Overeem vs. Barnett in early 2017? Also: The rest of the HW division

I actually think that the UFC has done a really good job signing new talent for the heavyweight division within the last few months. Adam Milstead, Curtis Blaydes, Justin Ledet, Dmitriy Sosnovskiy, Marcin Tybura, Alexander Volkov, Mark Godbeer and of course Francis Ngannou are all very promising imho.
Don't forget Vitaly Minakov. He's a beast

Blaydes vs Milsted and Tybura vs Henrique are low key solid fights. All four guys got serious potential.

Bottom of the HW division has improved a bunch. Some legit up and coming tslent

Most definitely, they have stepped their game up. Still a lot of guys out there for them to sign too

Denis Goltsov
Sergey Pavlovich
Evgeny Ehrokhin
Denis Stojnic

Pavlovich is skilled as fuck

Barnett vs Overeem makes sense, I like it. I can see it happening. Some very good HW fights coming up.. I am high on Ngannou, he is a killer, see him going to the top. He has it! I see it in him.

I just realized that I didnt take into account the possibility of the UFC waiting for Cain-Werdum to happen before they announce any more fights. In that case the loser could either go up against Rothwell, Overeem or Barnett.

I dont think the matchmakers are that foolish though. In that scenario Rothwell/Overeem/Barnett would face many additional months to get back in the octagon, which none of them should want at this point in their career. If Werdum loses the Barnett matchup would be a dream, but nobody would want Werdum-Overeem again. That would mean Overeem-Rothwell II (which isnt a horrible idea). If Cain loses you get interesting matchups, but also a giant risk that he'll get hurt again and make everyone wait even longer. (Didnt he even announce that he'll have surgery after this fight?)

So Barnett-Overeem is still the smart fight to make.
Rothwell might be kept on standby for the next two-three months in case anyone drops out of the big fights (including the title fight).

I have compiled all the heavyweight fights currently announced (as per Sherdog & Wikipedia):

Fabricio Werdum vs. Cain Velasquez @ UFC 207 (title contender eliminator)
Walt Harris vs. Chase Sherman @ UFN 103 (Harris is probably fighting for his career here)
Viktor Pesta vs. Damian Grabowski @ UFN 103
Cyril Asker vs. Dmitry Smolyakov @ UFN 103
Andrei Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou @ UFC on Fox 23
Adam Milstead vs. Curtis Blaydes @ UFN 104
Justin Ledet vs. Dmitriy Sosnovskiy @ UFN 104 (a very promising newcomer! He tko'd Alexsander Emeliankeno!)
Marcin Tybura vs. Luis Henrique @ UFC 208
Travis Browne vs. Derrick Lewis @ UFC 208
Junior dos Santos vs. Stefan Struve @ UFN 105 (uhm.. what the fuck?)

Now let's look at who's left in the heavyweight division. Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar and Ruslan Magomedov are currently suspended. Mark Hunt is still pissed at the world, Gabriel Gonzaga is unofficially retired unless Dana pays up and Todd Duffee is still lying in some Octagon in San Diego. Stipe will obviously defend his title against the winner of Werdum/Velasquez II.

That leaves the following heavyweights without announced fights:

Josh Barnett
Alistair Overeem
Ben Rothwell
Oleksiy Oliynyk
Alexander Volkov
Daniel Omielańczuk
Timothy Johnson
Shamil Abdurakhimov
Anthony Hamilton
Jarjis Danho
Christian Colombo
Mark Godbeer
Chris De La Rocha

We've already seen Rothwell fight both Barnett and Overeem, so those matchups arent that intriguing anymore. From (perennially semi-retired) Oliynyk down nobody has the rank or name to deserve to be matched up with either Barnett or Overeem. Therefore it is clear as day that we will see those legends matched up against each other:

Josh 'The Warmaster' Barnett vs. Alistair 'The Reem' Overeem in early 2017

Quite incredible that those two who have both been fighting for 15-20 years and have been at the top of the heavyweight division for so long never faced each other before. This fight should happen before either of them retires, and with the division looking as it does, this is exactly what will happen.

To put it simply: Anything else makes no sense at all. And I for one am excited.

WAR BARNETT!

noticed you omitted Mark Hunt.

JDS vs Struve II?

Wow. The UFC has just gone full retard with the matchmaking these days. No wonder the HW and LHW divisions have become so uninteresting.

Im sure literally nobody in the world wants to see a rematch of a one-sided fight that meant nothing then and means nothing now.

;)

I'd love to see him back though. For whatever reason I really like the mumbling Jesus-freak. But I'm afraid he might not fight in the UFC again...

Ya sorry, I skimmed over that part haha. I'm of the belief that if they give mark the right dollar amount he'll come back. It's just now he's got more leverage for negotiating than ever considering how bad the ufc decision to give the exemption to Brock looks in hindsight now that we know he popped twice.

But yeah, there is always that chance he does retire.

JDS vs Struve II?

Wow. The UFC has just gone full retard with the matchmaking these days. No wonder the HW and LHW divisions have become so uninteresting.

Im sure literally nobody in the world wants to see a rematch of a one-sided fight that meant nothing then and means nothing now.

Yea mma fans. Ufc has literally 10-12 very good HW matchups scheduled but let's bitch about the one bout that doesn't make sense

Wieczorek is sloppy as fuck and relies heavily on subs. Doesn't use any size to advantage and doesn't look like he'll inprove anytime soon.

Yea mma fans. Ufc has literally 10-12 very good HW matchups scheduled but let's bitch about the one bout that doesn't make sense

They dont even have 10-12 good HWs... much less matchups..

what the fuck are you talking about

Barnett vs Overeem makes sense, I like it. I can see it happening. Some very good HW fights coming up.. I am high on Ngannou, he is a killer, see him going to the top. He has it! I see it in him.

<mma4>

Not bad, Mr. TS. And I'm with you, war Barnett.

I'd go with The Reem against Barnett.

Reem needs a win to face Junior again and then get KO'd by him <cheer>

I'd go with The Reem against Barnett.

Unfortunately I would agree with you in that I have a hard time seeing Barnett trouble Econoreem. Damn, I would be rooting for Barnett though...

Back