OTHER than wrestling, BJJ, boxing and muay thai...

That was before he was taking Sambo seriously. He tooled black belts Barroso and Rogerio de Lima on the ground and submitted them easily.
You do realize that "just" having a black belt in any single discipline while fighting in MMA does not mean one thing or another, right? It's how well you apply your skills within the game itself. Joe Lauzon and Urijah Faber both only have a brown belt in BJJ, and in their prime they were some of the most dangerous grapplers in the game.

Karate. Shoot boxing/wrestling. Catch. Irish Collar. JKD. Certain hard styles of Kung Fu. Aikido. Judo. Kudo. Fencing.

Last edited:
Fedor owes everything to Sambo and said that Sambo is the best base for MMA (first question in the interview):

Fedor is just promoting Combat Sambo since he became the posterboy of CS after he quit competing in judo. Don't confuse CS with sport sambo though, apple and oranges.

Probably point karate or what GSP did. GSP credited it for helping him figure out timing for takedowns. People laughed at him and called it stupid. But I mean, GSP had the best takedowns and didn't have a background in wrestling.

Isn't sambo just a hodge podge of other martial arts?

You do realize that "just" having a black belt in any single discipline while fighting in MMA does not mean one thing or another, right? It's how well you apply your skills within the game itself. Joe Lauzon and Urijah Faber both only have a brown belt in BJJ, and in their prime they were some of the most dangerous grapplers in the game.

Krylov applies his skills well because of Sambo

Combat sambo obviously.

And American kickboxing.

Can't imagine any of the arts left being a better starting point than Combat Sambo. Honestly I like Sambo as a sport too, I wish it was around in the states more. I would have loved to do that in High School/College

Drunken Monkey

Kung_5fc86c_983584.gif

bTl6i.gif

Real Judo is BJJ.
Prob is most modern schools have watered down the art and train it specifically for competition.

But to answer TS karate.

Foot work and striking techniques within karate have given many fighters the tools to improve there overall MMA skill set.

We have seen in the last few years more fighters using spinning attacks with greater sucsess in addition to other kicks as well as techniques involving footwork within karate.

I admit there is a crossover between TKD as well with both styles using similar techniques.

Back