. This happened 5 times in round 1 and round 2 (a record)

Headbutting in action in round 3 where Pena successfully broke Nunes' orbital bone and closed her right eye, but the brutal beatdown continued till the end of the fight. As manipulative as Pena is, post fight she tried to make it sound like she broke Nunes' orbital bone and closed her eye with punches when that was patently false.

1725778567207.png

Last edited:
Honestly so many chicks could've beat Nunes that night. It wasn't so much the bombs, but she refused to do any defense afterwards, it was like she was throwing the fight.
I think Nunes ended up in the situation were she was such a big favourite the only way she could raise her stock in the fight was blowing though Pena, she basically just tried walking right though her offence showing her zero respect and got beaten up and finished due to it.

I think it shows some ego and lack of tactical awareness by Nunes but really the rematch i think shows you Nunes probably wins this 9/10 times taking Pena seriously.

Last edited:
A lot of people try to act like Nunes just had a bad night & that's why she lost, but the reality is Pena was way tougher than Nunes anticipated & had a good gameplan; she lured Nunes into a brawl, Nunes gassed, & Pena made her quit.

Clearly Nunes is the better fighter, but on that night Pena prevailed for a reason & it wasn't because Nunes had an off night.

I know in the rematch Amanda put it on Pena, but she had to be extremely calculated because of how dangerous Pena was to her, & it's not like Pena didn't get her licks in that fight either; Nunes face was a mess by the end of that one .

View attachment 1061581

The main thing this fight showed is how shockingly bad WMMA is. You could grab a random 14 year old boy from your local gym and he’d destroy Peña and Nunes

The main thing this fight showed is how shockingly bad WMMA is. You could grab a random 14 year old boy from your local gym and he’d destroy Peña and Nunes

Ahhhhh...no! Yes, it is significantly inferior to men's, but not that much. Nunes submitted a BJJ expert who was bigger and taller than her named Jake Shields multiple times.

Last edited:
penas cool. been a fan since tuf. shes one of the only wmma fighters with a pulse. she wants to be there, she wants to sell the fight, and shes not fuckin boring. So many lame ass smoke break wmma fighters and people throw pena shade.
i believe this is true - in their tuf season it appreared amanda was not connected to her team, while julianna was very hands on and even rocked up for her team's tuf finale (iirc it was 3 team pena fighters and 1 team nunes fighter in the end)

She beat her soundly too. Was Manda having a really off night and Pena having her best night ever.

Pena absolutley sucks.

Nunes obviously was drunk in that first fight.

I can't believe people still think Nunes had an off night. There's plenty of evidence to go against that.

Back