• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Paddy Pimblett vs Tony Ferguson set for UFC 296 on Dec 16

Who Wins?

• Total voters
My first reaction to this (just heard about it), without time to process it:

Fascinating matchmaking, in my opinion. If Tony must fight, at least show him some respect by giving him a big name. But at the same time, don't give him a big name that can royally fuck him up. I like this. Will tune in for sure.

Oh god, I hope Tony wins this one. If he can finish Paddy, this fight will be one of his greatest.

Wish we could get two separate polls side by side. Who will win and who will you be rooting for.

Paddy will smash Tony easily
Tony is LONG past his sell by date and is only getting worse

Paddy appears to be staying in much better shape and showing more discipline. I honestly think he will win and pretty handidly

So much indignant outrage in this thread. I imagine you all want to see him fighting Jim Miller in a Why are Either of these Guys Even Here match.

Who do you think Ferguson should be matched up with? If he still has fights on his contract you have to keep giving him fights unless they cut him or he fails his medicals. And let’s be honest if they cut him he’d just pop up in a regional promotion making way less money because he’s convinced he can still be champion. They’re basically doing him a favor.
He should have been cut already, but since he isn't he should be matched up with Jim Miller for UFC 300, yes I know Miller is on a streak but he is closer to age with Tony so it would be a more fair fight, even thought Paddy doesn't move his fucking head, he is still gonna have the speed, reflexes and chin of someone 10 years younger than Tony.

Yeah I know Tony is washed, but this is a MASSIVE step down for him. He is going to win this fight. Paddy is a complete bum.

If he manages to keep it on the feet, he has a small chance, sure. Oliveira was perceived as a step down after Gaethje. Dariush was perceived as a step down after Oliveira. Chandler was arguably perceived as a step down after Dariush. Nate was a MASSIVE step down after Chandler and yet resulted in Tony's worst performance. Then another step down with past-prime Bobby Green and Tony still gets outstruck, loses the scrambles, and hands Bobby his first sub win in forever.

So yes, Tony certainly has a non-zero chance of winning on the feet, but Paddy would be a rightful favorite IMO. Steps down in competition haven't seemed to do anything to halt the momentum of Ferguson's downward slide.

Tony is a bad match-up for Paddy. Weird fight to make imo. Maybe they will have Tony take another dive like he did against Nate.

That was not Tony taking a dive. That was him getting beaten up on the feet, being visibly uncomfortable, and diving into a guillotine to try and relieve some of Nate's striking pressure. Business-wise it wouldn't even make sense for the UFC to try and boost Nate's stock, anyway.

I don't really think Tony is a really bad match-up for Paddy at this point, either.

No way Tony loses this. He's had great-looking rounds and moments in his losing streak. I'm surprised the UFC is doing this after how incompetent Paddy looked last time out.

"No way"?

Yeah Tony's had a few good moments during his skid like I said before, but I feel this is overstating it a bit. If he goes to the mat with Paddy it only ends one way. And his TDD and get-ups haven't looked very good in years. Striking it's a bit of a wash; Tony is better when he's on-point but he also doesn't absorb damage as well as he used to. I would probably edge the stand-up to Ferguson, but it's worth remembering that youth, aggression, and durability have their advantages... not to mention the takedown threat.

So much indignant outrage in this thread. I imagine you all want to see him fighting Jim Miller in a Why are Either of these Guys Even Here match.

It would be way more fitting. Paddy has arguably already competed beyond the level of competition represented by current Ferguson. It looks like a blatant lay-up, which a lot of fans are never fond of.

And there's nothing wrong with legacy match-ups; the UFC has done them on multiple occasions. Miller has been beating dudes lately so the "Why he's here" should be pretty self-evident IMO. Jim is a potential future Hall-of-Famer who has politely requested to fight another vet at UFC 300... giving him another future HoF dude who has fallen out of the rankings is not exactly crazy talk.

Last edited:
This is the best fight in the UFC that Tony could get at this point unless he fights like a 135r or something. Hopefully if he loses it's a sub.

UFC is in a tough spot with these guys. If they cut them they'll keep fighting anyways. Ultimately it's on Tony to know when to call it a day.

I do think it was dumb to give him Chandler and other hard fights post Gathje.

He should have been cut already, but since he isn't he should be matched up with Jim Miller for UFC 300, yes I know Miller is on a streak but he is closer to age with Tony so it would be a more fair fight, even thought Paddy doesn't move his fucking head, he is still gonna have the speed, reflexes and chin of someone 10 years younger than Tony.

Tony isn’t going to quit fighting. Would you rather see him fighting on some small regional show for 1/10 of the money?

Prolly the best way to get Paddy to enter the rankings.

That being said, I'm not even confident he wins this one but Tony has looked horrendous in his last few fights so...
Tony is ranked 37. Paddy is ranked 26. Beating either of these guys doesn’t get you into the top 15. That’s why it would be a catastrophe if Paddy loses to r37 Tony.

The only question I have is does Tony get cut with a loss? He probably gets paid well. And there’s nobody else that Tony could put over by losing. This fight is a sham in that regard. I think it’s Tony’s last UFC fight if he loses. Maybe even if he wins. Nobody saw the crash and burn that Tony has done after winning 12 in a row coming before the Justin fight.

IF (big if) the Tony from round 1 vs Chandler shows up. He could win. But I don’t expect that to happen.

I haven't been keeping up, but has Paddy beaten anyone of note yet? I remember when he first got some buzz for trying to act like Conor, but his resume was that of can crusher.

Tony isn’t going to quit fighting. Would you rather see him fighting on some small regional show for 1/10 of the money?
Yes, at least he wouldn't be fighting elite competition.

I haven't been keeping up, but has Paddy beaten anyone of note yet? I remember when he first got some buzz for trying to act like Conor, but his resume was that of can crusher.
El Cucan.

Back