Padded fingerless gloves vs. traditional boxing gloves

Vitor12

White Belt
Reaction score
What would be better for me to use on a heavy punching bag? The traditional boxing gloves or those fingerless mma-style gloves? Thanks.

For heavybag training, definitely go with traditional bag gloves. Think about it:

1) During the course of a workout you'll throw 1,000 punches, easy.
2) You don't want to injure your hands, because then you can't train.

With that in mind, here's a pop quiz:

"How much foam do I want protecting my hands?"

a) 12oz of 2.5" thick foam
b) 4 oz of 1/2" thick foam

If you chose answer a, congratulations! You have common sense and respect for the health of your fighting tools, a very rare combination that will serve you well. :D

Now, doing work on the double-end bag or focus mitts with MMA gloves might not be a terrible idea. But heavy bag work can be really punishing. Protect your tools the best you can.

CHawkins is right, holmes.

The more protection, the better

I use the fingerless Harbinger gloves:

B00070F9S6.01-A2QUBZRFQD7A2Q._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I've used them regularly for the past three years or so, and have zero injuries or complaints. This after switching from traditional bag gloves.

But to each his own. Use whatever suits you.

if u hit a swinging heavy bag with bad timing and mma gloves u can seriously jack up your wrists

If using fingerless gloves, make sure you wrap those hands (especially the wrists) nice and tight.

Why gamble with fingerless gloves? They make you look "cool" or something? Be safe and smart and go with teh traditional Gloves. Plus if your boxing train with boxing gloves so you dont feel weird when you put on gloves.

ghost_monk said:
if u hit a swinging heavy bag with bad timing and mma gloves u can seriously jack up your wrists
Yep...hurts.
Use boxing gloves. Some tight 10 oz. Cleto's are best.

I just wrap my hands and use normal bag gloves. They have no padding. Just the ones that cover your hands. I also have 14oz gloves that i may use tomorrow b/c i have never used them on the bag.

if you can hit a bag with bag gloves, then you aren't punching hard enough

advice: get boxing gloves

Fzubek said:
Why gamble with fingerless gloves? They make you look "cool" or something? Be safe and smart and go with teh traditional Gloves. Plus if your boxing train with boxing gloves so you dont feel weird when you put on gloves.

I personally use the fingerless gloves because I can make a better fist; I used to use teh traditional gloves, didn't care for them. And I've not hurt my hands once. Though if you're a pure boxer than I think your rationale makes perfect sense.

Gregster said:
I personally use the fingerless gloves because I can make a better fist; I used to use teh traditional gloves, didn't care for them. And I've not hurt my hands once. Though if you're a pure boxer than I think your rationale makes perfect sense.

the only reason i would suggest a fingerless glove is if the guy wants to work with high precision or accuracy, such as w/ a B.O.B maniquin or focus mitts. but that's a really useless reason, b/c you can already work w/ those w/ gloves or bare hands. i have bag gloves, but i use them (ouano brand) in MMA sparring b/c they're cheaper than the official UFC gloves, which are the same thing except with no palm and slightly less padding.

always go with boxing gloves when training on the heavybag, not just to protect yourself, but to its more grueling using bigger gloves, thus giving you more of a workout....

AxeGrinder said:
always go with boxing gloves when training on the heavybag, not just to protect yourself, but to its more grueling using bigger gloves, thus giving you more of a workout....

Couldnt be more true.
You will really see a difference, get those arms burning

I use Ringside "Super" Bag Gloves. They're practically the size of my 16 oz. sparring gloves. But they give great hand and shoulder protection. Plus they give me a better workout. But I do also use these really thin slip on bag gloves by ringside as well. The palm is open and padding is maybe 3/4" thick. I like those for pad work.

i like the mma gloves because because they're lightweight, but definitely not good for the wrists. Gotta wrap the hands up nice and tight. My problem, though, is the fact that I take the skin off all of my knuckles where the fingers are exposed.

Wouldn't boxing gloves also give you that added weight which will strengthen you in the long run and keep your hands up to protect you from the evil gingivitis aka the right hook taking your teeth out?

Honestly I don't even know how you guys can hit the bag with mma gloves. Do you not hit hard? I need to use at least 14 oz gloves.

Well its a question of what your training for. When grappeling and jiu jitsu training and following up with bag work..I would def use a thick mma glove such as the primetime glove (built up moreon the knuckles). But i do agree if training kickboxing and Thai boxing its 16 oz gloves all the way

Back