Panama Lewis has died

I'd be curious to know what you think of Resto after you watch it.
No offense to the guy, but I remember thinking Resto came off borderline retarded in that doc. The way Lewis manipulated him even decades later when he was confronted was a guy w/ no moral compass. Truly despicable human being. It's a better world w/o Panama Lewis in it.

Yeah he was disappointed in himself too. Its hard to feel too bad for him. Didn't seem like he was there for his family. Kids grew up without him. Very physically fit active guy even in his elderly age. Could of got a normal job and took care of his responsibilities as well. That tells you a lot about "a man" right there.
With that being said. Billy didn't seem like that great of a guy either. Beat the shit out of his wife and friends on the regular. Pretty much kidnapped his "friend" and killed him in the car crash. You didn't see Cotto do any of that after he was beat with plaster wraps....
That's all on Billy....
Luckily his friend survived but he probably had life long injuries from the "accident".

A different friend says that guy in the car (Johnny Dukes) told him after he survived that Billy said he was gonna kill both of them in the crash. Check out the 20:10 mark of the video if you want to watch it.

@WklySportsMemes

Slippin black bottles to the angels now
Rip cheif

watching the docu again, it's not bad.

He was a really solid trainer. Did some bad things sure but you only hear about the ones that get caught... a couple times

A different friend says that guy in the car (Johnny Dukes) told him after he survived that Billy said he was gonna kill both of them in the crash. Check out the 20:10 mark of the video if you want to watch it.

@WklySportsMemes

Just watched the doc. It was good but I'm left in two minds. It was good that Resto got to clear his conscience but I also couldn't help but feel that the program makers were manipulating him for their own ends into 'confessing' all just to make better TV and he seemed like a very easily manipulated individual. But I was left in no doubt that Panama Lewis was a thoroughly despicable person.

Infamous and legendary trainer. Very interesting character. Knew his stuff and was still highly sought after by top pros, even after his ban. He had a lot of dirty old school tricks in his bag. From spiking water bottles with Albutorol pills. To loading fighters gloves with plaster wraps. When he lost has license and could not corner his fighters he would have to get a ticket as a spectator bought for him in his contract. He would then scalp the ticket and go to a bar and watch the fight. Hahahaha. Typical street hustler.
This documentary is a must watch as a boxing fan.

Wow. It's been a while since I watched it, but that is a really moving documentary. Resto is a tortured soul. Lewis was not.

Wow. It's been a while since I watched it, but that is a really moving documentary. Resto is a tortured soul. Lewis was not.
do generals feel any sympathy for the men who's lives they ruin? It's just collateral damage to them. Our leaders fail us, and they never feel any sympathy for it, our bosses use us and abuse us and discard us, they don't lose any sleep. I don't know, i've known some damaged fighters and one guy I know is in prison, i still kick myself over not visiting him but I do believe the trainer he had was at least a little responsible for pushing him into a dark direction, does he lose any sleep? Hell no, they're all assholes.

Its one of the best docs. I liked that at least Resto's one son seemed very successful. I also didn't feel super bad for him because he had the love and support of his sister/mother, ex wife, and both his sons. Seemed like they all went out of their way to take him in at times. Thats a lot to have in life still when you fuck up that bad.

Good. He was a piece of shit.

Just watched the doc. It was good but I'm left in two minds. It was good that Resto got to clear his conscience but I also couldn't help but feel that the program makers were manipulating him for their own ends into 'confessing' all just to make better TV and he seemed like a very easily manipulated individual. But I was left in no doubt that Panama Lewis was a thoroughly despicable person.
definitely, that's how I felt in spite of how good the docu was, i thought the maker, like many docu makers, was too pushy and Resto was like a lot of clueless doc subjects, wide open to exploitation. I'm sensitive to that because my sister was in a docu that i bet at least one person here has seen, it was called Streetwise and it was very exploitive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back