Overtraining?

Klainis

White Belt
Reaction score
I started a 5x5 routine about 4-5 weeks ago. I had no one to teach me the lifts so when I started I had horrible form on everything, so I could only do minimum weight and because of that I was unable to find my proper 5 rep max. Due to this my routine was pretty half assed, I would just jump up weight when it felt right versus actually following the numbers as they are set in the routine. Starting last week I finally found my grove with both weight and form which allowed me to jump up 15-20 pounds from the previous week in most exercises.

The problem I am finding now is that once I started going heavier I began to have difficultly sleeping. This started last Wednesday and the only day I was able to sleep fine was Sunday night(2 days after my last lifting session). Today I decided to check the web to see if they could be related and found that insomnia is a symptom of overtraining, along with increased chance of sickness(cold/sore throat), longer recovery time, and decreased appetite; all of which I have.

My question to you all is, do you believe this is a case of overtraining and if so, what steps should I take to correct this? I know rest is a major factor, but for how long and should I do some mild lifting or cardio? And if you don't believe this is a case of overtraining, any thoughts on how to help me sleep other than alcohol or pills? And before anyone mentions it, sex doesn't help me fall asleep any easier either.

Maybe. It depends on how much you lift, how much you eat, and how much you rest. If you think you might be overtraining, just take a week off and see how you feel.

What time of the day are you lifting? Are you taking an supplements? Are you having sex with a woman, man, or your hand?

ZMA helped my sleep a lot. But I think it's a bit difficult to overtrain in just a couple of weeks. Back off the weights a little bit for 1 week a see if you feel better.

crazy. im going through the same shit right now. ive been working out at least 4 days a week for almost a year now and my body has had it. i jog just about everyday. i feel like pure shit. sore throat, runny nose, no appetite, insomnia. all that good stuff.

rest, drink alot of water, milk (if you can) and juice. eating right is very important. eat alot of fruits and veggys. just take a few days off to recover and you should be fine.

My diet mostly consists of chicken, ground turkey, romaine lettuce, and canned vegetables.

As far as supplements I have been taking GNCs Megamen multivitamin, protein, and Glucosamine Sulfate. Yesterday I started taking fish oil and green tea extract in addition to the others mentioned.

I generally get to the gym at 4:15 and leave between 6:00 and 6:30. I normally start with 10 minute warmup on a bike, then start with the weights. After I finish with the weights I will start hitting a heavy bag, or jump on the treadmill for a while.

I doubt you really need an answer to it, but neither sex with a woman or with a hand helps with sleep. And I am not willing to test it out with a man.

In such a short time I doubt you are overtraining.

My diet mostly consists of chicken, ground turkey, romaine lettuce, and canned vegetables.

As far as supplements I have been taking GNCs Megamen multivitamin, protein, and Glucosamine Sulfate. Yesterday I started taking fish oil and green tea extract in addition to the others mentioned.

I generally get to the gym at 4:15 and leave between 6:00 and 6:30. I normally start with 10 minute warmup on a bike, then start with the weights. After I finish with the weights I will start hitting a heavy bag, or jump on the treadmill for a while.

I doubt you really need an answer to it, but neither sex with a woman or with a hand helps with sleep. And I am not willing to test it out with a man.

You're not overtraining.

I thought you might be lifting a bit later in the day.

Try ZMA, or if that fails, a triple dose of benadryl. Or just get on the sauce.

Lifting late at 16.30?? Most of the time if im working my sessions start at 19.00/20.00 :icon_cry2

I will give zma a shot. I originally thought all of my symptoms together were a coincidence, since when I normally feel sick I lose my appetite and I am sure that doesn't help with recovery time. Just when I started looking up about troubled sleep did it seem like it might be more than that and I figured I would ask.

I do have one other question though, since I started the 5x5 improperly to begin with and I am nearing the deload week. Should I start over, continue on with the program, or scrap it and start a new program? And thanks for all the replies.

I will give zma a shot. I originally thought all of my symptoms together were a coincidence, since when I normally feel sick I lose my appetite and I am sure that doesn't help with recovery time. Just when I started looking up about troubled sleep did it seem like it might be more than that and I figured I would ask.

I do have one other question though, since I started the 5x5 improperly to begin with and I am nearing the deload week. Should I start over, continue on with the program, or scrap it and start a new program? And thanks for all the replies.

Deload and start over

It doesn't really seem like their is anything wrong with your diet or workout program to make you not be able to sleep at night but like others have said take a drug to help you get to sleep.
As far as your workout program is concerned, deload and restart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back