Overeem = Journeyman or Contender?

TheWalrusNo9

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is Overeem an overhyped "Journeyman" or a legit title contender?

He obviously has immense potential, but so did Brandon Vera and so many others. Will he ever put it all together or is always going to gas/wilt under pressure?

What does he need to do to fully realize his potential?

His failures are the results of having a bad chin and not being tough enough.

I still expect him to KO Mir though.

I think he's a party guy and journeyman. He has great talent but is comfortable being where he is and enjoying high profile as a fighter and enjoying a higher class lifestyle. Not sure if he is willing to go the minimalist route and dig deep enough to realize the fullest extent of any potential he has left.

He's starting to look to me like a reaaally good gatekeeper

Funny to me how fast everyone evacuated his bandwagon. You used to see his smug visage in every third avatar.

i'm not the guy who really cares that much about Overeem, but his only poor loss is the bigfoot fight (in the UFC) if he had been better prepared for that fight (he was too confident) and fought smarter he would have had a title shot (UFC160)

the Browne fight could have been easily stopped, and he will most likely KO Mir.

one or two more wins after Mir and he will be back to where he was after the Brock fight.

Seems to me he has already reached his full potential. His chin will just keep getting weaker and weaker. He looked like a beast facing sub par competition in Strikeforce, which created a bandwagon of hype that he clearly couldn't live up to. That being said I love watching him fight, it sucks that he gasses out but we all know that's what being to muscular does to you.

I think he is a legit contender.....as long as he can prevent from getting hit hard. He lost his last 2 fights, but he showed that he can win those fights. He was beating Silva without much problems and nearly had Browne beaten.

Mir is a good fight to get back on track. My money is on Overeem

In the UFC's HW division those aren't mutually exclusive terms.

Could be introduced as 'former contender Alistair Overeem..'

I would say most heavyweights get knocked out if they get hit with a good shot from a 240lb+ man. My main concern with Overeem, is his cardio. After 1 min of going hard, he's shot.

Overeem has no chin, heart or cardio to be a contender, just an overrated cheater.

I think he is a legit contender.....as long as he can prevent from getting hit hard. He lost his last 2 fights, but he showed that he can win those fights. He was beating Silva without much problems and nearly had Browne beaten.

but he's been like that since his Pride days. Every time Overeem get's fed a consistent diet of contenders he get's soundly defeated a great majority of the time.

He's potential that will probably never be met. Imo. Skillwise he can beat anyone except maybe Cain. He's just got to fix some problems he's had his entire career...which he has failed to do so far and he's getting older...

but he's been like that since his Pride days. Every time Overeem get's fed a consistent diet of contenders he get's soundly defeated a great majority of the time.

Anyone who has followed his career since Pride knew he was a paper tiger. They noobs bought in to WWE Uubereem destroying inferior competition fighting in the minors.

My favorite from Uubereem fanboys was the excuse that all his losses in Pride was because he was always gassed from cutting so much weight. Now he's always gassed because he can't get enough oxygen to his fake muscles.

No amount of oxygen can do anything about his glass chin.

Seems to me he has already reached his full potential. His chin will just keep getting weaker and weaker. He looked like a beast facing sub par competition in Strikeforce, which created a bandwagon of hype that he clearly couldn't live up to. That being said I love watching him fight, it sucks that he gasses out but we all know that's what being to muscular does to you.

well he soundly beat werdum (though the fight was boring) he clearly won.. so he can beat top level guys.. he just thinks trying to be a bully is the best way to do it.... i never bought into that hype for him. never buy into the hype when a guy has a chin made or sand

Legit contender. He is going to crush Mir and I didn't say the same thing before the Bigfoot fight.

Back