Passing Guard

GuardGame

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some help passing the closed guard. I have 3 passes already but when I try them all, I always get countered because people know what passes I like to use...I would like you guys to list more passes for me and other people who are having the same problem, if its not too much to ask...Thanks :D

I take that back I have 4 passes, the Knee-up pass while im in guard. the pass where u hold on his chest and hip to the ground, stand up, and twist. grab the guys arm, stand up and work my other arm in between his legs. And the pass where u hold both his hips on the ground stand up and use your hips to stick you butt out and break his guard. Thats all I use, but i need more passes cuz everybody i roll with is already used to the ways i pass...so I need more passes from closed guard...thanks

Try this sub, it is easier to explain and works good too.

While their feet are crossed behind your back turn you upper body to the right, reach your right arm back hooking THEIR RIGHT foot. With their foot in the crook of your elbow pull it tightly back to your side and turn to the left while arching your back into their leg. I have not rolled with hardly anyone who knows this move and have tapped several people out with it so give it a try.

Thanks for that one man, really appreciate it. BUT I NEED PASSES!! As i said though, I appreciate it

Passing closed guard?
Well, it should go without saying that first you will need to OPEN your opponents guard.
Honestly I don't think you need more than you presently have. Perfect one or two passes, and be proficient at the rest.
Right at this moment my favorite guard pass is this:
Open the guard somehow.
Scoot back and away.
Hug your opponents legs at the knees, tight.
Keep your chin tucked and press all your weight down on the knees, with your body stretched out .
You should have your opponets legs tightly hugged and staightened out flat on the floor at this point. Scoot around to whatever side you're most comfortable with.
Side mount.

Again, don't worry about quanity of guard passes. Focus on quality.

I agree with bubble boy, just take those passes and MAKE them work. At the moment, my closed guard passes are poor against the blue belts, so before lesson, I pick a way of opening their guard & do everything I can do make THAT and THAT technique ONLY work.

Open your opponents guard, drive your arms under his legs and squeeze them together with the Dan Gable grip keeping you weight down on the back of his legs (crunching him up into a ball). Pull him in until his butt in pulled tight against your stomach. Once you reach this point stand up and flip him to the side and mount his back or throw strikes to the face from the side. That is one of my favorites.

I use three techniques after the guard opens.

A. Double underhook
B. Sprawl out, shutting the legs down
C. Knee cut across to either direction.
D. Backing out and standing up with knee control

Those are in no particular order. Which one I use depends on their response. If I open their guard, I use whichever I'm most comfortable with. If THEY open their guard, I scramble, using the one needed to defend against their attack.

Now, to open the guard, I usually insist on one of the basic passes kneeling that you should already know. For example, stiff arming the chest and hip. Then I work my standing passes, checking to see if they have a strong sweep game. If those basics don't work, and the situation is dire, I bust out the "Gracie Gift". That'll get that guard open because they start looking at you like an idiot and scheming on that triangle. I then pass immediately.

I'm a white belt though, and my shit only works up to mid level blues, and usually not that high, so take that for what its worth.

To a certain extent i agree with Bubble boy, you don't need hundreds of guard passes but instead need to concentrate on a few. However, I would learn as many as you can and then concentrate on the ones you feel are most natural for you. Try to pick a selection where, if possible, you have a variety which wil owrk against different types of opponent; if all your passes are very similar then an opponent who can block one can probably block them all.

This one's awkward but does work: stand up and if they keep their guard tight try to go straight over the top of them, you basically walk over them. If you maintain control of a leg you should end up with either a half boston crab or a decent leg lock position. Try not to lean to far forward as this leaves you in danger of getting swept to the side and mounted or armbarred.

If I'm hving a lot of trouble with someone this is something I use sometimes. Try to turn your opponent so they are tilted with more weight on one hip than the other. now come up on one knee so that your raised leg is the one on the same side as their higher hip. place this leg firmly on their solar plexus, there is a danger of leglocks from here so try to place your foot flat and sink it as deep into their stomach as possible (this will prevent it moving and cause some discomfort to your partner). Press down with your foot and bring your hips up to break their grip on you. From here you have two options; one is to leglock, the other involves reaching under their raised leg with the arm on that side and puliing it over the top and this way getting side mount.

I like to put the passes into four basic cattegories. Over or under the right or left leg. Number one pass for me is the reach under/around their leg, grab the lapel and pop their leg of you with the shoulder. Don't know what it's called. Reach around lapel pass maybe?
Anyway, if anyone understands the pass I'm talking about. I'm having a little trouble transferring it to no-gi. I've tried holding their leg tight, instead of grabbing the lapel, or reaching really high and cupping the back of their head.
They both work, but no where as well as with the gi. I haven't done much no-gi, just looking for opinions on this pass. Is it worth using?

Back