Overeem says tried to fight Fedor at Bellator 269 Fedor declines

Oceanmachine

Tidwell belt
Banned
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-turned-him-down-three-times-bellator-269/amp

I believe it

According to Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko declined to face him in his return fight.

Instead, Emelianenko will be taking on Tim Johnson in the main event of Bellator 269 on Oct. 23, a decision Bellator president Scott Coker says Emelianenko made based off of rankings.

But Overeem (47-19) says Emelianenko (39-6 MMA, 3-2 BMMA) didn’t only turn him down once – he’s been trying to fight him for over a decade now.

We tried to make a little bit that Fedor fight, and that was kind of radio silence on that end,” Overeem said on “The MMA Hour.” “But that would be something I was interested in.”

He continued, “We tried to make that fight 2010, when he fought Werdum and I fought Brett Rogers – declined. After he lost to Werdum, we tried to make that fight. He declined, and now he has declined. So that’s three declines, so I think, with all due respect, but there is no interest from that side to fight me, and I cannot blame Fedor. Listen, I’m getting a little bit older, myself. A little bit, not too much. He’s a little older than me, I think he’s 45 or 46, so I understand. But I have done everything I can do to make that fight happen – 10 years ago, but also now.”

After failed discussions with Bellator to make the Emelianenko fight happen, Overeem has moved on, but in a different direction. Though he’s not completely ruling out a return in MMA, Overeem is visiting his old stomping grounds of the kickboxing world, and the former K-1 champion will be challenging heavyweight titleholder Rico Verhoeven at “GLORY: Collision 3,” which takes place Oct. 23 at GelreDome, a 34,000-seat stadium in Arnhem, Netherlands.

Overeem and Fedor were both in the Strikeforce GP. If Fedor was scared to fight Reem, he wouldn’t have entered a tournament with him, on the same side of the bracket no less. It just wasn’t meant to be then. Fedor obviously lost to Bigfoot, but it wouldn’t have mattered if he had won. Overeem won his fight against Werdum, then pulled out of his 2nd round fight citing a broken toe (IIRC), then was pulled from the tournament, and then went to the UFC.

Overeem and Fedor were both in the Strikeforce GP. If Fedor was scared to fight Reem, he wouldn’t have entered a tournament with him, on the same side of the bracket no less. It just wasn’t meant to be then. Fedor obviously lost to Bigfoot, but it wouldn’t have mattered if he had won. Overeem won his fight against Werdum, then pulled out of his 2nd round fight citing a broken toe (IIRC), then was pulled from the tournament, and then went to the UFC.

I remember that fight against werdum was so bad werdum was out striking him even tho he was flopping to back very boring fight overeem was so tired after I think fedor would have beat overeem since he’d be trying to strike not do takedowns like Bigfoot Bigfoot was on juice 2

I remember that fight against werdum was so bad werdum was out striking him even tho he was flopping to back very boring fight overeem was so tired after I think fedor would have beat overeem since he’d be trying to strike not do takedowns like Bigfoot Bigfoot was on juice 2
Yeah the Overeem-Werdum fights is one of the worst of all time. It was like Ngannou-Lewis or Yoel-Izzy levels of awful. Hard to say what would’ve happened in a Fedor-Overeem fight. Overeem was still on the horse meat then, and his striking was really nasty at the time.

If
Yeah the Overeem-Werdum fights is one of the worst of all time. It was like Ngannou-Lewis or Yoel-Izzy levels of awful. Hard to say what would’ve happened in a Fedor-Overeem fight. Overeem was still on the horse meat then, and his striking was really nasty at the time.

I want this fight to still happen

Imagine Fedor being KO how you guys will spin it "oh but prime fedor would win" despite Reem hacing no chin anymore and being also washed up

Overeem has returned to GLORY has his own big fight coming up against champ Rico Verhoeven. Guess he just misses MMA is what has brought these Fedor regrets.

If Overeem loses to Rico badly, which I think Overeem will be outpointed by Rico since he is not a huge power guy, then I could see Fedor vs. Overeem as a retirement bout.

Overeem didn't cycle for the fight.

Overeem is a well known liar and bullshitter, so I don't trust a single word he says (just see his comical denial of roiding).

Also, after Werdum beat Fedor, Overeem is on record saying he was only interested in fighting for the title- so again, easily proven lie by Overoid.

He probably asked too much from Bellator, and Coker said nah.

If

I want this fight to still happen

Imagine Fedor being KO how you guys will spin it "oh but prime fedor would win" despite Reem hacing no chin anymore and being also washed up
Fedor vs Overeem right now is a 50-50 crapshoot.

Well Fedor wont accept the fight.... or is Overeem lying?
No, I don’t think Overeem is lying—we know that Fedor preferred to fight a ranked opponent rather than an old legend on that card, and the Timothy Johnson fight was booked. I’ve posted quite a bit as to why I think that was the case. But we shall see.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-turned-him-down-three-times-bellator-269/amp

I believe it

According to Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko declined to face him in his return fight.

Instead, Emelianenko will be taking on Tim Johnson in the main event of Bellator 269 on Oct. 23, a decision Bellator president Scott Coker says Emelianenko made based off of rankings.

But Overeem (47-19) says Emelianenko (39-6 MMA, 3-2 BMMA) didn’t only turn him down once – he’s been trying to fight him for over a decade now.

We tried to make a little bit that Fedor fight, and that was kind of radio silence on that end,” Overeem said on “The MMA Hour.” “But that would be something I was interested in.”

He continued, “We tried to make that fight 2010, when he fought Werdum and I fought Brett Rogers – declined. After he lost to Werdum, we tried to make that fight. He declined, and now he has declined. So that’s three declines, so I think, with all due respect, but there is no interest from that side to fight me, and I cannot blame Fedor. Listen, I’m getting a little bit older, myself. A little bit, not too much. He’s a little older than me, I think he’s 45 or 46, so I understand. But I have done everything I can do to make that fight happen – 10 years ago, but also now.”

After failed discussions with Bellator to make the Emelianenko fight happen, Overeem has moved on, but in a different direction. Though he’s not completely ruling out a return in MMA, Overeem is visiting his old stomping grounds of the kickboxing world, and the former K-1 champion will be challenging heavyweight titleholder Rico Verhoeven at “GLORY: Collision 3,” which takes place Oct. 23 at GelreDome, a 34,000-seat stadium in Arnhem, Netherlands.

Shouldn't have cheated

Guy is in his 40s and doing a farewell tour, I am fine with him picking and choosing his fights at this stage

Fedor dont want that smoke. Shame cause even a decade too late its still a fight fans would be into but instead you get a shit fight nobody cares about

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back