• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

parent took a teacher hostage in stand-off today -- still ongoing

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...arricades-classroom-california-school-n816181

A parent barricaded an elementary school classroom and was holding a teacher hostage in Southern California, officials said Tuesday.

The man and the teacher remained inside the room late Tuesday afternoon at Castle View Elementary School in Riverside, about 50 miles east of Los Angeles.

Authorities said wasn't known whether the suspect was armed, but they said local, state and federal officers were all on the scene. The teacher wasn't identified.

It may have begun when a parent tried to take his or her child from the school and was refused, said a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation, who stressed that the information was preliminary and that police were still trying to piece together a possible motive.

No students were in the classroom at the time, and children at the school were evacuated to a nearby park, said Justin Grayson, a spokesman for the Riverside Unified School District. The school said all students had been accounted for.

This got lost in the madness of NY today.

Schools should not be able to hold a student hostage from a parent.

The school is not the parent.

And this parent might have a case against the school if the school would not release the kid.

You can't hold a teacher hostage, just call the cops.

We need more info though

I don't know why anyone wants to be a teacher. My sister is one. She doesn't get paid shit and when she gets home, she still has to grade papers and do a bunch of school related bullshit.

And this parent might have a case against the school if the school would not release the kid.

We need more info though

It's a safety precaution: it prevents non-custodial parents from showing up and kidnapping the child. Which happens frequently.

We need more info though
Actually school is the parents back in the old days. Perhaps it still is. And I mean by LAW. The school acts as the parent/guardian of the child. Parents need to sign off a paper saying they picked up their kid, especially if they're not recognized. They can't just give it to anybody.

It could be a number of things. Maybe the mom have custody so therefore the dad can't pick up the child or perhaps this was during school time and the dad have no valid reason to make the kid skip school. It's still preliminary. Will be interesting when we find out more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_loco_parentis

It's called loco parentis

Last edited:
Actually school is the parents back in the old days.
I think the school being the parent is a new thing. I've heard in these urban schools, the parents don't even feed their kids. They send them to school for breakfast lunch and supper. That's pathetic, they don't even feed their own kids.

It's a leftist thing. Your children aren't yours, they are property of the state.

I think the school being the parent is a new thing. I've heard in these urban schools, the parents don't even feed their kids. They send them to school for breakfast lunch and supper. That's pathetic, they don't even feed their own kids.

It's a leftist thing. Your children aren't yours, they are property of the state.

It's an old thing. And I think it is still in place.

The term in loco parentis, Latin for "in the place of a parent"[1] refers to the legal responsibility of a person or organization to take on some of the functions and responsibilities of a parent.

It's an old thing. And I think it is still in place.

The term in loco parentis, Latin for "in the place of a parent"[1] refers to the legal responsibility of a person or organization to take on some of the functions and responsibilities of a parent.
I've never heard of it or seen it when I went to school. My parents just came and got me out of school if I had to go to a Dr or leave early for some reason.

We need more info though
what does this have to do with a parent taking a teacher hostage. Victim blaming imo.

Maybe the parents can’t feed their kids. So the school does it.

shut the fuck up with this bull shit!

who the fuck do you listen to?
And then state it as a fact " they don't even feed their own kids"

you are a piece of shit for even suggesting this as a fact.
shit poster!

shut the fuck up with this bull shit!

who the fuck do you listen to?
And then state it as a fact " they don't even feed their own kids"

you are a piece of shit for even suggesting this as a fact.
shit poster!
<TrumpWrong1>

Three Meals a Day?

More students are eating every meal at school.

"So far, administrators are happy with the additional meal. "We knew that a lot of kids were only eating at school," Jeff Mills, director of food services for D.C. schools"
http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3756084

Holy shit. That's crazy

What's sad in the state of affairs of our schools, is that I work in a manufacturing environment with old machinery and in many places inadequate guarding, but my wife who is a middle school counselor has a more dangerous job than I do

We need more info though

I see it slightly differently.

Many kids in school come from divorced parents.

Some of those parents do not have custody of the child enrolled at school.

Therefore, if a non-custodial parent shows up to school trying to take their kid, it could be considered kidnapping.

Therefore, the school must intervene.

This exact incident happened when I was teaching at a school about a decade ago.

Father came and got his kid. But, dad had no legal custody of the child.

Cops were called.

If you want to rework child custody, work it through the courts, not the schools.

It's a safety precaution: it prevents non-custodial parents from showing up and kidnapping the child. Which happens frequently.

Which is why schools/society must revamp the "stranger danger" talk.

After all, kids are much more likely to be kidnapped/abused by a family member, family friend, or neighbor than a 'stranger'.

Back