Over 30 and competing in the adult division?

You can compete down in age in IBJJF comps. Megaton Dias is in his 40's I think and still competes at adult.
Time to destroy the teen division. Just kidding.

Aren't the matches shorter for the older divisions?

Time to destroy the teen division. Just kidding.

Aren't the matches shorter for the older divisions?

From what I've seen they make the matches for the white belts but it doesn't change based on age

I have found little difference in quality between the adult and masters divisions. The adult may have a few more "super athletic" people, but I find there are also more easy matches. In masters, it seems most people who are competing take their training pretty seriously, and I don't see too many pushovers.

I'm a blue belt and have competed in both fwiw. Lately I have been going masters because one of my teammates at the same weight goes adult. I'd rather do what's best for the team.

You can always compete in the adult division if you are over 30. Most tournaments will allow you to compete in both, except for IBJFF tournaments. I always compete in both masters and adult divisions at every tournament I go to.

The skill levels are very similar, but the adult divisions are tougher due to higher athleticism and deeper divisions.

You can always compete in the adult division if you are over 30. Most tournaments will allow you to compete in both, except for IBJFF tournaments. I always compete in both masters and adult divisions at every tournament I go to.

The skill levels are very similar, but the adult divisions are tougher due to higher athleticism and deeper divisions.

That's a lot of matches in one day man... I think I better stick with just one per tourny until my cardio gets better :)

Thanks for the heads up though.

LoL dude, doesn't you being able to compete in both pretty much negate the need for you to do masters?

I have found little difference in quality between the adult and masters divisions. The adult may have a few more "super athletic" people, but I find there are also more easy matches. In masters, it seems most people who are competing take their training pretty seriously, and I don't see too many pushovers.

I'm a blue belt and have competed in both fwiw. Lately I have been going masters because one of my teammates at the same weight goes adult. I'd rather do what's best for the team.

I'm 32 and have always competed in the adult division, and will continue to do so until I feel I am not competitive there.

From what I've seen, though Wrestleben has it right. The masters who compete, are serious about their training and competition. The adults division usually has the super athletic guys, but there are also a lot of guys who go in at the last second on a whim, so there are some pretty easy matches occasionally. It seems the guys competing masters are less likely to do that.

Back