Paleo Dieting

wenispinkle

Skankin' It Easy...
@Green
Reaction score
this thread is started by request.

the paleo diet, essentially, consists of eating only lean meats, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.

all dairy, grains, cereals, processed foods, sugar, and starch are eliminated. the most controversial group eliminated in my experience would have to be dairy. many people still include dairy if they simply cannot let it go....the main problem with dairy is the high saturated fat content, which can be avoided by buying non-fat milk. milk is still slightly high in sugar however.

the diet works, basically, just because your eating clean as all hell. i doubt there is any cleaner way to be eating. you eat absolutely zero refined carbs and sugars which can cause blood insulin to spike, and replace them with fruit and vegetables, in which the carbohydrates cause slow gradual rises in blood sugar and are therefore not damaging.

ever meal includes some kind of lean meat, including lobster, shellfish, tuna,turkey, chicken breast, organ meats and various different kinds of wild game. meats you need to eliminate are the horribly fatty ones like hot dogs, pork chops, ham etc.

fats come from the meat,nuts, and various different kinds of oils such as flaxseed,canola, and olive, all bad fats are eliminated....

all vegetables are allowed with the exceptions of potatoes, which are very starchy and can cause blood sugar levels to spike.

so far ive been eating this way for awhile. i try different diets, such as the warrior diet, and manipulate macronutrient breakdowns and such, but the food choices never really change.

Thanks for the info. From what I read about it you can eat some fatty meats as well.

Do you feel this diet is effective for fat loss while still maintaining lean body mass?

How well do you think this diet works in terms of athletic preformance?

And lastly if you can, could you give an example of what you eat and when on an average day?

This is the diet of the past and future.. Organic foods are making a strong come back.

Eating raw, is the way to go.

sambo fighter said:
Thanks for the info. From what I read about it you can eat some fatty meats as well.

Do you feel this diet is effective for fat loss while still maintaining lean body mass?

How well do you think this diet works in terms of athletic preformance?

And lastly if you can, could you give an example of what you eat and when on an average day?

your welcome.

yes i do feel this diet is very effective for fat loss. if you want to maintain your lean body mass and lose fat, you would probably just up your protein intake and take in carbs only in specific times such as the morning and post workout. like i said, you can just manipulate the macronutrient for your goals. this is very easy, since lean meat is almost all protein, fruit is mostly carbs, and oils and nuts are mostly fats.

i also think it would do very well for you athletic-wise, as long as you were getting in enough carbs and post-workout nutrition.

my average day looks like:

meal 1 : some kind of protein, be it meat or eggs. i try to restrict eggs a little, about 7 or so a week. lots of fruit for carbs in the morning.

meal 2: handful of nuts for a snack

meal 3: 2 cans tuna, with olive oil and spices, 1 piece fruit or vegetables

meal 4: post-workout nutrition, whey shake (only dairy i eat), fruit for carbs

meal 5: couple chicken breasts, nuts, fish and flax oil.

thats basically what a day looks like to me

in regards to the meat, heres the full list of "lean" meats :

turkey breats, shrimp, orange roughy, pollock, lobster, snapper, crab, crab legs, buffalo roast, mackerel, venison, halibut, beef sweetbreads, clams, pork tenderloin, beef heart, tuna, veal steak, beef steak, chicken livers, chicken breasts, beef liver, beef flank steak, salmon, mussels

i have been following paleo for 3 month and the results are really good.
this diet is the way to go. i still eat oat meal everynow and then in the mornings but other then that i elminated all grains from my diet.

my daily meals are:

breakfast: 1 whole egg+3 egg whites, salad,apple and almonds

lunch: a big salad with about 200-250 grams of slices of chicken breast,apple.

dinner, cooked veggies,250 grams of salamon, apple.

for me , a combination of the paleo dieting and the warrior diet is working gooooooooooood

I've actually been reading a lot on this diet recently. Wenisprinkle described it very well. I just wanted to add a couple things.

First, you should try to make sure that the meats that you eat are fed Natural Diets as well. The industry has switched most livestock over to unnatural grain feed because it's cheaper and is probably the largest reason why fatty red meats, eggs, etc have been listed as so unhealthy. While you cut out grains in the paleo diet, you still don't get all the benefits if you continue to eat animals fed on grains. To illustrate the huge difference this makes: Ideally, our diets should have a 1:1 ratio of Omega3-Omega6. Most Americans have way too much Omega6 resulting in our rampant levels of cardiovascular disease. Organic grassfed beef and organic eggs have around a 1:1-1:4 ratio of 3 to6. Now here's the kicker, grain fed beef and eggs have about a 1:20-1:25 ratio! Even if you have absolutely no interest in this diet, this is something Everyone can do to greatly increase their health.

My second point relates to the first in that while some Paleo diet researchers promote low fat, if you get your fat from naturally fed sources you can eat as much as you want without fear of falling dead from a heart attack. Think about eskimos that eat animals that are like pure blubber and almost no fruits, veggies, or grains. These are some of the heartiest people in the world. For more on fats, check out this article:
http://www.mercola.com/2002/aug/17/saturated_fat1.htm

spiff1242 said:
To illustrate the huge difference this makes: Ideally, our diets should have a 1:1 ratio of Omega3-Omega6. Most Americans have way too much Omega6 resulting in our rampant levels of cardiovascular disease. Organic grassfed beef and organic eggs have around a 1:1-1:4 ratio of 3 to6. Now here's the kicker, grain fed beef and eggs have about a 1:20-1:25 ratio! [/url]

I agree with everything in your post except the 1:1 ratio. I know it's theorized that we evolved with a diet yielding this ratio, but I have read at the American Society for Nutritional Sciences and in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that a 1:3 ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6&9's is optimal.

An asterisk here is that I don't know if that was simply the minimum to be in the optimal range or the target itself. Perhaps 1:1 is actually better but nutritionists realize it's unrealistic to expect people to get that amount.

Anyone know for sure?

Madmick said:
I agree with everything in your post except the 1:1 ratio. I know it's theorized that we evolved with a diet yielding this ratio, but I have read at the American Society for Nutritional Sciences and in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition that a 1:3 ratio of Omega 3's to Omega 6&9's is optimal.

An asterisk here is that I don't know if that was simply the minimum to be in the optimal range or the target itself. Perhaps 1:1 is actually better but nutritionists realize it's unrealistic to expect people to get that amount.

Anyone know for sure?

I agree, I always see that ratio of 1:1, and it always says it has been conjectured, or theorized like you said, but it never says who theorized it.

Anyways, I would say that is probably impracticle for the majority of people to aim for, but it could be attained if that was one's goal, but anything under 4:1 is a good start.

BTW, here is a good page with tons of info on omega-3 and omega 6, from wikipedia. For anyone interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-3

Also, I am surprised this thread hasnt turned into a flame war, like the last paleo diet thread. Where did all the detractors go?

Yea, I'm not exactly sure what the exact optimal is, but most commercial foodstuff is way to high on the Omega6 and any effort to bring that down is gonna do you a lot of good.

I'm really liking this diet so far, but I'm finding it a bit tough to keep the weight on. I'm going through big packs of chicken thighs and ordering pounds of grass fed beef just to stay even. Can't say I'm not enjoying eating all of it, but it's a bit more expensive and time consuming than pouring some cereal or making pasta.

I am, however, looking for suggestions on what I can quickly make to bring to work for lunch with lots of good protein/fat. I tried doing nuts but I'm slightly allergic and they may me break out like crazy.

spiff1242 said:
Yea, I'm not exactly sure what the exact optimal is, but most commercial foodstuff is way to high on the Omega6 and any effort to bring that down is gonna do you a lot of good.

I'm really liking this diet so far, but I'm finding it a bit tough to keep the weight on. I'm going through big packs of chicken thighs and ordering pounds of grass fed beef just to stay even. Can't say I'm not enjoying eating all of it, but it's a bit more expensive and time consuming than pouring some cereal or making pasta.

I am, however, looking for suggestions on what I can quickly make to bring to work for lunch with lots of good protein/fat. I tried doing nuts but I'm slightly allergic and they may me break out like crazy.

Are you taking in enough fatty vegetables? Stuff like avocadoes and olives? If you really want to up your intake, start buying some coconuts. Yeah, on paper it might look like the worst food in the world, but those dudes on the equator live on tropical oils and they're jacked. So my belief is coconuts - McDonalds= good for you.

Besides, I think coconuts are rich in MCT.

BoxingFanNoMore said:
Also, I am surprised this thread hasnt turned into a flame war, like the last paleo diet thread. Where did all the detractors go?

Shit, BoxingFan, you know the answer to that.

Knock on wood.

good protein+fat meal....

2 cans tuna dressed with olive oil and spices

Madmick said:
Are you taking in enough fatty vegetables? Stuff like avocadoes and olives? If you really want to up your intake, start buying some coconuts. Yeah, on paper it might look like the worst food in the world, but those dudes on the equator live on tropical oils and they're jacked. So my belief is coconuts - McDonalds= good for you.

Besides, I think coconuts are rich in MCT.

totally agree with the on-paper thing. nuts are another thing that look absolutely fucking horrible with the nutrition facts but are healthful

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'll have to get a bag of avacados. I already got tons of tuna. I really do like coconuts, I just find them ridiculously hard to get the meat out. Gotta smash the darn thing up and it always takes me like half an hour of scraping to get all the meat out. Maybe I'll get some of those sugar free coconut flakes from tropical traditions so I can just take a scoop to lunch every day.

Everytime I eat nuts or a trail mix, I always get this sharp internal AB pain.. like my body is tellling me HELLO i cant digest this stuff. maybe its the dryness of it. Anyone else experience the same?

it sounds like a variation of the diet i use called the "rocky IV" diet.
basically consists of six meal, eaten every 2-3 hours.
Each meal consists of
1-2 servings of lean protein
1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter
-unlimited vegetables

it's with this diet and HIIT cardio that helped me achieve a 5% BF in 12 weeks

spiff1242 said:
First, you should try to make sure that the meats that you eat are fed Natural Diets as well. The industry has switched most livestock over to unnatural grain feed because it's cheaper and is probably the largest reason why fatty red meats, eggs, etc have been listed as so unhealthy. While you cut out grains in the paleo diet, you still don't get all the benefits if you continue to eat animals fed on grains. To illustrate the huge difference this makes: Ideally, our diets should have a 1:1 ratio of Omega3-Omega6. Most Americans have way too much Omega6 resulting in our rampant levels of cardiovascular disease. Organic grassfed beef and organic eggs have around a 1:1-1:4 ratio of 3 to6. Now here's the kicker, grain fed beef and eggs have about a 1:20-1:25 ratio! Even if you have absolutely no interest in this diet, this is something Everyone can do to greatly increase their health.

www.themeatrix.com

hehehe....disturbing, informative, and hilarious all at the same time

toufeksian said:
for me , a combination of the paleo dieting and the warrior diet is working gooooooooooood

i tried it and it was virtually impossible to get the protein i needed....

Back