Paige Vanzant: Possible Title Shot next?

If I falsely came to the conclusion that you were evaluating Eye as worthy of being a flyweight title contender based on her losing streak at bantamweight, I apologize. But it seemed to me, from your...
"dana said jessica eye was up next for 125 title shot... can you believe this crap??"
...followed by you bringing up her bantamweight record, that that was exactly what you were doing.
prehaps crap wasnt the right word. i'll agree.. maybe madness was what i was looking for.

thats not to say she does deserve it. i think she needs another 1, but who else?? i also think 2 out of the 3 wins to her recent 125 run were gifts. at leat jojo has been convincingly winning.. i duno. pitting those 2 would be a decent matchup to determine the next challenger

EDIT: i remember why i said crap... the situation is crap. 3 mediocre wins, 2 gift decisons, and this warrants a title shot... does she deserve it? meh, possibly.. but its one of the few they have to work with... when u see guys on 10 fight win streaks, putting exciting fights, finishing opponents, not getting shots it makes u want to say crap

PVZ isn't ready for a title shot but there's decent fights for her. Don't know upcoming schedules. Viewing it from the 'winner fights winner' perspective maybe Yanan Wu, Mayra Bueno Silva or Montana Stewart.

Eye seems a logical choice for a title shot. Shevchenko says she wants to stay active & Eye wants it. Maybe there's a few others but looking at top ten there's drawbacks to some of the others.

So many variables at play like injuries, preparedness etc. so no need to trip too much on who should fight who. Keep moving the divisions along.

AAuE7mDaZV0RTALrsolijo_tfHdEhSeGWCOJi56xxQ=s900-mo-c-c0xffffffff-rj-k-no

will be interesting

pvz was actually at 15th (she entered the rankings in between updates after Jennifer Maia's removal for her USADA violation), i can see her moving to 14th and jumping ahead of Montana De La Rosa (Stewart) but hard to justify moving her any higher than that

Will be very interesting what they do with Lipski, similar situation to Maia, wherein she was highly ranked prior to joining the UFC so even losing her first fight (like Maia) she could well drop into the rankings (Maia was ranked 13th even after losing her debut)

but, of course, the journalists that do the rankings are largely morons so expect Calderwood to drop to 12th and PVZ to enter the top 5

Calderwood being one of only two 3-0 fighters in the division should really be ranked top five now, especially as she beat the girl that most had as a top 5 flyweight (which in retrospect was very generous)

Yeah, always interesting.

Here's a UFC women's flyweight rankings that's updated since Saturday.

http://rankingmma.com/ufc-rankings/womens-flyweight/

It has Maia 10, JoJo 11, PVZ 13, Stewart 21 & Lipski 22.

Rankings trigger some folks to go ballistic so let the good times roll.

Last edited:
will be interesting

pvz was actually at 15th (she entered the rankings in between updates after Jennifer Maia's removal for her USADA violation), i can see her moving to 14th and jumping ahead of Montana De La Rosa (Stewart) but hard to justify moving her any higher than that

Will be very interesting what they do with Lipski, similar situation to Maia, wherein she was highly ranked prior to joining the UFC so even losing her first fight (like Maia) she could well drop into the rankings (Maia was ranked 13th even after losing her debut)

but, of course, the journalists that do the rankings are largely morons so expect Calderwood to drop to 12th and PVZ to enter the top 5

Calderwood being one of only two 3-0 fighters in the division should really be ranked top five now, especially as she beat the girl that most had as a top 5 flyweight (which in retrospect was very generous)
Have you seen Christoffer Esping's rankings? They have to be the worst, guy is a complete fucking clown look at his p4p and lw rankings, biggest Conor dickrider I've ever seen.

Yeah, always interesting.

Here's a UFC women's flyweight rankings that's updated since Saturday.

http://rankingmma.com/ufc-rankings/womens-flyweight/

It has Maia 10, JoJo 11, PVZ 13, Stewart 21 & Lipski 22.

Rankings trigger some folks to go ballistic so let the good times roll.
im a big fan of fightmatrix.. at the very least theyre super consistent and extremely apparent in what they do.. its pretty fair also. they include entire mma record but emphasize latest fights and values it with the opponent they face. the most difficult part for most rankers is guys who are undefeated/good streaks, but havent faced someone in the top rankings. like how do u rank someone like that...

anyway, their algorithm, ranks, and whole website might be the best

Paige wasn't so ambitious as to speak of title shots talking to Helwani, just said she'd like to fight anybody in the top 15 of the division.

Oh, and she also said she was going to get filmed as a guest on an episode of "Ridiculousness" later this month.

but, of course, the journalists that do the rankings are largely morons so expect Calderwood to drop to 12th and PVZ to enter the top 5.

I know that’s hyperbole for humor’s sake, but I’m thinking it might actually be something along those lines, but with PVZ and Jojo being closer together on the list.

Will be very interesting what they do with Lipski
Yeah. I guess it depends on how they rank Calderwood. I’m actually not sure where I’d rank Lipski either.

If her first win since 2016 against a .500 fighter gets her a shot, womens flyweight is a bigger joke than I thought. <Lmaoo>

Can you imagine the kind of beating Valentina would lay on this girl?

Book it Shelby

I'd like her to get a shot because I don't care for her and I'd love to see Call make a fool of her.

Calderwood 7th, Pvz drops in at 15th

Jojo will probably jump a bit more next week once late submitters get in

Screenshot_20190122-143237.png

PVZ is a really good top position grappler. I think she should add any takedown other than that dumb headlock into her toolkit
If she tries that throw against Shevechenko she's going to get barbarian bitch tossed across the octagon.

Back