Panama Lewis has died

Seano

Hands of bone
@plutonium
Reaction score
Not the most popular figure in the sports history but still a part of it.

Infamous boxing figure, Panama Lewis has passed away. Lewis was best known for using illegal hand wraps and tampered gloves in which his fighter, Luis Resto, permanently disfigured and blinded Billy Collins Jr. in a June 1983 bout. Collins subsequently committed suicide less than a year after the incident. Panama Lewis was 74.

I saw a documentary on the fighters and panama Lewis, this guy was flat out evil, he ruined both of their lives indirectly
It was almost comical how he came off like a comic book villain, I don’t mean to bash him, I mean he did die, but I thought it was very interesting the way he went about it, as if he wasn’t self aware

I just remember that he was also involved in another conspiracy, he supposedly put something in his fighters drink when he fought Alexus Arguelo, Arguelo uppercut his fighter that nearly took his head off and the fighter kept coming forward, the whole fight was like that
Not sure how Alexis lost but after that fight he turned to drugs

I saw a documentary on the fighters and panama Lewis, this guy was flat out evil, he ruined both of their lives indirectly
It was almost comical how he came off like a comic book villain, I don’t mean to bash him, I mean he did die, but I thought it was very interesting the way he went about it, as if he wasn’t self aware

The Resto documentary was bad. Just the way he talked about fighters, likening them to horses when their hands go.

funny, i was just saying over in the lyle alzado thread that the virtue of kindness is that when bad things happen, people at the very least don't cheer. Alzado made enemies and had no sympathy when he needed it, and Lewis, who ruined careers and lives has none either.

Shit, Bobby Brazil isnt gonna handle that well.
We should probably have Eric Peru give him the bad news.
bobby will take it hard but eric is the real bitch of the bunch, he gives no fucks for anyone but numero uno.

Never heard of him but sounds like a cunt based on the replies. RIP

Never heard of him but sounds like a cunt based on the replies. RIP
Infamous and legendary trainer. Very interesting character. Knew his stuff and was still highly sought after by top pros, even after his ban. He had a lot of dirty old school tricks in his bag. From spiking water bottles with Albutorol pills. To loading fighters gloves with plaster wraps. When he lost has license and could not corner his fighters he would have to get a ticket as a spectator bought for him in his contract. He would then scalp the ticket and go to a bar and watch the fight. Hahahaha. Typical street hustler.
This documentary is a must watch as a boxing fan.

Infamous and legendary trainer. Very interesting character. Knew his stuff and was still highly sought after by top pros, even after his ban. He had a lot of dirty old school tricks in his bag. From spiking water bottles with Albutorol pills. To loading fighters gloves with plaster wraps. When he lost has license and could not corner his fighters he would have to get a ticket as a spectator bought for him in his contract. He would then scalp the ticket and go to a bar and watch the fight. Hahahaha. Typical street hustler.

cheers dude, I’ll have a little watch now

Damn the confrontation at the end was heavy

Back