Pantera calls out Kessler, Winky

A good TUNE UP for the big fights for Miranda would be Alejandro Berrio. Crazy arse Columbians with legit power in both hands. The guys would trade knockdowns all night. That fight is more exciting to me than him against Kessler, Winky, or Jermain. Let's be honest... All three of those guys are too technical for him and he would be KOed by two and lose UD by another.

Didn't I mention that fight somwheres? I swear I did. I wouldn't mind seeing Bika in with either of these two as well. They're all defensively vulnerable bangers, and Bika's inhuman toughness makes either of these two have problems.

But yeah, I endorse this fight.

For now, though, Miranda should focus on beating the shit out of Jean. I don't think Jean can hold him off long enough to box for a victory, nor has good enough defense. Unless Pantera tries to out-box him.

I respect Miranda's spirit, but I dont see him beating Kessler or Winky.

Nor Taylor as some have suggested.

If he beat Taylor it'd be on willingness to fight alone. The Taylor that fought Pavlik the second time and perhaps the first has a good chance, the Taylor that fought Spinks and both times against Hopkins doesn't fare well.

Maybe Miranda can get Andre Ward this summer, either way, Miranda deserves another big fight.

Miranda/Taylor anyone?

I would like to see Miranda/Kessler because it would be a great action fight.

This little column by Warriors Boxing Promotion's propaganda columnist may have caught a smile from Kessler as he was surfing the web on his laptop while eating sushi off a naked supermodel and similtaneously getting a b.j. from his hot maid, amidst stacks of Euro bills he earned from the Calzaghe fight scattered about the room.

I hate sushi.

I can't imagine why Kessler wouldn't take this fight, I think he'd win fairly easily. Miranda would kill Pascal (which I would love to see). Miranda and Berrio would not trade knockdowns because Berrio's chin would fail him if a sharp breeze caught it. Miranda and Allan Green would be fun to watch again with no excuses this time, well if anybody can find Green that is.

Maybe Miranda can get Andre Ward this summer, either way, Miranda deserves another big fight.

Miranda/Taylor anyone?

i would hate to see him fight ward. Ward has some serious talent, but hasnt been in with enough big boys to fight miranda. Miranda/taylor though makes my mom wet.

I can't imagine why Kessler wouldn't take this fight, I think he'd win fairly easily. Miranda would kill Pascal (which I would love to see). Miranda and Berrio would not trade knockdowns because Berrio's chin would fail him if a sharp breeze caught it. Miranda and Allan Green would be fun to watch again with no excuses this time, well if anybody can find Green that is.

i agree that kessler takes miranda down with ease. I bet kessler would stop him in 8 or less

I think Miranda is sloppy compared to Kessler. I think Kessler should take this fight; it would be an exiting victory for Mikkel.

i could see Miranda beating Winky....but i think Kessler would KO/TKO him in the first half of the fight

its on!

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=3293638

Miranda, Kessler agree to meet in 168-pound bout
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: March 14, 2008, 2:56 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
LAS VEGAS -- Former super middleweight titleholder Mikkel Kessler and trash-talking, power-punching contender Edison Miranda will meet May 24, multiple sources involved in the fight told ESPN.com on Friday.

The sources said Showtime will air the fight from a site to be determined. One potential venue: Montreal.

The fight matches two of the most charismatic and exciting fighters in the 168-pound division.

Kessler (39-1, 29 KOs), of Denmark, hasn't fought since losing a decisive decision to Joe Calzaghe in their Nov. 3 unification fight in Wales.

The deal was brokered by promoter Lou DiBella, who does not promote either fighter. DiBella had no comment on the deal.

The sources said that one of the stipulations in the agreement, which has been negotiated but is not signed, is that the bout will not take place in Florida, where Miranda promoter Seminole Warriors Boxing is based.

HBO also had shown interest in the fight.

Miranda, notorious for his amusing smack talk, had been putting out statements in recent days, hoping to lure Kessler into the ring.

In one of them, he referred to Kessler as a kitten.

"I'm not surprised 'Kessler the Kitten' disappeared when the big cat came around," Miranda said in one of the statements. "I wish him luck in his future endeavors as a model, actor, race car driver or video game player, because it's obvious that he's no longer a fighter."

Miranda's goading, not to mention a $1 million license fee from Showtime, according to one source, apparently worked.

Kessler, 29, known as "The Viking Warrior," made four defenses of his title, including unifying two belts, before losing to Calzaghe.

Miranda (30-2, 26 KOs), of Colombia, is one of the biggest punchers in the division. The Colombia native's two losses both came at middleweight. He lost a controversial decision in Germany to Arthur Abraham in a 2006 title bout and was stopped by future champion Kelly Pavlik in the seventh round of a May 2007 title eliminator.

After the loss to Pavlik, Miranda, who was struggling to make 160 pounds, moved up to super middleweight and has won two in a row, including a knockout of the year candidate when he dusted David Banks of "The Contender" in the third round on Jan. 11.

Yep, Miranda's trash talk questioning Kessler's manhood got the result he wanted (though the money it'll pay also certainly had something to do with Kessler changing his mind and taking the fight after all.)

I hope Miranda can back it up, and I'll be pullin' for him, but Kessler is not 1-dimensional like Miranda and also Kessler has more skill. I see Miranda initially getting outboxed, but his power and conditioning will eventually tell on Kessler. Miranda by late KO.

Winky is a terrible fight for him and probably would make him look like a barroom brawler.

Kessler by KO. No way Pantera pulls this one off. Kessler is by far the more complete boxer. Pantera gets a puncher's chance and that's it.

damn...thought this was a pantera thread!

a Pantera - Kessler fight would be awesome and it's been near the top of my wish-fights for a while.:icon_chee

Back