1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Paleo Dieting

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by wenispinkle, Aug 1, 2005.

1. wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

another word of advice for people starting this diet-

take it easy on the fucking nuts. i was eating those mother fuckers alot and just recently found out just how many kcals i was getting from the fats. as healthy as the fats are, thats still a shit load of calories from nuts. keep them very limited...i will be keeping them out of the house from now on

2. Bubble Boy Black Belt

The whole premise of this diet seems right on target to me: 10,000 years ago, after years of evolution we would have been grubbing around eating nuts, fruits, leafy vegetables, roots, bird eggs, game meat (which is hyper-lean), and the such. We've evolved that way. It simply can't get any healthier. Hey wenispinkle, how about a good paleo link bro?

3. wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

sure....

for people starting - http://www.healingcrow.com/dietsmain/paleo/paleo.html

general information - www.thepaleodiet.com

recipes - www.paleofood.com

side note - bubble boy, might be a little late and youve probably made even more progress, but very nice work with your training

4. johnnynoname Banned Banned

i agree.

I stay away from the nuts (hahaha). I opt for a level table spoon of nature peanut butter with each of my six meals

5. sambo fighter Green Belt

I cant remember. Whats so good about peanut butter again?

6. Bubble Boy Black Belt

Aw shucks...

Thanks, my diet is the only thing really holding me up still. That's why I'm here. I've always been intrigued by the "cave man" diet. Thanks for the links.

Hey, have you ever heard of the "Okinawa Program"? It's a diet based on the Okinawains who live forever. It has a lot in common with the Paleo Diet.

7. spiff1242 White Belt

Yea, nuts are a really dense source of calories. Unfortunately they make me break out which makes it hard for me because I'm doing the paleo diet but trying to Gain weight at the same time. I can go through like 2 pounds of chicken, a can of coconut milk, and veggies in a day and just barely gain any weight. It's tough to keep this up every day.

On a side note, if you do eat some nuts, walnuts are your best option because they have a very good omega3-omega6 ratio. Flax seeds, too.

I guess the diet I'm on isn't technically called the paleo diet. I'm following the nutrition plan laid out at http://www.mercola.com which draws very heavily on paleo research. It has a really cool 3 level plan laid out for free that I found helps you to ease into the new diet nicely.

8. wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

no ive never heard of that. whats it about?

9. sambo fighter Green Belt

Do I smell a new thread?

10. wenispinkle Skankin' It Easy...

if your trying to gain weight, you may want to consider eating alot more red meat like beef, because it contains more fat in is therefore more caloric dense.

yeah walnuts are the best kinds of nuts to eat their ratio is like 1:6, cashews are up there too but not as good theyre like 1:24...almonds only have like small traces of omega 3s, their ratios are like indistinguishable (sp?)

11. Coleman White Belt

I'm in the process of changing my diet to something that is a lot healthier. I like the idea of the warrior diet and also the paleo diet. I calculated that I'm going to need about 2400 calories per day. The BMR for someone my age, height and weight is around 1800 calories and I used a 1.35 correction factor because I'm moderately active (office all day but train 5 times a week in the evening).

I plan on eating around 600 calories during the day which will consist of veggies, salad and trail mix. In the evening, I'll eat my remaining 1800 calories over the time period from 8-11. These numbers won't be exact obviously, just close to that.

I just have one question. Are SOME carbs okay? I eat what my mom cooks me and she makes potatoes and pasta quite often. I'll definately try to limit these and have whole grain pasta instead of white but I can't eliminate them completely.

What do you guys think? Will this work? I'm not trying really to lose weight. I have about 5 lbs of fat that I wouldn't mind dropping. I'm just trying to find a healthier way to eat and not continue to gain anymore weight at my office job.

12. spiff1242 White Belt

Hey Coleman, to answer your question, Yes, carbs are ok, but no, grains are not, for this diet. I think that's the biggest and most overlooked part of this diet and that separates it from Atkins. Atkins is about lowering Total carbs, Paleo more about getting your carbs only from natural sources ie veggies and fruits. Unfortunately pasta and potatoes (which digest as fast as grains rather than slower digesting veggies) both won't be the best way to your weight goals. Whole grains will help a bit. But try to take as little pasta and more of the other foods.

Here's a great idea that you could try, though. Go out and buy a Spaghetti Squash for you mom. Stick it in a baking pan cut in half, open side down, with some water and bake it at like 300 for a couple hours (or boil in a pot for 20 or so minutes). Then scrape the flesh out with a fork. Instant spaghetti. Throw some butter and spices in and you're in for a treat. You can also make really great imitation rice or mashed potatoes with grated cauliflower. I'll let you look up recipes for those if you're interested.

Cut out the grains and you'll lose the 5 in no time. Heck, I've lost 5 pounds eating meat, eggs, and veggies till I fall over in the last few weeks. That's why I've been asking questions on how to stay on this diet and put some weight ON! My energy is through the roof, and as a side bonus of cutting out grains, I'm completely off all the acne medication I've needed for years. I can't say enough about this diet and I've only been on it a couple weeks.

13. 007 License to Kill

Looks good, I will be taking some of this for myself, thanks