Orlando Salido

Heikki Mustola

Slightly Psychotic
@Brown
Reaction score
How good is he actually? What do you think of him as a boxer?

For me, Salido is fairly new fighter to hear about. I first heard about him only at his 2014 Fight of the Year contender fight against Terdsak Kokietgym. What a fight it was!

Then he managed to beat Vasyl Lomachenko. Granted, this was Vasyl's second pro fight only. I haven't seen the whole fight, but I have seen some highlights and bits of here and there. I heard that Salido fought very dirty in this fight and of course there was the weight issue..

But yeah. I recently checked some of fighter's wikipedia pages and came up to his. Good amount of wins (42), but also plenty of losses (12). A lot of his losses came early though, at one point he seemed to have 6-5-1 record. Some of his losses are to very good fighters as well, such as Gamboa, Miguel Angel Garcia, Juan Manuel Marquez and Roman Martinez

I did see him beating some notable names though! Juan Manuel Lopez x2 (both via TKO), Orlando Cruz (TKO), Vasyl Lomachenko (SD) and UD win over Robert Guerrero, but having that overturned to NC after failing a drug test.

After seeing those names, I am surprised by myself that I haven't heard more about him.

But as usual, I wanted to ask you guys what you think of him? A great, good, decent or meh fighter? Dirty or not? (I dont like what I have heard though + that failed drug test...)

Good fighter who is certainly dirty and has been a part of several great fights. He's obviously on the downside of his career, but he's still plenty tough, crafty, and dangerous. The Martinez rematch should be another great fight.

No one has ever had an "easy" time beating him. And he has one of the stronger resumes in the Sport.

One of my favorite boxers. I loved his two fights with Juan Manuel Lopez. He's always exciting.

Exciting does seem to match him. I need to watch more of his fights, just started to watch one. Thanks for the answers as always!

Shame about him being a dirty fighter and I hate PED users, but its always good to know more about fighters and I like to hear other people's opinions here since I find it quite interesting

dirty fighter, super rough, former PED user. Yet entertaining and tough enough that I really don't care. One of the purest pressure fighters out there.

Easily one of my favorites. He's the modern day Arturo gatti...a true blood and guts warrior.

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter hit the canvas as much as he has

Agree he's dirty.Never liked him actually though I respect his tenacity and fighting spirit.

He traveled to Puerto Rico and beat up Juanma twice. one bad dude

Easily one of my favorites. He's the modern day Arturo gatti...a true blood and guts warrior.

I don't think I've ever seen a fighter hit the canvas as much as he has

There was what, 7 knockdowns in total in his fight against Kokietgym? Crazy.

Marquez may have something to say about that.

Marquez always whines that he dominated every fight that went to decision. But that fight sucked because Salido made it ugly and didn't cooperate with JMM one bit.

Lot of people forget the ass whooping he put on Ghost. Even though it was overturned for pissing hot, I doubt the roids had as much of an impact as many think. He was just too much for Guererro.

Last edited:
Marquez always whines that he dominated every fight that went to decision. But that fight sucked because Salido made it ugly and didn't cooperate with JMM one bit.

Salido froze up in that fight, even the commentators on HBO mentioned it. It was an easy win for JMM & the scores of 117-111 118-110 & 117-111 show that.

You're using HBO commentators as evidence of your point? I don't think Salido froze, he knew that being very aggressive with Marquez gets you knocked out. He was attempting to make Marquez lead, which he's far less comfortable doing, and counter the counter-puncher. But hey, you're free to feel however you like. Or rather, however HBO commentary tells you to.

You're using HBO commentators as evidence of your point? I don't think Salido froze, he knew that being very aggressive with Marquez gets you knocked out. He was attempting to make Marquez lead, which he's far less comfortable doing, and counter the counter-puncher. But hey, you're free to feel however you like. Or rather, however HBO commentary tells you to.

Once Salido saw up close how sharp JMM'S counter punching was he shelled up. Lol at him "attempting to make marquez lead" that's hogwash.

Once Salido saw up close how sharp JMM'S counter punching was he shelled up. Lol at him "attempting to make marquez lead" that's hogwash.

Not really. Marquez will freely exchange, but usually it's in response to his opponent's attack. Making Marquez lead first makes him less sure of what he wants to throw.

Yeah but I don't think that's what Salido was doing, I just think he was shook.

& either way it was an easy win for Marquez which was my original point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back