Overeems boxing is average at best

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by incaviking**, Oct 17, 2013.

1. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Went to my weekly MMA class 3 days ago, and the session focused on boxing. Everyone was assigned a partner at the end to spar with, and out of no where, my instructor shouted everyone stop! He then got us all to observe these two heavyweights who were sparring and he said watch these two and tell me what you see is wrong. These two heavyweights then went into sparring mode and my impression was that they were slow, predictable and solely focusing on power. My coach then told them to stop and said "What you see in front of you is a shabby display of boxing which only demonstrates power and how to gas within 2 minutes". He then brought up Overeem as an example how he has average boxing at best and how he needs to get rid of Roberto Flamingo as his striking coach if he wants to improve on his striking.

I have always been critical of overeem, and this little lecture from my coach really reinforced the fact that overeems striking is not as good as people make it out to be and his boxing definitely is far from elite. Ive rarely seen overeem throw any combos at all, his boxing defence is crap (always relied on those big K1 cushions to block shots, doesnt work in MMA for him) and his boxing power is also disappointing for how big he is, and I put that down to his technique.

Overeem has relied to much on his knees throughout his career, and it was effective against lower calibre fighters, however in the UFC, ones boxing ive found has to be solid and effective otherwise you will have a disadvantage on the feet.

I think if Frank Mir can surive the first few mins against overeem, then I think Frank can outbox him and score the Knockout. But personally I think that match is a made fight for overeem who will use his clinch and press Mir up against the cage to then score the KO.

2. SlomiGa

SlomiGa MMAathmetician

I'm not saying Overeems boxing is the best but to call it average, even by MMA standards, is retarded.

3. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

His biggest asset is intimidation...most of the HW fighters probably know now he falls like a log when he gets hit...he's human. He folds when the fight doesn't go his way. Just like brock.

4. Sinc3r3

Sinc3r3 Black Belt

Being an average boxer in MMA is more than enough, let's not forget his kicks and knees, since this is MMA and not Boxing, are well above average.

5. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Average as in average in the HW division.

6. SlomiGa

SlomiGa MMAathmetician

I used the word "retarded" but that came across a bit harsh in hindsight. However, Overeem's boxing is definitely above average, his problem is cardio and chin. That's how I perceive it, anyway.

7. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Unfortunately at this level, ones boxing has to be above average, especially if you are fighting someone who is hard to clinch and has good enough kickboxing to check leg kicks.

8. Bull Terrier

Bull Terrier Brown Belt

He doesn't kick much at all, but his knees are fucking vicious when he uses them.

I agree TS, his pure boxing looks quite poor. He rarely throws combos, doesn't seem to jab much, no variety of punches etc. The worst is his defence, it is absolutely appalling. I still don't understand how Browne landed that kick on him.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. Andre Xiong

Andre Xiong Silver Belt Professional Fighter

Granted he is primarily an mma fighter with roots in muaythai and even grappling, this isn't exactly news.

He is a very good striker in every aspect: knee, clinch, punch, kick. But he is not a boxer. He is an mma and K1 champ.

10. JoseAldoKillaBe

JoseAldoKillaBe Black Belt

First, he is not a boxer, so we can't expect him to fight like one.
    Second, he is known for throwing single strikes with his hands and not combinations, nothing new here. He still beat some of the best kickboxers in the world with this style, gotta give credit where credit is due.
    Third, his main problem in the ufc is that he is out of the juice.
    Fourth, i have a hard time seeing Mir knocking him out or doing pretty much anything well against him, unless he gas pretty hard and Mir is still very fresh, which is unlikely if Mir gets beat up early... coming from the guy that predicted BigFoot would knock the reem out.

11. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Apart from the Todd Dufee KO, which quite frankly was poor defence on Duffees part, who has Overeem KO'ed with his hands on the feet? Also I want you to think of this, why does this supposed striker regularly take down these inferior strikers such as Brett Rogers, Bigfoot (tried to do it against Browne too) if he is so much of a good striker?

12. SlomiGa

SlomiGa MMAathmetician

Because he's an MMA fighter with a good ground game. Just because he's got good striking, doesn't mean that it's only thing he does.

13. Tankeray

Tankeray The Progeny of Beast of Woe

He has zero head movement.

14. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

I think young boxers should watch Overeem videos in classes to promote how not to box. I agree, ive rarely seen overeem throw a jab, and he has very little variety in his striking arsenal. And his boxing defence is dreadful!!!!! He was lucky he didnt fight JDS, that is a horrible fight for him style wise.

15. PowermmA

PowermmA Purple Belt

His boxing has beem terrible in the octagon. Slow, robotic shit and defence. He has no fluidity cause of all that muscle

^^^^and yup no head movement

16. Nova Union

Nova Union Green Belt

I'd take Overeem's boxing over anyone in the heavyweight division. He's in a different timezone when it comes to speed

17. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Well Overeem kept saying how Bigfoot doesnt wanna stand with him cos he would get knocked out. As far I recall, Overeem got tagged a few times due to poor head movement and not bringing his lead hand back to cover his face (boxing basics) and wanted none of bigfoot on the feet so took him down. Overeems stand up is massively overrated, his stint in the UFC has shown that, just acknowledge that.

18. RoryFan

RoryFan Wears Hats

He looks good doing it though.

19. RoryFan

RoryFan Wears Hats

The reem is so swole he has to walk through doors sideways.

20. incaviking**

incaviking** White Belt

Are you joking???/ JDS, Hunt, Cain, Cormier, Miocic and Barry all have better boxing than Overeem imo.