Over 7 years later and I still don't understand why Punk/Danielson didn't main WM 2014

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I wasn't really watching wrestling at the time and I'm basing this mostly on the Danielson Raw takeover. I know Danielson was near his hometown, so the building was stacked with his fans. However, this is the kind of momentum that they could have built upon. The crowd clearly didn't give a shit about H's speech about whatever. The crowd only even cheered Cena cause he was talking about Danielson.

Didn't they use to gauge potential matchups on crowd reactions, i.e., Warrior/Hogan Royal Rumble 1990.

When people tell me how get H is, I always think about how this.

Last edited:
Dave Bautista came back full of Marvel star power.

Like some guys only big in the rasslin bubble should ever headline over that.

He was still in a Marvel movie.

Those are as big as it gets no matter what.
Well the audience turn on Big Dave A-lister and best friend of Chris Pratt in favor of some 5'9 indy geek with a dad bod and neck beard.

And the company lost 250 mil in one day after the 5'9 indy geek with a dad bod and neck beard left Mania as the champion.

But Yes! chants.

Punk was washed as a Main Eventer all of 2013, no way he should've been anywhere near the WM main event in 2014. Punk lost every big match he had in 2013, to The Rock at the Rumble, The Undertaker at WM, Brock at Summerslam, Cena in a #1 contenders match. Then he followed all his big losses by eating pins from Curtis Axel on PPV followed by getting wrecked by The Shield every week before he walked out.

Dude basically lost for a year straight.

Punk was washed as a Main Eventer all of 2013, no way he should've been anywhere near the WM main event in 2014. Punk lost every big match he had in 2013, to The Rock at the Rumble, The Undertaker at WM, Brock at Summerslam, Cena in a #1 contenders match. Then he followed all his big losses by eating pins from Curtis Axel on PPV followed by getting wrecked by The Shield every week before he walked out.

Just like his UFC run....Vince was booking him realistically. <Lmaoo>

Summer of Punk was the summer of junk and he was still the second most over person in the ring. Imagine if he hadn't been booked to lose and they actually tried with him.

And he was still the second most over person in the ring. Imagine if he hadn't been booked to lose and they actually tried with him.

They did try with him, in 2011 and 2012. They gave him a 434 day reign as World Champion and fans started turning on him and they had to turn him heel half way through his reign because he got stale extremely quick.

His biggest chance to main event a Mania would've been 2012, but there was no way in hell he was going on after The Rock's return match.

Dude had a run of a life time in 2012, and became fodder for bigger stars in 2013. Maybe if he stuck around in 2014 he would've had another monster year with Bryan going down to injury, we'll never know because Punk took his ball and went home because he couldn't be "the guy" for one year.

They did try with him, in 2011 and 2012. They gave him a 434 day reign as World Champion and fans started turning on him and they had to turn him heel half way through his reign because he got stale extremely quick.

His biggest chance to main event a Mania would've been 2012, but there was no way in hell he was going on after The Rock's return match.

Dude had a run of a life time in 2012, and became fodder for bigger stars in 2013. Maybe if he stuck around in 2014 he would've had another monster year with Bryan going down to injury, we'll never know because Punk took his ball and went home because he couldn't be "the guy" for one year.
You just told me that they had Punk losing and losing. Now you tell me that they did....?

We all know that simply giving someone a title reign isn't trying. Rey Rey was champ for 3 or 4 months and they made sure his reign was a joke.

Punk shouldn't have main'd over Rock/Cena nor should've wanted to.

The problem I have is that they didn't try. And we need not to pretend that they did. If they really wanted to try, they would give him the Triple H 1999 treatment instead of the Rey Rey 2006 treatment even if his held the belt for a long time.

You just told me that they had Punk losing and losing. Now you tell me that they did....?

We all know that simply giving someone a title reign isn't trying. Rey Rey was champ for 3 or 4 months and they made sure his reign was a joke.

Punk shouldn't have main'd over Rock/Cena nor should've wanted to.

The problem I have is that they didn't try. And we need not to pretend that they did. If they really wanted to try, they would give him the Triple H 1999 treatment instead of the Rey Rey 2006 treatment even if his held the belt for a long time.

A 434 day reign as WWE Champion wasn't trying with him? Longest reign since Hogan and that ain't trying? Spent that run going over Cena, Bryan, Kane, Jericho, ADR, Ryback, The Miz and basically every guy that could possibly main event during that era and that ain't trying? The guy ran through their entire roster and that ain't trying? LMAO bruh

Punk had a lukewarm reign from a drawing and buyrate standpoint and they still kept trying and trying with him at the top during it, they even tried switching him to heel and gave him Heyman mid way through his reign to try and breath life back in to him.

Yeah he lost and lost in 2013 to Rock, Taker, Brock, Cena, which means he was washed and not prime for a WM main event in 2014, but losing to those guys is an easy recovery. A lot of champions have a down year after they lose the belt where they're not "the guy" when there's stacked rosters, most of them recover and become the guy again. Was CM Punk not capable of that? Dude didn't even try and took his ball and went home instead. Dude literally said in interviews him not being handed the main event of Wrestlemania is the reason he walked out, when people roasted him hard for it, he changed his story to him leaving because of staph infection lol

Imagine John Cena, Triple H, The Rock, Steve Austin, Randy Orton, etc. walking out of the company because they didn't get to main event the show at the exact moment they wanted to, regardless if it was the right time or not lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back