Overeem's chance in Boxing?

Yes .Like that ever gonna happen:redface:

We'll see.

He stated that he and his management are actually in talks with their people to set this up.

I highly doubt Mayweather would do it but I could see Pacman accepting the challenge.

He has talked about taking an MMA fight.

Goin back to Topic .I believe if Overeem dedicitated himself for the next few years to just pure boxing,he be an interestin fighter to watch.

By the way Reem probably understands he wouldnt be on top of the game in boxing otherwise he would switch long ago.And instead of making hundreds of thousands a fight hed make big millions.

Kickboxers who switched permanently from K1 style of fighting into boxing are

Matt Skelton

Alexander Ustinov

Last edited:
The odds would definitely be against him making a transition at this late in his career but if matched, and trained properly who knows how far he would go. I would watch it.

hmm. Thanks for the vid. So where do you think Overeem would stand? Could he breach the top 10 in your opinion? He has insane knockout power no? And some good defense. He show's a ability to learn. I was thinking since Roach was touting Arlovski as a guy who would do well in boxing's HW division..well Overeem would have a real good shot.

Didn't Manny start as a kickboxer? So did the Klitchko's correct? They are doing quite well.

Ray Sefo was one of the slickest K-1 heavyweights in recent memory, he was so difficult to hit cleanly and when he was hit; he proved to have a pretty solid jaw to go with his heavy hands. He couldn't even get past Chester Hughes. Overeem would get nowhere near the top 10 within the next decade.

Feel free to throw in other's from K1 if you would like. Gokhan Saki for instance. Cheers :)[/QUOTE]

i also think saki has good boxing.

He could build a padded record if managed right, but I think his chin will fail him when he steps up to regional level.

Goin back to Topic .I believe if Overeem dedicitated himself for the next few years to just pure boxing,he be an interestin fighter to watch.

By the way Reem probably understands he wouldnt be on top of the game in boxing otherwise he would switch long ago.And instead of making hundreds of thousands a fight hed make big millions.

Kickboxers who switched permanently from K1 style of fighting into boxing are

Matt Skelton

Alexander Ustinov]

Add Vitali, Mike Bernado and a good few Thai's aswell.

I do think that kickboxers have a bit of an advantage in the switch compaired to boxers doing the reverse simpley because there having to refine one area of their skill set rather than learn entirely new ones. As far as which sport is more "skillful" goes its obviously impossible to say for sure but my impression is that there both pretty close today.

The big factor though is obviously going to be how seriously someone takes the switch. Some half assed switch for a quick novelty buck would likely be just as unsucessful as boxers doing the same in k1 have been.

Add Vitali, Mike Bernado and a good few Thai's aswell.

I was more referring to K1 guys that switched to boxing .I think Bernardo retired in 2004 from K1 and his last boxing bout was in 2001 . :) By the way i never knew Bernardo held a WBF World heavyweight title,something that now belongs to Holyfield:)

Which Thais went into boxing from Mt??

The big factor though is obviously going to be how seriously someone takes the switch. Some half assed switch for a quick novelty buck would likely be just as unsucessful as boxers doing the same in k1 have been.

I agree 100%.

Last edited:
Good God no he does not have the chin, luckily he is in a sport where you can be KOd and still be in the mix, so although it is his biggest weakness he can manage.

If he went to boxing he would be KOd a few times and fade into obscurity

I actually just want to see him get KOd.

ive been a boxing fan all my life and i can honeslty say theres no way in the world he can be a top boxer in the heavyweight division...i know this division is def weak...but you can discount wladimir kiltschko and his brother vitali...there power alobe(especially wlad)would kill overeem...we also have david haye...sam peter, im sorry...hes in a whole diff sport...its kinda like a boxer(a physically fit boxer..toney doesnt count...hes a joke to boxing)trying to do mma or kickboxing...it wouldnt work

he has a punchers chance but I doubt very seriously he can hang with the top guys.

no kickboxer could beat top boxers in a boxing match. it is just too different of a sport. if alistair went solely to boxing, he could have some sucess i am sure. however i doubt he would reach the high levels.

Feel free to throw in other's from K1 if you would like. Gokhan Saki for instance. Cheers :)

Tyrone Spong.

Floyd Mayweather Sr. was impressed with Spong's skills. Said that he could be a champ with enough training.

I am not aware of any top K1 fighters who have moved to boxing and made a splash. I don't know how much the top K1 guys make. I am sure that they do very well but I doubt that they make as much as a top HW boxer does (if somebody can correct me on this, please do)

So there should be a large economic incentive for them to try to make the switch. The fact that has not happened probably tells you all you need to know about how well they think that they would do in pure boxing.

Of course, a guy like Overreem with his mystique from K1/MMA and his overall look could probably plot a careful course in boxing and make some money. Even if he flamed out at the top level

Will be no different than James Toney's chance in MMA..........

WTF Excuse the man for getting caught twice in 15 years.

Tua, Tyson, Vitali, Grant, Bruno, Holyfield, and Mercer couldn't stop Lewis.

People need to watch fights and not quote everything they read in some garbage article.

I followed Lewis's career. I didn't say he had a paper chin, but I don't think Overeem does either. Lewis's is probably better, but it wasn't on the level of other great HW champs.

Will be no different than James Toney's chance in MMA..........

K1 is alot closer to boxing then mma is. I believe Tony had alot less of a chance in mma then say overeem vs a boxing equivalent of Couture.

K1 is alot closer to boxing then mma is. I believe Tony had alot less of a chance in mma then say overeem vs a boxing equivalent of Couture.

I agree with your statement to a point,but i think its really important to remember that Overeem only has 11 Kickboxing matches and hes been KOd in 3 of those.
I think its also important to remember that "Pro" Boxers constantly take blows to the head as there sport requires it and in MMA its not like that...
So im basically saying i wouldnt compare Overeem's chin to any "Pro" Boxer's and judging by the fact hes been KOd 6x in MMA and 3x in Kickboxing(which isnt good for only 11 fights)I dont think it will work out for him,especially in the Heavyweight Division......hell get crushed..

Back