Owning a home is expensive.....

In the span of 3 months, I have spent close to $90K repairing and/or remodeling my home.
Jesus! That must be a huge house or some major repairs. I own 3 houses (2 being rented out) and I think $90K is the most I've spent in the past 4 years.
What started off as changing a broken sink in the kitchen spawned into a complete remodeling of the entire ground floor.
aaawww!! that'll do it.
The primary issue is that my house was built in the 70s, and all the plumbing and electrical wiring is janky - by the time the extent of the damage was known (and my walls were torn apart), I said fuck it and decided to renovate from the ground up (changing all the flooring, appliances, cabinets etc.). That was about $70K in total - a reasonable sum considering the scale of the renovation.
hmmmm, I would have gotten a second opinion before I went all out like that.
Unexpectedly, I had to do a major roof repair and replace the fence in my backyard.......then property taxes came due - in total, I was out another $20K.
Did a recent roof repair. yeah them things are expensive.
The silver lining is that my fridge makes ice now. I've always wanted that.
hahaha! Those things are nice.

Hold up in the USA you get taxed every year to own a house?! Even if you own it out right?

This is on top of your bank mortgage as well?
Yes, but some mortgages can add taxes & insurance to them.
Also get taxed yearly on your rides. If you don't pay taxes on the car, truck, motorcycle, etc. - they can't be legally driven.

In the span of 3 months, I have spent close to $90K repairing and/or remodeling my home.

What started off as changing a broken sink in the kitchen spawned into a complete remodeling of the entire ground floor. The primary issue is that my house was built in the 70s, and all the plumbing and electrical wiring is janky - by the time the extent of the damage was known (and my walls were torn apart), I said fuck it and decided to renovate from the ground up (changing all the flooring, appliances, cabinets etc.). That was about $70K in total - a reasonable sum considering the scale of the renovation.

Unexpectedly, I had to do a major roof repair and replace the fence in my backyard.......then property taxes came due - in total, I was out another $20K.

Boiiiii,
stickers-sticker-gif.gif

IT'S THE ORDER!!!

Pay your property tax in silence bitch...your gov has stupid liberal programs, rainbow murals, and zelensky's wife's bugatti to pay for. You selfish prick.
And you have bad Russian propaganda to fall for.

We all got things to do.

We just did a $160k remodel which was all new floors, trim, gutting kitchen + 2 bathrooms, etc. You'll always run into nickel and dime issues with electric, plumbing, HVAC relocation, etc. Long term, it's still worth it for us. The house will appraise for more than we have into it for sure. Also, rent is absurdly expensive around here. My employee is buying a shithole for a rental that she's going to be able to rent for 2x as much as mortgage payment + taxes + insurance. I can't believe what some people will pay. If you have a fenced in yard, it's like gold to renters despite the house falling in.

A lot of people have time that is worth a lot more than a few laborers...
Lol at thinking your time is worth more than anyone else's. Probably also complain about the price a competent tradesman charges, thinking they're just "laborers"

Also sounds like an excuse that someone that doesn't know how to do something says.

*Mancard Revoked*
{<redford}

Lol at thinking your time is worth more than anyone else's. Probably also complain about the price a competent tradesman charges, thinking they're just "laborers"

Also sounds like an excuse that someone that doesn't know how to do something says.

*Mancard Revoked*
{<redford}

It clearly is worth more based on how much more money someone makes. Do you think rich people are doing all of their renovations themselves? Time is incredibly value - especially for business owners with kids. When I had more time I've done things like flooring, trim work, changing out light fixtures/fans, etc, but there is no way I'm going to waste my time on that anymore. I can make a lot more money being at the office and value my time way more than that. Things I enjoy doing like mowing the lawn, yardwork, maintaining the pool, etc. I'll continue with, but I don't find any of that other shit enjoyable. There is a reason a lot of construction workers are miserable.

Inb4 the ice maker stops working

A lot of people have time that is worth a lot more than a few laborers...

Tradies are expensive AF, and in short supply these days. If you really drill down to the core the reason, you likely hire them because you don't have the knowledge to do X, Y and Z and can't be bothered making the mental effort to acquire that knowledge. For example the ice maker breaks, the appliance repair guy quotes you $600 for the repair, or you look up a video and repair it yourself for under $200. Unless you're making like $400 an hour there's no way the repairman is the way to go. In many circumstances the tradie is the dumb move but people pay extra because they're confused and willing to pay extra for convenience.

Inb4 the ice maker stops working

Tradies are expensive AF, and in short supply these days. If you really drill down to the core the reason, you likely hire them because you don't have the knowledge to do X, Y and Z and can't be bothered making the mental effort to acquire that knowledge. For example the ice maker breaks, the appliance repair guy quotes you $600 for the repair, or you look up a video and repair it yourself for under $200. Unless you're making like $400 an hour there's no way the repairman is the way to go. In many circumstances the tradie is the dumb move but people pay extra because they're confused and willing to pay extra for convenience.
pQz1wbU.gif

Wife grew up in a "turn of the century" house so she loves older classic homes...

So we bought and currently live in a house built in 1889.

Fucking pain in the ass whenever shit needs to be repaired. I would not recommend it. It is a good looking house, and the income from our apartment over the garage is a lifesaver.

But after this, fuck older homes.
If I don't leave this place feet first, I will be moving to someplace hopefully newer (where it doesnt snow ) and not in need of any major upkeep.

Yeah fam plus di salary fi ur staff fam ting add up gotta pay registration on mi Bentley dis month too 🤦 dem Nickal n dime add up my guy real talks 💸🗣️📠

What started off as changing a broken sink in the kitchen spawned into a complete remodeling of the entire ground floor. The primary issue is that my house was built in the 70s, and all the plumbing and electrical wiring is janky - by the time the extent of the damage was known (and my walls were torn apart), I said fuck it and decided to renovate from the ground up (changing all the flooring, appliances, cabinets etc.). That was about $70K in total - a reasonable sum considering the scale of the renovation.

I've been a homeowner in Canada for over a decade.

In my first home, we re-did the kitchen, put in a bathroom in the basement, and re-did another bathroom upstairs.

In my second home, we put in built in cabinets in the living room, a deck extension and an above ground pool. I also had to replace my AC.

Across both homes over 10 years, I have spent probably <$90,000 total.

Back