Pat Curran: 'I can definitely beat Jose Aldo'

He's too passive to give any sort of trouble to Aldo. probably look similar to the Homnick fight without Aldo gassing ass bad.

He's too passive to give any sort of trouble to Aldo. probably look similar to the Homnick fight without Aldo gassing ass bad.

That's a good style to have against Aldo. Aldo is a counter fighter mostly. Curran uses his jab a lot, and doesn't over-extend much to concede his reach, and make him prone to counter shots. I think he matches up well. Not enough to be a deserved favorite, but he matches up well. I definitely don't think Aldo thrashes Curran like Hominick. Curran is notably tough to hit clean, whereas Hominick had bad striking defense. He also wasn't in any sort of way a legitimate title challenger like Curran is.

I do think he matches up well enough to be a deserved favorite over Mendes though, even though he wouldn't be. Mendes is a lot like Pitbull right now. His footwork is straight-forward, aggressive. He's not bouncing around in all different directions to make it tough for Curran to stick his jab in his face. And Curran has excellent tdd to avoid too much wrestling.

The stand-up styles I think would give Curran trouble are Frankie's and Swanson's, because of their lateral movement, (Cub's) diversity, and volume. Frankie I don't think Curran would beat. But he might catch Cub in a sub due to his recklessness.

Lamas to me is kind of winning with smoke and mirrors right now, eeking out wins, comebacks, taking advantage of fighter slipping, etc. So I'm confident he and a lot of top fw's would beat Lamas if they got the chance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I do think he matches up well enough to be a deserved favorite over Mendes though, even though he wouldn't be. Mendes is a lot like Pitbull right now. His footwork is straight-forward, aggressive. He's not bouncing around in all different directions to make it tough for Curran to stick his jab in his face. And Curran has excellent tdd to avoid too much wrestling.

The stand-up styles I think would give Curran trouble are Frankie's and Swanson's. Frankie I don't think he'd beat. But he might catch Cub in a sub due to his recklessness.

Lamas to me is kind of winning with smoke and mirrors right now, eeking out wins, comebacks, taking advantage of fighter slipping, etc. So I'm confident he and a lot of top fw's would beat Lamas if they got the chance.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Completely agree on these.

I like pat a lot but i think he wouldnt last very long with aldo

Why wouldn't he last long with Aldo, when 4 out of the last 5 opponents have (3 5-round decs, and KZ would have went all 5 likely if not for injuring himself), and since Curran is known for being good defensively?

There seems to be a lot of mystique with Aldo that doesn't come close to matching reality. This top guy won't last long for him, he could take this top guy down and sub him at will even though that's never happened against anyone with a win, and he has the greatest kicks even though he's never finished anyone with a win under unified rules by that method. He's a great fighter, but some people think he's the best at everything practically, when it's not remotely objective.

Why wouldn't he last long with Aldo, when 4 out of the last 5 opponents have (3 5-round decs, and KZ would have went all 5 likely if not for injuring himself), and since Curran is known for being good defensively?.

Has a lot to do with the competition in bellator and the ufc being worlds apart

Fail, Curran's beaten guys who would fit in very well in the UFC's featherweight division. Including a guy who would definitely be top 10 in Pitbull.

Oh, and Gil is overrated too right? He arguably lost in a B level org to UFC reject Josh Thomson :)

That's a completely irrelevant factor. Aldo isn't fighting another, lesser organization. He's fighting an individual man.

Anyways, Bellator's fw division is their best. UFC's division is better, but it's far from worlds apart. You making that statement shows you aren't qualified to speak on this subject. Curran has been tested. His last 4 opponents have been Pitbull, Sandro, Shamhalaev, and Warren. His next will be Straus. That's competitive with or better than all of Aldo's recent opponent's competition outside of Edgar's. Aldo would be a step up, but then again it was for everyone he's faced, and like I said 4 out of his last 5 should have gone the 5-round distance. Me thinks Curran would do the same.

He would give him a decent fight but ppl look at fights like Hominick and KZ where Aldo was clearly hurt and for some reason discredit him for those wins.

I dont see what he offers to a healthy Aldo tbh.

id like to see him vs Edgar or Mendes though

I would not put Hominick and KZ in the same sentence with Curran tbh.. Sorry UFC boys, but they would be defeated tournament champs at best, Hominick probably would not get that far imo..

That being said? I think Aldo is a bad match for Curran.. I don't think Curran would land the killer shot or submission he often does, and Aldo's leg kicks and pace are enough to win a UD more times than not. Aldo is the #1 FW in the world. Curran is the #2 or 3. Would like to see it, would have to pick Aldo via UD.

There are no absolutes when it comes to the level Curran and Aldo fight at. Pat is definitely a very talented athlete however and it would be an interesting fight.

:rolleyes:

He lasted 5 rounds with Alvarez, and he has never got hurt facing high level opponents.. Not saying he couldn't be hurt by Aldo, but there is NOTHING to make me think Aldo would get him out of there quick, especially after Aldo's last few fights.. Did he get KZ out quick? Hominick? Edgar? Curran is on or above those guys level.

Goreds1994 said:
I'd say Aldo -325 Curran +300 in this hypothetical fight. Curran definitely does have a chance to win though.

Sounds about right.

he needs to beat that scumbag who's running Bellator before he can beat anyone in UFC.

Bjorn Rebney is the real shxt, real enemy of fighters fighting there.

His "master plan" to not feed fighters to UFC is fuxk them with legal "matching right".

Back