Overeem vs. Barnett in early 2017? Also: The rest of the HW division

Koloth

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I have compiled all the heavyweight fights currently announced (as per Sherdog & Wikipedia):

Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez @ UFC 207 (title contender eliminator)
Walt Harris vs. Chase Sherman @ UFN 103 (Harris is probably fighting for his career here)
Viktor Pesta vs. Damian Grabowski @ UFN 103
Cyril Asker vs. Dmitry Smolyakov @ UFN 103
Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou @ UFC on Fox 23
Adam Milstead vs. Curtis Blaydes @ UFN 104
Justin Ledet vs. Dmitriy Sosnovskiy @ UFN 104 (a very promising newcomer! He tko'd Alexsander Emeliankeno!)
Marcin Tybura vs. Luis Henrique @ UFC 208
Travis Browne vs. Derrick Lewis @ UFC 208
Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve @ UFN 105 (uhm.. what the fuck?)

Now let's look at who's left in the heavyweight division. Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar and Ruslan Magomedov are currently suspended. Mark Hunt is still pissed at the world, Gabriel Gonzaga is unofficially retired unless Dana pays up and Todd Duffee is still lying in some Octagon in San Diego. Stipe will obviously defend his title against the winner of Werdum/Velasquez II.

That leaves the following heavyweights without announced fights:

Josh Barnett
Alistair Overeem
Ben Rothwell
Oleksiy Oliynyk
Alexander Volkov
Daniel Omielańczuk
Timothy Johnson
Shamil Abdurakhimov
Anthony Hamilton
Jarjis Danho
Christian Colombo
Mark Godbeer
Chris De La Rocha

We've already seen Rothwell fight both Barnett and Overeem, so those matchups arent that intriguing anymore. From (perennially semi-retired) Oliynyk down nobody has the rank or name to deserve to be matched up with either Barnett or Overeem. Therefore it is clear as day that we will see those legends matched up against each other:

Josh 'The Warmaster' Barnett vs. Alistair 'The Reem' Overeem in early 2017

Quite incredible that those two who have both been fighting for 15-20 years and have been at the top of the heavyweight division for so long never faced each other before. This fight should happen before either of them retires, and with the division looking as it does, this is exactly what will happen.

To put it simply: Anything else makes no sense at all. And I for one am excited.

WAR BARNETT!

Last edited:
<mma4>

Not bad, Mr. TS. And I'm with you, war Barnett.

<mma4>

Not bad, Mr. TS. And I'm with you, war Barnett.

I wanted to play fantasy matchmaker for the division, but after substracting all the announced bouts there wasnt much left to matchmake with :D. It's very obvious that the Barnett-Overeem matchup is perfect now.

Hoping that Tybura, Ngannou, and Sosnovskiy shake things up. I'm a fan of most of these older guys who have been around forever but we need some new top guys at HW.

I wanted to play fantasy matchmaker for the division, but after substracting all the announced bouts there wasnt much left to matchmake with :D. It's very obvious that the Barnett-Overeem matchup is perfect now.

Yeah there have been a lot of HW match ups announced in the last few days. Just last week I was talking about how hardly any top HWs have fights scheduled now most of them do :)

Hoping that Tybura, Ngannou, and Sosnovskiy shake things up. I'm a fan of most of these older guys who have been around forever but we need some new top guys at HW.

I actually think that the UFC has done a really good job signing new talent for the heavyweight division within the last few months. Adam Milstead, Curtis Blaydes, Justin Ledet, Dmitriy Sosnovskiy, Marcin Tybura, Alexander Volkov, Mark Godbeer and of course Francis Ngannou are all very promising imho.

Didn't even know the UFC had that many HW's...

Well now you do ;)
And it feels like about half the roster got signed within the last year. Lots of promise there! Keep an eye out for Justin Ledet btw. That dude hasnt got a lot of hype on sherdog but his hands look really good and he seems like a cool cat.

(Harris is probably fighting for his career here)
He arguably should have beat Shamil in Portland. He should be able to out wrestle Sherman to a W...if i'm thinking of the right guy.

I actually think that the UFC has done a really good job signing new talent for the heavyweight division within the last few months. Adam Milstead, Curtis Blaydes, Justin Ledet, Dmitriy Sosnovskiy, Marcin Tybura, Alexander Volkov, Mark Godbeer and of course Francis Ngannou are all very promising imho.

Most definitely, they have stepped their game up. Still a lot of guys out there for them to sign too

Denis Goltsov
Sergey Pavlovich
Evgeny Ehrokhin
Denis Stojnic

I have compiled all the heavyweight fights currently announced (as per Sherdog & Wikipedia):

Walt Harris vs. Chase Sherman @ UFN 103 (Harris is probably fighting for his career here)
Justin Ledet vs. Dmitriy Sosnovskiy @ UFN 104 (a very promising newcomer! He tko'd Alexsander Emeliankeno!)

Now let's look at who's left in the heavyweight division. Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar and Ruslan Magomedov are currently suspended. Mark Hunt is still pissed at the world, Gabriel Gonzaga is unofficially retired unless Dana pays up and Todd Duffee is still lying in some Octagon in San Diego. Stipe will obviously defend his title against the winner of Werdum/Velasquez II.

Josh Barnett
Alistair Overeem
Ben Rothwell
Oleksiy Oliynyk
Alexander Volkov
Daniel Omielańczuk
Timothy Johnson
Shamil Abdurakhimov
Anthony Hamilton
Jarjis Danho
Christian Colombo
Mark Godbeer
Chris De La Rocha

We've already seen Rothwell fight both Barnett and Overeem, so those matchups arent that intriguing anymore. From (perennially semi-retired) Oliynyk down nobody has the rank or name to deserve to be matched up with either Barnett or Overeem. Therefore it is clear as day that we will see those legends matched up against each other:

Quite incredible that those two who have both been fighting for 15-20 years and have been at the top of the heavyweight division for so long never faced each other before. This fight should happen before either of them retires, and with the division looking as it does, this is exactly what will happen.

To put it simply: Anything else makes no sense at all. And I for one am excited.

WAR BARNETT!
Thank you for the effort you put into this. It should be done for all divisions.

wly5o9.jpg

Most definitely, they have stepped their game up. Still a lot of guys out there for them to sign too

Denis Goltsov
Sergey Pavlovich
Evgeny Ehrokhin
Denis Stojnic

Wow, that Goltsov dude looks very good on paper! 26 years old with over 20 fights experience and wins over Erokhin, Cisse, Rogers, McSweeny, Kyle and Buentello. I would certainly like to see him in the UFC.

I'm very surprised to see Stojnic did so well for himself! Last time I saw him he was getting pieced up by a newcomer named Cain... I feel a little bad for him, being cut after losing to Cain and Struve wasnt all too fair in hindsight, but then again the UFC had so many promising heavyweights back then. Nowadays he seems a little old, but I could see the UFC giving him another shot on some future european card.

Here are two other guys I'd like to see:
Zoumana Cisse, the only dude to ever defeat Ngannou, and Wieczorek, the submission artist who defeated Cisse. Both are big (>250pd) heavyweights, not like most of the bloated LHW's out there:

JDS vs Struve?! oh man they really want to get rid of Struve

JDS vs Struve?! oh man they really want to get rid of Struve

I truly cant figure out the thinking behind that match-up... Struve has juuuuust been gaining some steam by defeating Bigfoot and Omielanczuk and now they feed him to JDS, an ex-champ and perennial contender who already knocked him silly in under a minute once and who holds a victory over the current champion...??? What the fuck?

(I would've made Struve-Volkov btw, and if he had won that: Struve-Rothwell)

Barnett vs boa constrictor Olyinic would be good . Two high class grapplers going at it . Alexiy has 40 sub wins which is the most on any heavyweights resume in the ufc . Also has 50 wins total and that is a huge number for the big guys ...... Why not ?

Barnett vs boa constrictor Olyinic would be good . Two high class grapplers going at it . Alexiy has 40 sub wins which is the most on any heavyweights resume in the ufc . Also has 50 wins total and that is a huge number for the big guys ...... Why not ?

I used to dream of a Mir - Oliynyk fight, but for some reason the latter seems to be content fighting once per year...

Josh Barnett
Alistair Overeem
Ben Rothwell
Oleksiy Oliynyk
Alexander Volkov
Daniel Omielańczuk
Timothy Johnson
Shamil Abdurakhimov
Anthony Hamilton
Jarjis Danho
Christian Colombo
Mark Godbeer
Chris De La Rocha

WAR BARNETT!
I asked duffee online and he said he's not returning unless the money is right. Doesn't want to lose money on a fight camp

I truly cant figure out the thinking behind that match-up... Struve has juuuuust been gaining some steam by defeating Bigfoot and Omielanczuk and now they feed him to JDS, an ex-champ and perennial contender who already knocked him silly in under a minute once and who holds a victory over the current champion...??? What the fuck?

(I would've made Struve-Volkov btw, and if he had won that: Struve-Rothwell)

Well, Struve also has a victory over the current champion. AND both him and JDS have been pointing at that particular W and making noises like it should be a factor in getting a title shot. Maybe this is just UFC's way to reduce that manner of lobbying by half.

Back