Over 30 and competing in the adult division?

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is it possible to compete in grappling tournaments in the adult division if you are over 30?

How strict is the IBJJF about making sure competitors stick with their appropriate age divisions?

I've seen guys go down an age group before, I don't know if is against the rules though.

You can compete down in age in IBJJF comps. Megaton Dias is in his 40's I think and still competes at adult.

It's usually up to you at most tourneys. Since it would most likely be a disadvantage rather than an advantage it's not usually against the rules. In my experience anyway,,

Sean Spangler competes in the adult and is in his 40s

First tournament I cometed in masters, the last 3 I competed in Adult due to lack of competitors in the masters division. Still deciding what I want to do for the US Open though, since we already have 4 or 5 guys in the adult division already competing.

I think it depends on the size of the tourney. If there aren't a lot of people in the Adult division for your weight then I would assume that there would be no problem. But if the division is close to full they might want you to stick to your own age group.

My coach is 35 and Bruno bastos told him he is dropping from masters and doing the adult division this weekend.

You can always compete in the adult if you want no matter how old.

Is the level of competition usually more competitive in the Adult division or is it generally about the same? I realize this is more of a matter of opinion but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Is the level of competition usually more competitive in the Adult division or is it generally about the same? I realize this is more of a matter of opinion but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I'd say it's more competitive in the adult division -- i think most competitive guys over 30 will want to compete at adult, and fight more matches.

Yup of course you can.

You can drop down and enter the adult division in IBJJF tournaments. But you can't enter both Adult and Masters in the same tournament.

All points made. I'm close to 37 and always compete in adult and occasionally also the masters in local comps, but I live a clean life and have a lot of time to train. I'm also always competitive in the adult divisions. I think masters and seniors are reserved for when you actually get older older, like 40's and also for the guys that only have a limited amount of time to train. I'd also say it's maybe good for when you get up to a higher level in the browns and blacks. Funny enough, I've had quite a few tough matches in the masters divisions in some local/regional tournaments and an easier time occasionally in the adult. Just depends.

I do adult and Executive or Masters divisions....never IBJJF though

i will answer your question with a question:
why do you think they have divisions based on age?

and do you know the effects of aging?

i will answer your question with a question:
why do you think they have divisions based on age?

and do you know the effects of aging?

Allow me to answer your question with a question.. Does anyone like you? I mean anyone.. Parents, teachers, girlfriend etc?

Have you noticed a difference in the level of comp or is it basically the same?

I haven't noticed a difference. Level mainly depends on the size or importance of the tournament. I also have a rule that the farther the opponent has to travel, the better they are. :icon_lol:

Back