Overeems boxing is average at best

His biggest asset is intimidation...most of the HW fighters probably know now he falls like a log when he gets hit...he's human. He folds when the fight doesn't go his way. Just like brock.

Yeah just like Brock! I mean let's face it wasn't as though he ever showed heart, ask Carwin he'll tell you.

Nolan Ryan was an average pitcher. Most overrated pitcher ever.

Carry on.

All time leader in no-no's with 7 . Played baseball in 4 different decades, recieved 98% first ballot hall of fame, 8 time all star, ALL TIME STRIKE OUT LEADER.
ari3_2.gif

All time leader in no-no's with 7 . Played baseball in 4 different decades, recieved 98% first ballot hall of fame, 8 time all star, ALL TIME STRIKE OUT LEADER.
ari3_2.gif

Lol. I said the same thing without being as funny.

Guy knows dick about baseball apparently.

Regardless of how you feel about Overeem's hands, Mir's are fucking atrocious so Overeem's relative skill doesn't matter at all. Mir is the most robotic, predictable "striker" in just about any division and no one would give him any credit were it not for him knocking out a MRSA infected Nogueira. Overeem by first round destruction.

So a whitebelt who goes to striking class once a week is critiquing Overeem and calling him a shitty boxer cause his coach said so. Lolz.

I'm not even saying I'm defending Reem but I do find this thread hilarious. Can you even break down why Reem has "disappointing punching power" for his size because of his "technique"?

Lol TS gets told by his bitter nobody coach at some mcDojo in some podunk town that the 2010 K-1 grand prix champ has poor striking and he just believes it right away. Lol just lol.

So a whitebelt who goes to striking class once a week is critiquing Overeem and calling him a shitty boxer cause his coach said so. Lolz.

I'm not even saying I'm defending Reem but I do find this thread hilarious. Can you even break down why Reem has "disappointing punching power" for his size because of his "technique"?

According to the OP it's disappointing because he knee'd them into oblivion instead =P

His striking defense it pretty bad, he got away from it in K-1 with larger gloves giving him a bigger guard.

His striking defense it pretty bad, he got away from it in K-1 with larger gloves giving him a bigger guard.

I think his defense that he developed in K-1 actually messed up his striking defense for MMA, his gas tank has always been a problem too.

Went to my weekly MMA class 3 days ago, and the session focused on boxing. Everyone was assigned a partner at the end to spar with, and out of no where, my instructor shouted everyone stop! He then got us all to observe these two heavyweights who were sparring and he said watch these two and tell me what you see is wrong. These two heavyweights then went into sparring mode and my impression was that they were slow, predictable and solely focusing on power. My coach then told them to stop and said "What you see in front of you is a shabby display of boxing which only demonstrates power and how to gas within 2 minutes". He then brought up Overeem as an example how he has average boxing at best and how he needs to get rid of Roberto Flamingo as his striking coach if he wants to improve on his striking.

I have always been critical of overeem, and this little lecture from my coach really reinforced the fact that overeems striking is not as good as people make it out to be and his boxing definitely is far from elite. Ive rarely seen overeem throw any combos at all, his boxing defence is crap (always relied on those big K1 cushions to block shots, doesnt work in MMA for him) and his boxing power is also disappointing for how big he is, and I put that down to his technique.

Overeem has relied to much on his knees throughout his career, and it was effective against lower calibre fighters, however in the UFC, ones boxing ive found has to be solid and effective otherwise you will have a disadvantage on the feet.

I think if Frank Mir can surive the first few mins against overeem, then I think Frank can outbox him and score the Knockout. But personally I think that match is a made fight for overeem who will use his clinch and press Mir up against the cage to then score the KO.

First, I'm not going to pretend that Overeem has exemplary boxing. But A pet peeve of mine is when people watch MMA then pull in other sports to prove they are not good at an asset of MMA. It's like watching soccer and saying, "See, now that is a kick. Mirko Cro Cop is not good at kicking. Because he can't kick like that." It is two different sports! Yes, there is obvious cross over in terms of technique among the combat sports, but you have to adapt each combat sport in order to make it work in MMA. If an olympic wrestler watched even other olympic wrestlers in MMA and only judged their wrestling he would say, "They are standing too high? Why don't they have their power leg forward? These guys are no good at wrestling."

So just to make you aware of some of the boxing adaptations that have to happen when you do MMA:

A) You need to stand more squared up to defend takedowns.
B) You don't have giant pillow hands to cover your face and neither does your opponent so you don't actually need to do as much to set up a power strike, hence a lot of guys throw a lot more power strikes.
C) If you are against an elite wrestler, you may have your hands a little lower than normal to prepare for a sprawl.
D) Although different boxers prefer different weight distrbution from front leg to back leg, you will never see an MMA fighter have an 80% back leg 20% front leg weight distribution because he will be on his ass in seconds.
etc.

So yes, if they walked into a boxing ring and started boxing exactly how they do in MMA, then frankly every MMA guy would suck at boxing. But they wouldn't do that. And by the way, take the absolute best boxer in your gym, and if he has 0 cross training, his boxing will mean shit in MMA. He better learn to adapt it quick.

Went to my weekly MMA class 3 days ago, and the session focused on boxing. Everyone was assigned a partner at the end to spar with, and out of no where, my instructor shouted everyone stop! He then got us all to observe these two heavyweights who were sparring and he said watch these two and tell me what you see is wrong. These two heavyweights then went into sparring mode and my impression was that they were slow, predictable and solely focusing on power. My coach then told them to stop and said "What you see in front of you is a shabby display of boxing which only demonstrates power and how to gas within 2 minutes". He then brought up Overeem as an example how he has average boxing at best and how he needs to get rid of Roberto Flamingo as his striking coach if he wants to improve on his striking.

I have always been critical of overeem, and this little lecture from my coach really reinforced the fact that overeems striking is not as good as people make it out to be and his boxing definitely is far from elite. Ive rarely seen overeem throw any combos at all, his boxing defence is crap (always relied on those big K1 cushions to block shots, doesnt work in MMA for him) and his boxing power is also disappointing for how big he is, and I put that down to his technique.

Overeem has relied to much on his knees throughout his career, and it was effective against lower calibre fighters, however in the UFC, ones boxing ive found has to be solid and effective otherwise you will have a disadvantage on the feet.

I think if Frank Mir can surive the first few mins against overeem, then I think Frank can outbox him and score the Knockout. But personally I think that match is a made fight for overeem who will use his clinch and press Mir up against the cage to then score the KO.

overeem has terrible boxing. unfortunately most mma fights do aswell.

overeem is one of the more elite strikers in mma though.

Overeem may be an average boxer to some, but there is no denying he has lethal as fuck knees.

Mir is in trouble.

Mir-TKO.gif

I don't think Overeem's main problem is his chin but rather the way he reacts to getting hit. He just proceeds to back up and allow his opponent to finish the job. Its similar to the way Brock reacted to getting hit except Overeem has so much experience that its frankly embarrassing that he reacts like a wrestler with a few years of striking experience.

Lol, yeah ok.

FYI

Career ERA 3.14, Strikeouts 5,714 (record), 61 shutouts (7th), 7 no hitters. Yeah he fucking blew.:rolleyes:

ari3_2.gif

Lol. I said the same thing without being as funny.

Guy knows dick about baseball apparently.

Actually I know alot more about baseball than either of you. Thats pretty clear (you didnt even get Ryan's career ERA right. Its 3.19)

-Ryan lead the league in walks 8 times and is the all time leader in walks by (and this isnt a typo) 962 Walks. Steve Carlton (who is second and pitched relatively the same amount of innings) has 1811 walks to Ryan's 2795.

-Ryan's .309 OBP is not even in the top 100 all time.

-His WHIP is a pedestrian 1.24.

-His career ERA+ is 112 (100 is avg). If you understand ERA+ That means he was only 12% better than league average. As a comparison, Pedro Martinez's ERA+ is 154. Roger Clemens' is 143.

-He never won a single Cy Young Award (which means even during his time he was never regarded as the best pitcher)

-During Ryan's career the league ERA was 3.56. Which means his career 3.19 ERA wasnt only a little better than league avg. By comparison Tom Seaver, had a 2.86 ERA compared to the league avg 3.64.

and on, and on.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit calling him average but he is unquestionably the most overrated pitcher of all time. Its not even a controversial statment really. Most hardcore baseball fans agree on this.

Actually I know alot more about baseball than either of you. Thats pretty clear (you didnt even get Ryan's career ERA right. Its 3.19)

-Ryan lead the league in walks 8 times and is the all time leader in walks by (and this isnt a typo) 962 Walks. Steve Carlton (who is second and pitched relatively the same amount of innings) has 1811 walks to Ryan's 2795.

-Ryan's .309 OBP is not even in the top 100 all time.

-His WHIP is a pedestrian 1.24.

-His career ERA+ is 112 (100 is avg). If you understand ERA+ That means he was only 12% better than league average. As a comparison, Pedro Martinez's ERA+ is 154. Roger Clemens' is 143.

-He never won a single Cy Young Award (which means even during his time he was never regarded as the best pitcher)

-During Ryan's career the league ERA was 3.56. Which means his career 3.19 ERA wasnt only a little better than league avg. By comparison Tom Seaver, had a 2.86 ERA compared to the league avg 3.64.

and on, and on.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit calling him average but he is unquestionably the most overrated pitcher of all time. Its not even a controversial statment really. Most hardcore baseball fans agree on this.
He also barely won more games than he lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back