• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paulo Costa seems to be genuinely surprised that he didn't win

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
He posted this on Twitter now, saying that he was only touched a little by Rob:

And in a previous tweet that there's already a thread on, he said the following:

“Congrats Hob on your victory, you did a very good job and organized that. And I just feel I damaged him very well, you know? Only jabs, but I should have connected more hands on him. Pressure a bit more. But that’s it...
I'm feeling my prime. I don’t feel worse, but maybe a lack of [being] competitive inside the cage. My fight mindset was not so accurate. I thought I was winning the third round but I wasn’t, so yeah. I'm so down, could have pressured a bit more, but these are small details. I will fix off these details to be back and not commit to the same mistakes again.”

Also, on instagram he posted this:

So it would seem that he's basically saying that he didn't feel any need to more in round 3, but in hindsight he realizes that he should have landed more volume. "If only I knew, there would have been more activity".

Thoughts about these statements?

He is deluded, he lost clearly 2-1, and he would have lost the 1st round as well if he had not landed that nice spin kick. There was nothing controversial about the judges decision at all, totally correct.

This is why you need to have a coach who'll tell you the bad news before the last round.

A lot of fighters are really bad at estimating their own performance. Just because they don't get hurt, they think they're winning, even when they're absorbing a ton of punishment.

He had the same reaction when he lost to Vettori. I guess he doesn't feel like Vettori or Rob hit him as hard as he hit them, which kinda makes sense since he landed headkicks on both of them.
But basically he was outclassed in both fights. Still looked pretty good but clearly a step behind technically.

He posted this on Twitter now, saying that he was only touched a little by Rob:

And in a previous tweet that there's already a thread on, he said the following:

“Congrats Hob on your victory, you did a very good job and organized that. And I just feel I damaged him very well, you know? Only jabs, but I should have connected more hands on him. Pressure a bit more. But that’s it...
I'm feeling my prime. I don’t feel worse, but maybe a lack of [being] competitive inside the cage. My fight mindset was not so accurate. I thought I was winning the third round but I wasn’t, so yeah. I'm so down, could have pressured a bit more, but these are small details. I will fix off these details to be back and not commit to the same mistakes again.”

Also, on instagram he posted this:

So it would seem that he's basically saying that he didn't feel any need to more in round 3, but in hindsight he realizes that he should have landed more volume. "If only I knew, there would have been more activity".

Thoughts about these statements?

I agree that Rob didn’t hurt him. Costa is a tough dude but he clearly lost at least 2 rounds.

I mean, I don't see anything wrong with what he said. It seems he thought he had won the third in the moment but after either re-watching or reflecting he realized he came up just short in a very close fight which is 100% the case. Whittaker showed that he's still one of the best 3 or 4 MWs in the world and Costa showed improved accuracy and that he's not far behind that level. This looks like one of those fights were both guys stock went up prior to what it was before the fight. MW has become a lot more interesting IMO since it was about a year ago, lots of guys in the top 7ish that can beat or lose to other top 10 guys.

Back