Pavlik vs. Mora - September 27th

kelly just needs to put a mean ass kicking on this guy. Period.

I believe he said he wanted to do that anyway in the beginning. But when Shane Mosley showed interest in fighting him, he might have changed his mind. But now with a bigger fight on his lap and all the mess involving vernon and the mandatory, I can't imagine him doing anything else. He will drop the belt.

Yeah that was the plan all along, and it was Mosley that changed it. He just wanted the big name/world class win over Forrest, but Mosley presented the same opportunity: an aging smaller fighter, with a good name and world class skills.
I would have liked to see that fight, but oh well, Mora is a tough guy and will be a decent work out for Kelly.
I was one of the people posting in the thread about Forrest killing Mora, and I ate my words like everyone else, but I think its safe to say Pavlik will smash Mora with out too much trouble.

They ought to put Pavlik in there with Felix Sturm instead.

After 4 tough customers for Pavlik (Taylor(twice), Miranda, Zertuche), Pavlik deserved an easier one and got it in Gary Lockett.

Time to get back in the saddle again, and with no Abraham fight till next year, they ought to try to line up Felix Sturm for the Fall. Don't give Pavlik another dead man to fight.

Nobody even mention John Duddy or else!

Mora's pitty-pat style isn't going to register with Pavlik. Kelly is too reckless (his greatest strength and weakness is his willingness to trade). Mora is tough but he can't trade with a power puncher. Pavlik is no slouch and hits hard to the body.

Mora has a boring, yet elusive style. I think Pavlik's strategy will be go to the body early to slow down Mora. Then wear him down with the barrage of punches thrown from every angle.

Mora's strategy will always be the same - dance, taunt, and pitty-pat. It's effective but he's had problems with power punchers that have stamina.

I believe he said he wanted to do that anyway in the beginning. But when Shane Mosley showed interest in fighting him, he might have changed his mind. But now with a bigger fight on his lap and all the mess involving vernon and the mandatory, I can't imagine him doing anything else. He will drop the belt.
Maybe I'm missing something here - bigger fight. Bigger than Mosley?

More money?

Mora could just drop the belt and Vernon and the mandatory will fight for it.

What would be more ridiculous is if Mora some how sits on his punches and knocks Pavlik out. I don't even know what I would do then... You guys ever saw that special on the Red Sox's and their 1986 loss in the world series? I'll imagine me and a bunch of boxing fans would do the same thing those 1986 fans did. Just walk outside aimlessly for hours with our heads down. Gawd... That would be awful.

If that happens Norman Stone will be replaced...

Are they talking about Sergio Morra. I wish Calzag would just take this fight already, how long is the ducking going to take place. Anyways, Pavlick by brutal one two combo in the fourth.

While I believe Kelly will win I will root for Sergio just so that I could witness the carnage that will be going on here. It was hilarity when Mora beat Forrest and there seemed to be a bunch of "WTF"'s being posted on the fight thread.

They ought to put Pavlik in there with Felix Sturm instead.

After 4 tough customers for Pavlik (Taylor(twice), Miranda, Zertuche), Pavlik deserved an easier one and got it in Gary Lockett.

Time to get back in the saddle again, and with no Abraham fight till next year, they ought to try to line up Felix Sturm for the Fall. Don't give Pavlik another dead man to fight.

Nobody even mention John Duddy or else!

Felix is a step up, but he's a protected fighter in Germany. He doesn't have the power to fend off Pavlik. He does have a jab though. A very good, laser jab. That's about it.

Felix is a step up, but he's a protected fighter in Germany. He doesn't have the power to fend off Pavlik. He does have a jab though. A very good, laser jab. That's about it.

Seems to me like Sturm vs. Abraham would be the biggest fight to hit Germany in a very long time...

Does anyone think that can happen?

Seems to me like Sturm vs. Abraham would be the biggest fight to hit Germany in a very long time...

I can't see why not? The fight would be a huge unification bout in Germany. But then again, aren't both fighters under the same promoter? Maybe they are trying to protect them from each other so they both remain goldmines for them.

This is an ok fight in a very shallow division. Mora is probably better then Sturm who is looking terrible fighting hand picked opponents.

Who else is there in the middleweight division? Abraham has his mandatory, and Winky Wright is probably demanding to much money. Sylvester and Duddy aren't very good.

Calzaghe turned down the superfight, its not fair to expect the middleweight champion to fight super middleweights. All that matters is if he fights Abraham early next year.

Probably not, rival promoters and Sturm wants no part of it.

Wow! I wonder if Mora will be allowed to bring any weapons to the ring?

Should be an entertaining fight, and God knows Pavlik needs a fighter to bring in the ratings, but how does this help him prepare for Abraham? Pavlik should bend a little to Winky's demands, take the extra risk, and practice his shell-breaking offense. Ya, there's a sizable chance that the superfight could be derailed if Winky touches Kelly too often with his gloves, but let's be honest: if Kelly can't penetrate Winky's defense then he has no business fighting Arthur, who can wreck more than Pavlik's record.

C'mon, Mora, put up some ratings!

By the way, why all the dislike for Mora? Is it the reality show? I don't know much about him.

Back