Other fighter cuts that just plain don't make sense/piss you off

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BLIND, Sep 30, 2013.

1. BLIND

BLIND Brown Belt

I was perusing fight finder and came across Aaron Simpson's record and noticed that he got cut pretty abruptly. His UFC record was 7W 4L. Was on a 3 fight win streak before he got KO'd by Mike Pierce. He wasn't the best ever, but he entertained in almost every fight he had.

Of course there's the Gerald Harris cut. Jon Fitch. Antonio McKee was also cut unfairly, even though I don't like his fights anyway. It's just rather unsettling how many fighters get cut with an isolated loss.

Of the 4 I mentioned only 1 is considered an exciting fighter, i know. Though i personally like Harris. All this will get out of hand soon enough and a new org will have enough top fighters to challenge the UFC someday. It has been etched into the cosmos by the gods themselves.

2. Hans Gercmiov

Hans Gercmiov Steel Belt

The Okami cut is the first one I've really disagreed with. I was surprised when Fitch got cut but I was like meh.

3. jn677**

jn677** Orange Belt

harris was pretty bad cut.

4. Blayt7hh

Blayt7hh Steel Belt

Hmmmm was their another reason that Aaron Simpson got cut? I find that one odd, especially since the UFC was really trying to sell him for a minute.

But yeah I agree TS that all those you listed were pretty shitty cuts.

5. HardwoodOctagon

HardwoodOctagon Gold Belt

The last time I had any kind of feelings about a cut was when they let Ben Saunders go. I realize he was never going to be a champion, but he was usually an exciting fighter.

After that, I kinda just stopped caring one way or another because there were just so many fighters in the UFC (and still are). Unless the let someone go who has the potential to be a champion, I don't see why anyone would really care. We can all watch WSOF or Bellator, you know.

6. aquamanpunch

aquamanpunch Silver Belt

Kurt Holobaugh, young talented kid who lost to Steven Siler in an exciting, competitive fight that shoulda won FOTN over Miller/Healy. 1 fight and done.

Caros Fodor too.

7. natman589

natman589 Orange Belt

volkmann. 6-2 in his last 8 fights and gets cut

8. Black Gi

Black Gi Gold Belt

It's all good for Bellator.

9. MassDebater

MassDebater Orange Belt

Jon Madsen got cut pretty quick after his first loss.

10. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

so far all the fighters mentioned have been boring grinders. although i don't agree with some of the cuts, that is the reason for them.

Simspon/Fitch/Okami/Harris/Madsen/Volkmann.

Edit: i didn't see Aquamanpunch post, i agree kurt was a tough cut.

11. natman589

natman589 Orange Belt

indeed. but lets not start a discussion of ufc=entertainment or ufc=sport, or what mix of both.

i take the view that it should be the pinnacle of MMA fighters, and so a lot of these cuts arent warranted in my opinion. I know a lot of other people will disagree with me though.

12. I was sad when Paul Sass got cut, kid had a sick finishing streak before he ran into better competition. I think he could have improved, hope he still does and gets back in.

13. Marx Marvelous

Marx Marvelous Yellow Belt

I remember being surprised when they cut Todd Duffee. I think there was some extraneous reason for it (beyond him losing) but I can't remember what it was.

14. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

i agree in some regard, the problem i always have with grinders (okami/fitch/volkman) was they never seemed to try to finish the fight. they had opportunities to go for subs but decided to take the safe way and grind to a decision.

another example was DHK versus Siyar, he never really tried to finish the fight. he had mount for so long but did nothing but stop siyar from escaping. if he losses to Erick Silva we may be having this discussion again :redface:

15. Abalone

Abalone Orange Belt

tim means

16. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

depends on who you believe.......... i heard (rumour) that he pulled out of a fight (supposed injury) to do a movie. dana found out he wasn't injured and cut his ass.

the other rumour i heard, was he complained too much about fighter pay and he wasn't as needed as he thought he was.

17. Francis Rossi

Francis Rossi Here's a song for ya

Wasn't he turning down fights, demanding bigger names? May have been someone else though.

18. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

Aaron Simpson is nearly 40 and his KO against Pierce was one of those scary ones. He's a good dude and very likeable but he was fringe UFC caliber and at the end of the line. He also went 1-2 in his last 3. Add all that up and == pink slip.

Antonio McKee was 41 when he got signed, mostly to get it out of the way. If you are the career wrestler who takes a loss to another wrestler in your first outing, thats an easy cut - LW is too deep a division for that.

Jacob Volkmann I didn't agree with - he's most certainly a UFC caliber fighter and put five in a row together. I didn't find him boring because he's constantly looking for a choke, and finally found it against Shane Roller. He was getting better at MMA grappling. Consider he went 1-2 in his last three, both losses by submission, deep division etc. Had he not opened his mouth to complain about the UFC he would likely have gotten invited back, when a short-notice injury opening popped up. He blew that though.

Gerrard Harris nobody really knows what happened. It made zero sense and he was coming off a fantastical stoppage victory. The fight with Falcaio was weird and definitely not a reason to cut someone - something went on behind the scenes that rubbed the back office the wrong way.

Fitch hit a rough spell, was never a company man, and legitimately looked like he couldn't hang with the best anymore. Hendricks put him out with one punch and then a grappler in Maia ran over him. I can see 'best days behind' him point.

Okami is the first cut that truly baffles and disappoints me. No sign of decline, just beat Lombard and Belcher who were legit ranked guys. He's only 32, and a lifelong company man for the org. Totally wack. I'll watch him wherever he goes.

19. natman589

natman589 Orange Belt

i wouldnt be so upset if certain fighters didnt get obvious passes for mediocrity

20. aker2703

aker2703 Banned Banned

he was two rounds down and in the third just stood there and tried nothing. if he had gone out on his sword he would have got another fight for sure.

Volkmann, well he was 1-2 in his last three and just doesn't know how to STFU. and like you said he burnt his bridges for sure.