Passing guard - standing v. knees

tudor_bjj

Purple Belt
@purple
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
1,658
Reaction score
0
How do you guys preffer to pass the guard in a no gi situation: standing or on the knees? I find it safer standing (not to exposed to subs), but less controlable (sp?), as you don't have to much gripping alternatives. I do almost no gi training so you can maybe describe your way of passing in no gi.
Thx!
 
When you try to pass standing your opponent can sweep you or leglock you...

I do only no gi and usually my passes come from the knees position, but I like standing passes too.
 
The downside of standing to pass no-gi is that they will usually attempt to sweep because you can't hold onto him very well. The upside is that there's really only one good sweep, so you just work on defending that. I've been working my standing pass in both gi and no gi. Unfortunately it means I get swept a lot as a dial it in (especially against purples). Of course, I'm better at sweeping than passing, so it's not like I'm really in a worse situation.
 
Depends on the opponents style. If he prefers submissions over sweeps than I will go standing. If he prefers to sweep, than I pass on the knees with tight pressure keeping him flat on his back.
 
I do both but it seems that more often than not it doesn't follow the plan. Lot's of times the guy goes for a sub mid pass and I quickly take side mount or they have their leg on the ground and another pass presents itself.

If I had to choose I'd say standing.
 
from knees, my friend is excelent with leglocks, so I have a fobia to stand up when in someones guard :)))))
 
On the knees- less risk, more control, for me at least. To the people who prefer to pass standing: Do you only stand if you are unable to break the persons guard, or do you stand right away?
 
It's easier to break the closed guard standing but the problem I have is the guy hooking my leg when I try it. So I've been passing from the knees.
 
TheHighlander said:
The downside of standing to pass no-gi is that they will usually attempt to sweep because you can't hold onto him very well. The upside is that there's really only one good sweep, so you just work on defending that. I've been working my standing pass in both gi and no gi. Unfortunately it means I get swept a lot as a dial it in (especially against purples). Of course, I'm better at sweeping than passing, so it's not like I'm really in a worse situation.

there are lots of sweeps once you stand up in the guard. most poeple who have trained a while will not keep a guard closed when you stand. they will work spider, del la riva, x-guard, etc.

i figure it out as i go. i like standing passes and on the knees, but it really depends on who i am rolling with and what i think they can do.
 
DirectDrive said:
there are lots of sweeps once you stand up in the guard. most poeple who have trained a while will not keep a guard closed when you stand. they will work spider, del la riva, x-guard, etc.

i figure it out as i go. i like standing passes and on the knees, but it really depends on who i am rolling with and what i think they can do.

ya theres lots of sweeps against a standing guardpasser, i can think of five or so offhand. and most of them land you a nice leglock.
 
DirectDrive said:
there are lots of sweeps once you stand up in the guard. most poeple who have trained a while will not keep a guard closed when you stand. they will work spider, del la riva, x-guard, etc.

i figure it out as i go. i like standing passes and on the knees, but it really depends on who i am rolling with and what i think they can do.

Yeah, but I was pretty much referring to those sweeps that were easily accessible from just opening the closed guard when I stand (I should have been more clear). You don't see a lot of spider in no-gi, (no-gi) de la riva is usually from an open guard game and I usually see (no-gi) X transitions from butterfly. There's a lot more sweeps available if I stay on knees.

When I stand, they hook one or both legs and attempt to sweep. The single leg hook is pretty easy to defend, so that leaves the double. 99% of the time if the other guy sweeps me from me standing in closed guard, that will be it. I've been working on countering both the initial sweep (remaining standing) and the ending (preventing them from taking top control and getting points).
 
i dont like standing guard passes been caught with too many leg locks and ive caught people in too many when they stand
 
Killa_Cs said:
i dont like standing guard passes been caught with too many leg locks and ive caught people in too many when they stand

Interesting. I can't recall being caught in any leg locks from standing. On the other side, I don't usually see a lot of opportunities when I am being passed. I usually get leglocks during sweeps from knees.
 
i stand right away because i'm usually able to get a leg lock once i open their guard up just a little and considering leg locks are my primary subs that works for me
 
TheHighlander said:
Interesting. I can't recall being caught in any leg locks from standing. On the other side, I don't usually see a lot of opportunities when I am being passed. I usually get leglocks during sweeps from knees.
youve got to be quick about it. if the person stands you hook their leg and if they keep standing you drop your guard and spin if done right you should be able to make them fall forward and then you can go for a (reverse?) heel hook/kneebar or let go of the leg and scramble for their back
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,232,596
Messages
55,154,135
Members
174,640
Latest member
ahmed fesal1
Back
Top